Le Rochefort Proposed Group Build Le Rochefort group build, builders wanted.

So far here are the ones that have an interest in Le Rochefort. Enough ( I think ) for a group build:
@tonphil1960
@Tobias
@Bill-R
@Jwallkc
@Martin555.

I am seriously thinking of ordering the monograph as well (if I can talk the Admiral into it), but I can not promise I can start it immediately. I have had this vessel on my to-do list as a good starter scratch for myself. Who knows, maybe in a few months, I could jump in. If I were to do this, I might just build it as a Navy Board style and no hull planking.

Now, Zoltan informed me that the monograph plans do not have a Bill-of-Materials (lumber list) as this is up to the individual as to what scale they want to build.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This info is NOT meant to violate any copyright information but is only to INFORM the reader.

However, according to the Sorolla Book, the author built his based on the as-built plans, therefore:

"The same thickness will be needed for the construction of the Keel, the Stem, the Sternpost, and inner Framing Parts, such as the Transoms, Breast-Hooks, Keelson, and Deck Clamps. The same thickness is also needed for the frames." This information is taken from the book: "An Introduction to Model Ship Building 'Dockyard Style'" the author is Adrian Sorolla. This book was or can be purchased from www.ancre.fr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Donnie.
Sorry to disappoint you guys but I did state in a previous post that ' I would love to join in the group build but I do not have the finances to be able to purchase the items required to build this ship.
Again sorry.
Martin.

There’s a list of scantings in Gerard’s book and also Adrian gives you a list for the frames and keel. It’s rough but it’s there.

Well, the Admiral sometimes gets involved with my ships (as maybe getting one for Christmas), but I have already put in my wish list for her this time. However, she said that if I want the plans, then I probably need to order them for myself this time.
So, let me see what I want to do. If I make the order, I will let you all know.
On the ancre site for the Le Rochefort, not only do they have the plans listed, they also have this "book" that it seems that is purchased separately.for 25 Euro
Can someone tell me what this "book" is that is listed? Its says "Book in English only"

1669477544974.png

Hello Donnie. With Ancre it is often a bit complicated, I'll try to explain. For example, you can choose your monograph in the languages you like, then you get the book in English + the plans in the standard version (for Le Rochefort 1:36).
However, you can also buy it in other scales 1:24 or 1:48. Please note that you can only buy the book in one of the four languages if you already have the whole set (book and plans). The same applies to the plans, which can be ordered separately. With Le Rochefort it is actually very nice because you can choose between language and scale 1:36 and 1:24, but if you want 1:48 you have to have the basic monogram already. I hope I could explain it understandable and there are no translation problems.C5AFBF19-F554-4107-B0E5-4223F14ACCE2.jpeg

C3B324A3-0A12-4454-8678-2519933F56E0.jpeg

6D578757-06CF-418F-8C8B-2D3AF81CA43C.jpeg

Thank you Tobias, but just to clarify my ignorance. When they refer to "the book", I assume that it is the 96-page booklet ?
The first 4 items in the four selectable languages are the companion book to the monograph with the 16 plans. In the scale 1:36
FF3C5719-82E3-4BB9-81C5-0A5579CB3033.jpegD679E703-D47A-47EE-8219-00966D751087.jpeg
These two versions are The book with 96 pages and the 16 plans

Thank you Tobias, but just to clarify my ignorance. When they refer to "the book", I assume that it is the 96-page booklet ?
Yes you order the plans and book together. The book is required to understand how the ship was built in my opinion. Can’t hurt to have it that’s for sure.

In time, I wish that the ones building this LeR (Le Rochefort) would mention where they are buying their wood and supplies from (unless you already have them on hand) - This would help others (like myself) with who to buy from and what kind of wood you are choosing - not that I want to copy your choice of wood, but rather demonstrate.

Zoltan sent me two links and I only know of one- please share if you know of other suppliers

https://hobbymill.eu/
https://modellbau-holz.jimdo.com/startseite/zum-shop/holzleisten-hölzer-von-l-bis-z/
https://www.dlumberyard.com/ (mills mostly in Imperial)

In time, I wish that the ones building this LeR (Le Rochefort) would mention where they are buying their wood and supplies from (unless you already have them on hand) - This would help others (like myself) with who to buy from and what kind of wood you are choosing - not that I want to copy your choice of wood, but rather demonstrate.

Zoltan sent me two links and I only know of one- please share if you know of other suppliers

https://hobbymill.eu/
https://modellbau-holz.jimdo.com/startseite/zum-shop/holzleisten-hölzer-von-l-bis-z/
https://www.dlumberyard.com/ (mills mostly in Imperial)
Hello Donnie
I will order my wood from my regular supplier (modellbau-holz.jimdo), but I would also like to try Hobbymill.eu because they have holly that appeals to me very much. As already mentioned, I will use pear again for the frame. Boxwood for the appliqués, ebony for the hull and other small things. For the planking on the outside I will use Swiss pear. The floorboards will be American maple or tulipwood.

Tobias,
so this means when you place your order, you must have studied the plans to see what all (sizes) are needed or I assume that you will be milling your own from Billet (solid) stock that has not been milled - sorry for my ignorance here.

I have only built one scratch and that was the Blandford Cross Section that Mike41 designed of which he graciously supplied the Bill of Materials (wood list). Therefore I am a little shy about how to choose the size and quantities. When I get the booklet and plans, I will go through the material and plans and try to formulate a list.

According to your types of wood, your LeR (Le Rochefort) should be very beautiful indeed.

No problem Donnie,
Yes it's true I'm going to do an overview first, and make a little list of the most important woods I need to start with. Everything at once for such a project would be very expensive. In the meantime, I have a small stock that I can fall back on. With Le Rochefort, however, it is very manageable.

33809303-F99E-4875-9D6B-6446C35A81F1.jpeg

Im using Ocooch hardwoods here in the US. Haven't inquired if they'll mill to MM sizes yet but if not Ill go to the next fraction. They will custom mill so I cant see why they should be able to mill metric.
I'm ordering this first to get started.
6.95mm or 9/32. 4 pcs 6"x24"
5.30mm or 7/32. 4 pcs 6"x24"
1.25mm or 1/16. 4pcs 6"x24"
These are for the frames, keel assembly, rising wood frames and a start on interior ceilings.
I'm using Beech, Cherry is also a good choice.

Last edited:
Im using Ocooch hardwoods here in the US. Haven't inquired if they'll mill to MM sizes yet but if not Ill go to the next fraction. They will custom mill so I cant see why they should be able to mill metric.
I'm ordering this first to get started.
6.95mm or 9/32. 4 pcs 6"x24"
5.30mm or 7/32. 4 pcs 6"x24"
1.25mm or 1/16. 4pcs 6"x24"
These are for the frames, keel assembly, rising wood frames and a start on interior ceilings.
I'm using Beech, Cherry is also a good choice.
Tony,these imperial conversions to metric really not good ,gives you inaccurate metric numbers ,is there anybodybody who does metric ,maybe @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Back