Le Rochefort Proposed Group Build Le Rochefort group build, builders wanted.

Toni I thank you for your words, as far as experience is concerned I am still at the very beginning, that is also the reason to join the project, to learn.
Ok yes but your work is great for someone who is just starting scratch work. I was looking at your board you built. You used the Tee slotted aluminum and wood. Is the wood slotted for the alum channels ? I suppose this can be used for any future builds also ? I've seen a few built like this. Is there any particular way to build it or size ?

Oh I see it now yes. its slotted. Couldn't the tee slots also be used to hold the rods for the upper portion of the jig ? Also Ive seen some jigs where the top stays flat with no curvature and others where it follows the curve of the wale. Why does this differ and what reasons are there for using either flat or curved ?

Toni you are right, the board is 125cm long and 75cm wide and should be usable for other boats. The top frame can be straight or curved, depending on what you want to go by. In my case, I followed the waterline which is also shown in the individual plans of the frames. In order to fit the last frames towards the stern exactly, I also adjusted the board slightly upwards because the gap becomes too big.

Rahmen.jpg

In the case of L' Amarante, this is line 9, which is also the widest point.

EA854296-AD44-4443-B075-CA1C0944975C   Bearbeitet.jpg

Last edited:
Ok yes I see. Adrian has specified which line to use also in the book. Getting this right is very important. I wont worry about even building the jig until I'm well into the frame building process.

I am curious, what constitutes a "Group Build"? I thought is that it is a group of builders that have an interest in building the same ship and share ideas. There must be more to this.

Thanks Bill

My wife just told me: "Don't you dare buy anything from Ancre just before Christmas".
I understood and looked up my order history at Ancre and what can I say, yep there were three books ordered without my knowledge. Oh, I'm looking forward to Christmas.
This is an awesome story, Tobi! I wonder if your wife will ship to Brooklyn, NY this year without my knowledge...1669311835533.png

I am curious, what constitutes a "Group Build"? I thought is that it is a group of builders that have an interest in building the same ship and share ideas. There must be more to this.

Thanks Bill
See my post in group build proposals. It would be on the group build board with its own header. Need 10 people and the thread has to be moderated by someone participating yes but it’s a group build to me as long as several are building the same ship. No more difficult to look up progress either. Doesn’t really matter.

Bill,
you are correct in that - what you said does constitute a Build Log. However, we (SoS) has (and I hate to use the word policy as it sounds so restrictive), but we do have a few "guidelines" that we really need to have at least 8 to 10 - however, as I mentioned to Zoltan and others that if this potential Group Build can come up with 4 to 5 very serious builders that will stay committed, then maybe we can get this happen and have it listed in the Group Build Forum Section.
Very serious builders are the ones that are posting on a regular basis. So, lets define not on a regular basis: Post have not been made by any particular individual in lets say 2 to 3 weeks and that is really stretching it. I know, this is hard to define because life happens and other things can get in the way. But if someone has not made any post in about 2 months, then I would have to put that person in an inactive state. Now, Jim, Zoltan, and Uwe might have greater or lesser restrictions.

@Jimsky and @zoly99sask and @Uwek This active or inactive state should be established actually before going further. Any thoughts on how long a post should be absent before it is considered a non-active person?

As far as the availability of lumber, for those that live in the USA, you can contact Dave Stevens at (dlumberyard.com) as he is a sponsor and he can donate the wood to you, but he also has some guidelines to follow. However, the idea of no cost wood is attractive for those that wish to take that route.

Bill,
you are correct in that - what you said does constitute a Build Log. However, we (SoS) has (and I hate to use the word policy as it sounds so restrictive), but we do have a few "guidelines" that we really need to have at least 8 to 10 - however, as I mentioned to Zoltan and others that if this potential Group Build can come up with 4 to 5 very serious builders that will stay committed, then maybe we can get this happen and have it listed in the Group Build Forum Section.
Very serious builders are the ones that are posting on a regular basis. So, lets define not on a regular basis: Post have not been made by any particular individual in lets say 2 to 3 weeks and that is really stretching it. I know, this is hard to define because life happens and other things can get in the way. But if someone has not made any post in about 2 months, then I would have to put that person in an inactive state. Now, Jim, Zoltan, and Uwe might have greater or lesser restrictions.

@Jimsky and @zoly99sask and @Uwek This active or inactive state should be established actually before going further. Any thoughts on how long a post should be absent before it is considered a non-active person?

As far as the availability of lumber, for those that live in the USA, you can contact Dave Stevens at (dlumberyard.com) as he is a sponsor and he can donate the wood to you, but he also has some guidelines to follow. However, the idea of no cost wood is attractive for those that wish to take that route.
I would love not to establish any 'non-active' state for posts. Here is why, for most of us this is only or just a hobby and as you said in your posts, life can come in a way, a million things can happen, and...you will have no time for the forum, your build log and time to build your model. However, sooner or later, life will turn back to you and you might re-establish the build, you can always continue where you left off.

Yes, we need serious builders who will actively post for the group build. Otherwise, why bother to create group builds? The idea of the group build is to have all the information and resources under a single location where members share the knowledge with other members in their build logs and interchange the information gathered. If these criteria don't meet why create a group build?

The idea of the group build is to have all the information and resources under a single location where members share the knowledge with other members in their build logs and interchange the information gathered. If these criteria don't meet why create a group build?
I agree Jim. That is the whole purpose of GBs is for a group to exchange info. It promotes hobbies and interests. I guess I was just being broad in my assessments.
However, to promote a GB so that it becomes part of "the list" in the Group Builds section with the Ships Icon, etc, I have to rely on what you guys think. I am ready to move forward with you all.
so, here is the list that we have so far (taken from the Navigation Bar)

1669344476351.png

I AGREE WITH JIM, I HAVE JOINED GROUP BUILDS THEN FOR LIFE REASONS IN MY CASE PHYSICAL, HAVE NOT BEEN ABEL TO FINISH THEM SOME I HAVE. THAT IS WHY THE ONTARIO AND THE MATTHEW ARE WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. BOTH HAVE PRTOTYPES DONE DRAWINGS DONE. BOTH PRJECTS DONE B7Y SOS MEMBERS/ ADMINISTRATORS, JUST ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Back