Kidney Stone Complications

You aren't wrong there, Steef, but when you get into a hospital environment you see there's always someone worse than your self.
Small consolation at times.

You aren't wrong there, Steef, but when you get into a hospital environment you see there's always someone worse than your self.
Small consolation at times.
So true, and as long as you can say this then you can consider yourself lucky.

Last Saturday had to dial 999.

Kidney issue developed over a week to point I was delirious.
Rushed to Barnsley A&E, who couldn't cope so had me carted off to Pinderfields hospital,Wakefield under blue lights.
Immediate emergency surgery to relieve a blocked kidney, fitting a stent to drain it.
Was told if I hadn't got there, I would have died within 3-6hrs!

Back home...an old man and struggling!

The previous week I had moderate pain, abdomen, right side, for which I took painkillers.
What I wasn't aware of was a subtle diminishing sense of reality.
Saturday morning I realised I was very confused, not capable of the simplest of things and was devoid of any meaningful sense of time.
So called for help.
It was a good thing I did (68 years old, I live alone, no family).

Apologies if I've repeated details.....I'm still not entirely thinking straight.

This time I missed a bullet, just.

Putting this out there in the hope someone may benefit from my experience and survive, as I hope I have, from what was a frightening episode.

Please take care.
Scary to say the least. Please drink plenty of fluids and keep a phone close by. My mom experienced a similar situation and her doctor told her to drink more. Keep a water bottle with you at all times. Take care !

Hi, Terry and Patrick.

Thank you for your kind words and best wishes.

Is it only 3 weeks....it seems like forever to me.

The situation now:-
I'm scheduled for laser surgery to remove the stones and have attended 2 pre-op assessments.
It's now a matter of 'waiting my turn' on the table.

I've had a couple of painful episodes of UT infection, each needing a course of antibiotics, which have been well tolerated and now that aspect has stabalised.

What I hadn't anticipated (look away now if you're squeamish) is the result of the original procedure to get up into the kidney with a camera, suck out all the 'poison' and insert a drainage stent.
I'll leave the entry to your imagination.
It is clear to me now that my prostate was 'bruised', consequently not only is that now painful but it has made me incontinent!
That means my independence has been compromised as I need to be permanently close to the loo!

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate being a survivor of what was originally a dangerous sepsis infection.
But I now realise my journey is not over.

I'm optimistic that the prostate/incontinence issues are temporary and the coming surgery will be successful.

Time will tell. Having just past the age of 68; such things remind one that, for us, time isn't endless.

Once again, thanks for 'calling in'. It's reassuring that others have a care.

Right now might be the worst of it ...waiting in the chute for your eight-second ride.
Prayer is far more powerful than many believe. Soon you'll be thankful your ride is over grinning from ear to ear, and ready to get on with your life.
Terry

Thank you for your interest, Terry.

Good news is I'm booked in for surgery next Tuesday (19th), after a week long hick-up.
Can't wait as my symptoms are steadily getting worse and I'm passing blood every day now.

Wishing everyone Happy Festive Holidays and a super New Year

Hi there, guys.

Just returned home after 14 hrs at the hospital.
The procedure lasted 2.5hrs in theater and two large 12x10mm stones were lasered to pulp and hoovered out successfully, in front of my eyes!

I was passing blood before, but there's a lot more afterwards.
A new stent is in place which will continue my previous discomfort, but will be removed in a week or so, after which recovery should then be rapid (unless an infection develops).

I'm a lot happier now the stones are gone, but clearly I'm not out of the woods completely, but am blithely confident I'm on the mend.

I have nothing but praise for all the care team involved, altogether over 20 individuals, who without exception were cheerful, supportive and made it known my care was their top priority.
Thanks to our remarkable yet much maligned NHS.
And it hasn't cost me a penny.
What's not to like?

My best wishes to all here on this splendid forum, may you enjoy a stress free Merry Christmas.

Back