Kidney Stone Complications

Last Saturday had to dial 999.

Kidney issue developed over a week to point I was delirious.
Rushed to Barnsley A&E, who couldn't cope so had me carted off to Pinderfields hospital,Wakefield under blue lights.
Immediate emergency surgery to relieve a blocked kidney, fitting a stent to drain it.
Was told if I hadn't got there, I would have died within 3-6hrs!

Back home...an old man and struggling!

The previous week I had moderate pain, abdomen, right side, for which I took painkillers.
What I wasn't aware of was a subtle diminishing sense of reality.
Saturday morning I realised I was very confused, not capable of the simplest of things and was devoid of any meaningful sense of time.
So called for help.
It was a good thing I did (68 years old, I live alone, no family).

Apologies if I've repeated details.....I'm still not entirely thinking straight.

This time I missed a bullet, just.

Putting this out there in the hope someone may benefit from my experience and survive, as I hope I have, from what was a frightening episode.

Please take care.

Rushed to Barnsley A&E, who couldn't cope so had me carted off to Pinderfields hospital,Wakefield under blue lights.
Immediate emergency surgery to relieve a blocked kidney, fitting a stent to drain it.

The previous week I had moderate pain, abdomen, right side, for which I took painkillers.
Saturday morning I realised I was very confused, not capable of the simplest of things and was devoid of any meaningful sense of time.
So called for help.

Apologies if I've repeated details.....I'm still not entirely thinking straight.

Putting this out there in the hope someone may benefit from my experience and survive, as I hope I have, from what was a frightening episode.

Please take care.
Yikes. I've had three kidney stones, so I truly know that pain. Had a stint for the second one. The last one is actually in a plastic bag on the desk in front of me, sort of a souvenir. These things are no joke, though. You can lose a kidney. Hope you're feeling better SOON.

Last edited:
Step by step we are all coming into an age, where we have to listen to our body more carefully ......
Wish you all the Best and a fast recovery

BTW: Some years ago I had a similar situation - and in the beginning a wrong indication - I had luck, that it was not dangerous for the life but very painful.....

Thanks for the kind words, guy's.

This recent episode caught me out as, though I was in some pain, it wasn't unbearable, as previously.

Turns out the biggest danger was the stone blocking the main kidney 'drain', so it backed up, turned into a septic infection and was, over a week, slowly poisoning me into a state of delirium, 'Sepsis?'. Any longer and a coma would have ensued.

Next week I have a 'pre-op assessment.....which hopefully will result in removal of what are large stones.

So called for help.

Please take care.
Hallo @pugwash
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Hope you are well and feel better now? Enjoy your special day

How things can rapidly change.
Woke from a brief nap in agony.
Up to now all intervention has been via my ureter.
Always a risk; now I'm down with a 'secondary' infection.
Managed to get an instant prescription for antibiotics.....18 hours later feeling a lot better.
Seems like this rodeo has just begun!

Rodeo it is and you've got a mean one to ride, but you're the rider.
Use your spurs and hang on for eight more seconds.
This may be the closest that you'll ever get to bronc riding, but in some respects, it's not that different. The gate's been opened and you're on pure adrenalin, too late to turn back now. Crazy - maybe, but you know that you have what it takes to get it done. We can cheer you on, but this is your ride. Do us proud, and mount those damned stones on a big silver belt buckle to show that you went the full eight and more.
Still praying for you, Terry

Koch, hi.
I was looking foreward to a couple of trophies, only to be told the laser treatment leaves nothing but a bad memory!

Koch, hi.
I was looking foreward to a couple of trophies, only to be told the laser treatment leaves nothing but a bad memory!
Well, I guess you could substitute a couple of backyard rocks - or maybe an opal or two? :cool:
You should have the right to choose your own belt buckle trophy.
Terry

Back