Du Doch Nicht!! Eduard 1/72 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Complaints so far with the kit:
The decals show up when applied over paint, despite clear coating them several times...sigh! And I applied clear coat prior to application. :(
The struts have tiny pins that are located in tiny holes, and there is not enough surface area for a good bond, thus making installation a royal pain!
The tiny PE (photo etched) parts are very difficult to handle and glue in place. Due to the small size, it is difficult to get the correct amount of glue without excess, and if no excess they will break off easily due once again to a small surface area that is available for bonding.
On the good side, detail is incredible for the scale! ;)

I made an adjustment at the elevator hinge. I painted black where the white stripes are and grey where the black stripes are, to define the separation.
Also, I added the silver PE hinges to the upper wing ailerons.
IMG_2194.jpeg

Then I started on the rigging cables on one side. Very tedious work. I have two more lines for this side, then repeat on the other side! Then there are two cables at the wheel struts.
IMG_2196.jpeg
I will also simulate the turnbuckles. Probably with some PA glue and paint bronze. That should be sufficient at this scale. ;)
Just so you realize how small this airplane is…
IMG_2197.jpeg
Accomplishing detail is a challenge, but doable with patience and determination. Back to rigging..

Looks absolutely great, Dean
Thank you Adi!
It’s no masterpiece, but it’s been a learning experience. There are a few things that could have been better, but at this scale I am afraid it limits you. It’s all because the size of everything is so small. If I didn’t collect aircraft in 1/72 scale, I would have purchased the same kit in 1/48 scale, that would have been very nice!
I am learning 1/72 scale is a compromise. So trying to put too much detail is an exercise in frustration! ROTF

Last edited:
Excellent Dean! Without a scale reference such as your hand the plane appears much bigger than it is. Thats surely a sign of expert detailing, I love it.

And the motor is completed! Next will be preparing the fuselage halves and putting all the sub assemblies in.
IMG_2226.jpeg
As you can see, it’s very small. I would add more detail at the bottom, but unfortunately you will not see any of that once in the fuselage. :(

Sub assemblies completed…
IMG_2232.jpegIMG_2229.jpeg

IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2234.jpeg

Last edited:
Back