Du Doch Nicht!! Eduard 1/72 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Photo recce spits were painted pink to blend in with the colors of sunrise and sunset when they flew their missions.

WWI aircraft were real flimsy thingies, but the technology used was extraordinary, think for instance about the guns firing through the propellor. Having said that, I prefer, for some odd reason, the WWII era aircraft, still flimsy, but technologically more advanced.
Still I'll follow this build with genuine interest; two Fokkers in one build!
Welcome Johan. My favorite is WW2 aircraft as well, but I still like the WW1 aircraft enough to build and display them! ;)

I finished adding all the tiny PE parts for this step. Then I worked on the highlights on the fuselage panels some more. I see a few that still need work, but very close to being done.
Some pics of the mostly finished fuselage…
IMG_2105.jpeg
IMG_2104.jpegIMG_2103.jpegIMG_2102.jpegIMG_2101.jpeg

Next I will be working on the upper wing and struts. Many decals, and small PE parts for the radiator and louvers. I am making good progress for the 4 days I have been working on it. ;)

I finished adding all the tiny PE parts for this step. Then I worked on the highlights on the fuselage panels some more. I see a few that still need work, but very close to being done.
Some pics of the mostly finished fuselage…
View attachment 385465
View attachment 385466View attachment 385467View attachment 385468View attachment 385469

Next I will be working on the upper wing and struts. Many decals, and small PE parts for the radiator and louvers. I am making good progress for the 4 days I have been working on it. ;)
Nice tiny parts, Dean. And good looking decals to.
Regard, Peter

Today I spent all my time working on the upper wing. 3 decals on top and 3 decals on the bottom to add the lozenge design. Then too many blue stripe decals to count. Then the two markings, and painted the radiator. Still more to do with hinges, etc.
What I have so far after clear coat…
IMG_2109.jpegIMG_2110.jpeg

Holding the upper wing in place to see what it will look like…
IMG_2112.jpeg

Hallo Dean, I watch your work with great pleasure. Your coloring and aging of the plywood is very nicely done. Yes the lozenge camouflage is really very special and actually to blur the outlines. The light blue stripes stripes are used to cover the seem and attachment points of individual cloths and look particularly appealing. It's well worth the effort. All around a beautiful model.

Hallo Dean, I watch your work with great pleasure. Your coloring and aging of the plywood is very nicely done. Yes the lozenge camouflage is really very special and actually to blur the outlines. The light blue stripes stripes are used to cover the seem and attachment points of individual cloths and look particularly appealing. It's well worth the effort. All around a beautiful model.
Thank you Adi! I really love the WW1 airplanes you built and the bases you put them on with figures, excellent work!
It takes some practice to get the blue stripes on straight and properly spaced on the ribs. I got better at it the more I did. I learned to slide the decal on to the edge of the wing, and then pull the backing off while laying it across the wing. You don't dare take it off the backing and try to hold it, that ends in disaster. ROTF

A true “labor of love” or is it turning out to be “monk’s work”.
Very precise modelin!
Thank you Johan! It's a labor of love! My favorite WW1 airplanes are the German airplanes. And there are 3 of the best in this kit! ;)
I can't wait to build my Model Airways 1/16 scale Albatros D.Va!

Anyone who wants to see excellence in plastic model building, see this build by Adi! The detail is incredible!

Oh wow, little bitty pieces to loose in the rug. Don't know how you do it!!

Jan
Luckily they give you an extra on some of the smallest pieces, because trying to hold them with tweezers, sometimes they just fly out from the clamping pressure of the tweezers! It’s a delicate balance between applying enough pressure to hold it without dropping and not applying too much pressure to make the part fly out! Fine tip tweezers are a must.
A few were eaten by the carpet monster! ROTF

Sometimes I think this tiny airplane is going to get the best of me! ROTF It’s very unforgiving, any brush strokes or excess glue are magnified due to the scale! :(
Anyway, I realized the sheet metal parts were wrong again…they are supposed to be grey. Which makes sense because the struts are grey.
Before…
IMG_2103.jpeg
After…
IMG_2122.jpeg
I see a few spots that need touch up. Those will be addressed. It’s two steps forward and one backwards! ;)

Next was adding the upper wing and struts, probably one of the most nerve wracking steps of building a bi-plane. I first glued the struts to the fuselage and lower wings. Once dried I turned the upper wing upside down and then put glue on all of the struts, 8 places, and then turned the fuselage upside down and starting aligning and stabbing the struts into the upper wing using tweezers to assist.
Finally that part is done. There was a little excess glue in a few spots, but it’s under the wing, so I guess I can live with that. I hope to do better on the Fokker. They say practice makes perfect! ;)

Pics…
IMG_2129.jpegIMG_2130.jpegIMG_2135.jpegIMG_2140.jpegIMG_2141.jpegIMG_2143.jpeg

And finally a picture with my 1/72 scale Messerschmitt for reference.
IMG_2139.jpeg

Well it’s time to start doing some touch up and then I can add the hinges to the ailerons and elevator. Then the wheels and landing struts are next. Not looking forward to the rigging. They don’t supply any in the kit. So I have a few ideas.

Moving forward, I painted and assembled the wheels and struts. Then I did the exhaust pipe next. That’s when I realized they didn’t provide the radiator pipe that goes from the front of the motor to the bottom of the radiator in the upper wing.
Ref pic…
IMG_2150.jpeg
So I made one out of wire the correct diameter…
IMG_2148.jpeg
That was painted and glued on.
Next was the propeller…
IMG_2167.jpeg
Most pictures I have seen show a wood propeller without laminations. So I went for that look on this one.
And finally I assembled all the main components…
IMG_2174.jpegIMG_2176.jpegIMG_2183.jpegIMG_2177.jpeg
And finally a pic in good company. ;)
For size reference to WW2 aircraft…
IMG_2186.jpeg

Next will be finishing all the fine details like hinges and tension cables. That should be interesting and tedious!
Once finished I will try to take some better pictures.

Back