Zvezda Black Pearl 1/72

There are some very nice Black Pearls in this forum and I'd like to share my rendition of this build. I don't know if this was a Revell to Zvezda or visa-versa, but all in all it was a nice kit that kept me busy. Some modifications were made to the staircase, Captain's cabin doorway, helm, and the decking. The mods were as follows: staircase was widened out as seen in the movie stills; Captain's doorway was re-done to come close to looking like the movie version; the Helm had a modified scratch built floor plate with the steering ropes passed thru them, the ships bell had the 4 legged cover replaced and mounted on a two post arrangement, and the skylight over the Captain's qtrs was scratch built into a peaked skylight. Although the plastic decking had plenty of wood grain to it, it just begged to be replaced with veneer strips of Basswood and stained accordingly. The same strips were used for the railings on the staircases. I had illuminated the interior and 3 globe lanterns using flickering nano-LEDs powered via a 9v battery. Rigging was tedious and time consuming. I would definitely recommend start from the aft and working forward. Scratch made treasure trunks and aftermarket sacks and barrels litter the deck with plunder and supplies. All the painting was done via airbrush using Tamiya acrylics. Decking was weathered using a super thinned wash of Tamiya Flat Black via brush, artist sponge, and Q-tips. I probably would have saved some time by not going uber nuts on detailing inside the lower deck. You can't see any of it. Enjoy the construction photos as I will strive to put them in start to finish order. I will begin with the decking. Thin strips of basswood secured using Gorilla Wood Glue (yes, it worked) as the adhesive.

20211005_145153.jpg

20211007_130151 copy.jpg

20211007_144921.jpg

Next, modifying the Capt's Qtrs door. The kit has this as curved to match the overhead. In the movie still, this is flat, not curved. I cut out the curve and applied basswood planking to the area as well as adding the doorway and window frames.

20211007_142517 copy.jpg

20211007_143257 copy.jpg

Oct1121b.jpg

Oct1121c.jpg

Oct1121d.jpg

Oct1121e.jpg

Helm modifications included raised baseplate under helm wheel, bell tower re-built per movie still, and beveled skylight over Capt's Qtrs. Might be jumping ahead bu the last file is an overhead video of the completed helm mods with also shows the flickering oil lamp effects in Capt's Qtrs.

10:22:21g.jpg

10:22:21e.jpg

10:25:21a.jpg

10:25:21c.jpg

10:25:21b.jpg

Attachments

• 11:08:21:c.mp4
    16 MB
The Revell Clear Contact adhesive really did a good job at simulating old windows. in the 3rd photo, flickering nano LEDs added on lower deck ceiling to simulate oil lamps.

10:22:12l.jpg

10:22:21p.jpg

11:02:21a.jpg

Attachments

• Flicker Lanterns Test 1.mp4
    36.6 MB
  • Flicker Lanterns Test 2.mp4
    21.1 MB
General upper deck assembly and testing of the lighting system. Test Test Test. Never assume everything is working right until you are absolutely sure!

11.06:21b.jpg

11:06:21a.jpg

11:06:21d.jpg

11:07:21b.jpg

11:07:21c.jpg

11:10:21b.jpg

11:10:21d.jpg

Attachments

• 11:08:21:d.mp4
    18.7 MB
  • 11:08:21f.mp4
    18.1 MB
The final result. Added some cloth patches to the sails. I can attest to the fact that this did try my patience at times. The rigging itself require the ultimate in patience and steady hand. Don't try this without magnifying glasses, it just won't work. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks for looking!!

11:30:21b.jpg

11:30:21d.jpg

11:30:21e.jpg

11:30:21f.jpg

11:30:21g.jpg

11:30:21h.jpg

11:30:21j.jpg

11:30:21k.jpg

11:30:21l.jpg

11:30:21m.jpg

11:30:21n.jpg

11:30:21o.jpg

11:30:21p.jpg

Attachments

• Final Clip.mp4
    36.9 MB
Congratulations for finishing this model
and many thanks for sharing with us :cool:

Very detailed, I think I'm going to have to follow your ideas using more wood on plastic kits. It looks more authentic. Great model and the LEDs are an added touch making it stand out . Well done.

Absolutely beautiful... l know the boat was black in the movie, but how did you feel about covering ALL the wood ?
Thanks! I had given it thought about doing the hull with the veneer strips. The more I examined it the more I realized I was about to bite off more than I could chew.

Very detailed, I think I'm going to have to follow your ideas using more wood on plastic kits. It looks more authentic. Great model and the LEDs are an added touch making it stand out . Well done.
Thank you! Just add that bit of dirty weathering to it and it will make your model pop. Lighting models is something I do most of the time. If there is a way to do it, I will. I have a 747 CargoLux Freighter that I illuminated. That one turned out really nice.

There are some very nice Black Pearls in this forum and I'd like to share my rendition of this build. I don't know if this was a Revell to Zvezda or visa-versa, but all in all it was a nice kit that kept me busy. Some modifications were made to the staircase, Captain's cabin doorway, helm, and the decking. The mods were as follows: staircase was widened out as seen in the movie stills; Captain's doorway was re-done to come close to looking like the movie version; the Helm had a modified scratch built floor plate with the steering ropes passed thru them, the ships bell had the 4 legged cover replaced and mounted on a two post arrangement, and the skylight over the Captain's qtrs was scratch built into a peaked skylight. Although the plastic decking had plenty of wood grain to it, it just begged to be replaced with veneer strips of Basswood and stained accordingly. The same strips were used for the railings on the staircases. I had illuminated the interior and 3 globe lanterns using flickering nano-LEDs powered via a 9v battery. Rigging was tedious and time consuming. I would definitely recommend start from the aft and working forward. Scratch made treasure trunks and aftermarket sacks and barrels litter the deck with plunder and supplies. All the painting was done via airbrush using Tamiya acrylics. Decking was weathered using a super thinned wash of Tamiya Flat Black via brush, artist sponge, and Q-tips. I probably would have saved some time by not going uber nuts on detailing inside the lower deck. You can't see any of it. Enjoy the construction photos as I will strive to put them in start to finish order. I will begin with the decking. Thin strips of basswood secured using Gorilla Wood Glue (yes, it worked) as the adhesive.
Hallo @Fuzznoggin
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back