ZHL shipping charges.

I must congratulate Amati for their reasonable freight rate from Italy.
They were for a long time 18 euros to Australia and if you spent more than 300 euros it was free. I see they are now charging 23 euros but that is still reasonable.
In contrast when I bought La Candelaria in May from OcCre in Spain a kit that cost about 120 euros the freight was 60 euros. Quite a difference from 18 euros and neighboring countries.

Let me add to this discussion......This is NOT a reflection on Max (or anyone else.!) !!!

Yes, supply side economics (supply and demand) is a regulating force that impacts pricing world wide. However, this is not the only thing that is causing these “shipping” price increases.!!
Vendors, sellers, manufacturers, retailers... all jump on this situation too. These folks see a situation developing (like COVID, or maybe something else like a particular type of freight aircraft gets grounded for a fleet-wide maintenance issue..). When this happens, they use this opportunity to artificially inflate shipping costs. “Shipping” becomes a separate “profit center”.... Instead of selling a product (such as a model kit..), they also sell the shipping.!!! So we end up paying the vendor for the actual shipping costs PLUS an extra chunk they’ve added on to increase their profits.

So....How much more do they add..??? Sometimes it’s a lot.!! Here is a quick example. I recently ordered some wood from a supplier here in the U.S. thinking I would pay a “normal” shipping charge for USPS priority mail. I received the wood and all was well until I noticed the charge on my Visa. I checked with the Post Office. The actual charges from Maine to me in North Carolina were $11.80. HOWEVER, I paid the vendor $60.00 for wood and $38.00 for shipping. When I screamed at the vendor, his response was typical... “That’s how I do it. You don’t have to buy from me..”

So, you’ve been warned.!!! Don’t be surprised at exorbitant “shipping” charges. These charges frequently have nothing to do with actual shipping costs.
AND as long as you (we.??) continue to order and pay like this, it will only get worse. All we are doing is validating these methods. We are essentially saying “It’s OK. I want it. I don’t care what you charge me.”
I TRY to be careful. I’m becoming more and more cautious. But I’ve been burned too. I admit it. .!!

Let me add to this discussion......This is NOT a reflection on Max (or anyone else.!) !!!

Yes, supply side economics (supply and demand) is a regulating force that impacts pricing world wide. However, this is not the only thing that is causing these “shipping” price increases.!!
Vendors, sellers, manufacturers, retailers... all jump on this situation too. These folks see a situation developing (like COVID, or maybe something else like a particular type of freight aircraft gets grounded for a fleet-wide maintenance issue..). When this happens, they use this opportunity to artificially inflate shipping costs. “Shipping” becomes a separate “profit center”.... Instead of selling a product (such as a model kit..), they also sell the shipping.!!! So we end up paying the vendor for the actual shipping costs PLUS an extra chunk they’ve added on to increase their profits.

So....How much more do they add..??? Sometimes it’s a lot.!! Here is a quick example. I recently ordered some wood from a supplier here in the U.S. thinking I would pay a “normal” shipping charge for USPS priority mail. I received the wood and all was well until I noticed the charge on my Visa. I checked with the Post Office. The actual charges from Maine to me in North Carolina were $11.80. HOWEVER, I paid the vendor $60.00 for wood and $38.00 for shipping. When I screamed at the vendor, his response was typical... “That’s how I do it. You don’t have to buy from me..”

So, you’ve been warned.!!! Don’t be surprised at exorbitant “shipping” charges. These charges frequently have nothing to do with actual shipping costs.
AND as long as you (we.??) continue to order and pay like this, it will only get worse. All we are doing is validating these methods. We are essentially saying “It’s OK. I want it. I don’t care what you charge me.”
I TRY to be careful. I’m becoming more and more cautious. But I’ve been burned too. I admit it. .!!
You can verifie the shipping cost at fedex,ups,dhl,I do not think the vendor can add to the shipping cost

@zoly99sask
The reality is “shipping” is frequently (not always, but frequently...) included in the POS (Point Of Sale..) computer software. Because there is an actual “cost” involved to the retailer, the retailer MUST keep track of it in order to manage their P/L statement and General Ledger. Therefore “shipping” is frequently (once again, not ALWAYS but frequently..) assigned a separate “line item” in the Ledger.
The POS software calculates the selling price for the invoice based on a “markup” percentage applied to each line item as a percentage of “cost of goods sold”. Since “shipping” has a ledger “line item” and a “cost” based on the item (size, weight, destination zip code, shipper (UPS, USPS, FedEx, DHL, etc., etc.))..... the software calculates an invoice charge based on the actual “cost” PLUS whatever the markup percentage is for that item. Each line item USUALLY has its own “markup” percentage based on whatever the seller thinks he can get.
If you look realistically at the margins on some of these models, where the seller will only “turn” a few hundred, (maybe a thousand..??..) items, it’s easy to see why the selling price of some model kits are so high. The manufacturer must make enough on each kit to recover costs, pay operating expenses (fixed and variable), salaries and company profits. Margins are EXTREMELY high. They have to be, because they only sell a few of them (relatively speaking..). It’s easy to see and understand why complex model kits nicely done, can sell for $600–$800–$1000 or MORE.!!
Now look at the actual “cost” figure for that kit.... Maybe $50–$100, maybe...??? So the selling price to you and I can EASILY represent a 400–500 percent markup over the “cost of goods sold”.

Now, imagine what can happen when a 500 percent markup is written into the POS software and it is then applied to EVERY line item in the inventory. YES, even the shipping.!!! This explains why a $35-$40 FedEx charge is invoiced to you at $125. ..... The seller is “buying” the shipping, then “reselling” it to you at “cost + markup”. In simple terms, the seller adds “shipping” as an item in his inventory, then sells it to the customer at whatever markup he wants.
In essence, in addition to being a retailer or seller of merchandise, he is also a “freight forwarder”. He is selling the “shipping” service at a huge markup in addition to his merchandise. The “SHIPPING” line item in his ledger has become a separate “profit center” for him...

And THAT, is how it’s done.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying THIS seller is doing this. I’m NOT talking about any particular seller or company. Just be aware... It DOES happen, and it happens FREQUENTLY. I have been a victim.... and I’m sure you have too. It’s a very USURY and UNFORGIVABLE practice. And I HATE IT.!!!

In the free world the price for almost anything is controlled by supply & demand. Thus it doesn't really matter if a seller makes his profit on the hardware or on the service, The right price (total price) for something is the price the customers are willing to pay - no matter what the production cost might be. A painting sold for 100.000$ or more might have production cost of maybe 20$ for materials and 20 hours of work.
Let's park paintings and other products that are not so relevant here and constrain us to ship models and freight cost from China: For example Tom from CAF model is currently refunding the amount you initially pay for freight down to the actual shipping cost. I don't think ZHL would be able to sell any kits from CAF if ZHL's total price for the same product were significantly higher.

Hey hang on Hobbit99 this IS a reflection on Max its his business they are probably more than likely jumping on the extra profit grab wagon during these times as you have pointed out that frequently happen regarding shipping charge hikes.

Just have a look at Ebay. A typical small item (drill bit, drive belt, etc) can easily be put into an envelope a sent as a letter for say $3. No, they don't do it. Shipping of such a small item from the US into Australia costs usually $30-35. What is this if not profitering? Shipping was much cheaper until a few years ago when someone realised that lots of money can be made on it...
János

Posters should have a look at Ebay shipping prices from the US. Most vendors now use the Ebay shipping pricing tool where a sheet of decals costs $AU53 to ship internationally. Absolutely ridiculous shipping prices across the board. See below.

Gidday all I have been milling over what to build after the Pearl,I spent a couple of days looking through build logs of many ships here narrowing it down to San Feleipe 1/50, I enjoyed in particular Donnie Driscall log of his San Feleipe noting the work around he had to develop and the finished model has inspired my choice awesome build Donnie! So onto the ZHL web site with approval from the Minister of Finance I precede to order the San Feleipe 1/50 $533 AUD got to the checkout and the shipping is $206 AUD this has to be incorrect right? So I sent Max a message via Messenger asking what the availability and shipping cost were that was 2 days ago I recently sent another message to him basically was the shipping price I had seen at the checkout correct and was there anyway this could be reduced that was today 29/08/2020. I goggled shipping price from China to Australia via air freight I found there is 2 ways they calculate the cos 1/ by weight x $. 2/by Dimensional weight x $ dimensional weight is Example: parcel dimensions 88cmx28cmx15cm/6000 representing Air Freight this comes to 6.12kg x $ the approx price couriers like DHL,FedEx,etc charge is around $5USD per kg and they go by what ever is the largest amount so if its method 1/ $5USD x 10kg = $50USD approx $90 AUD or method 2/ $5USD x 6.12kg =$30USD approx $50 AUD can you see why I am bewildered and frankly going to say to the Minister of Finance forget it I'll deal with my lack of something to occupy myself while semi locked down because Covid 19 some other way probably paint the house inside for shits and giggles it just seems not right guys maybe I have mistaken all of this and got all ballsed up it doesn't take much to set me off at the moment, any way maybe someone can show me if I'm wrong and shed some light on it all.
I had to pay that much for Soleil Royal. I think it’s because they are heavy? Black pearl didn’t cost half as much to ship.

Just to weigh in on the conversation, Max has told me he is on holiday atm. I emailed him twice across the last 10 days about some instructions for a kit and finally got a email back from him saying that he is on holiday and will get to my request as soon as he can.

As for shipping prices, I bought the Pearl from him a year ago and shipping for that was $116AUD, about 3 weeks ago I bought the Soleil and it cost $206AUD to ship. I know that the Soleil is a much heavier kit so was happy with that equating to the increased cost of the shipping.
I just did an online quote from DHL to ship the kit based on the dimensions and weight of the box and their online quote came in at over $500AUD (Max sent the Soleil via TNT, that must be the cheaper option atm), so I don't think that Max is trying to rip us off, but that's just my personal opinion.

Shipping as a whole is never a fun prospect. I regularly purchase things from the US and UK and to get them to Australia is always costly. I've got to the point where whilst I will initially look at the shipping cost to make sure it is not over exorbitant for the item, I just combine it with the purchase price and then decide if the item is still worth it to me. A lot of the time the answer is yes because I just cant get the items (usually collectibles) here in Australia.

Last edited:
MAx will not ship EMS due to time & lack of care they use. He will only ship DHL / TNT etc. As DHL only do Express at the moment from China you are looking at $300 - 350 for up to 10KG. ( see their site costs for zone 3). GST is then calculated don top of the total cost including shipping.( DHL do this.)
Its not cheap at present from China via a courier to AUS.

EU pricing is close to $100 Euro ( my cost for Occre kit from Spain( just pre covid) via DHL/TNT
UK is the cheapest via std UK Pot express mail, but it takes a while......
EMS took 20 days just to leave china for my Alert and its now stuck in Auspost delivery delays to Melbourne ( sigh!)
If you want it quick to Australia and not involve our overloaded Postal services you have to PAY mega bucks!
Don't even think about US Postal costs!! to AU.

At the moment, its not the supplier, its the delivery agent & tansport middlemen gouging!

Hey hang on Hobbit99 this IS a reflection on Max its his business they are probably more than likely jumping on the extra profit grab wagon during these times as you have pointed out that frequently happen regarding shipping charge hikes.
Hey Hoffy,
I have been corresponding with Max on some missing items in my kit. It’s been taking him a few days to respond. I heard from him last night.

To cheer you all up,packages I've received from USA and China are taking a week or less lately. Previous 6 months, taking a month or 6 weeks. The price seems to have significantly dropped . ? Miracles ? luck or market forces?

Just to say I ordered Requin from Max in April paid through Paypal it got delivered just a week later than predicted due to Covid, all good delivery cost was £35. No issues extremely happy with purchase, plus Max was very prompt replying to couple questions at time. Wouldn't have any hesitation recommending him with my experience so far

Back