Yuri's USS Bonhomme Richard - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48

Very informative - many thanks for showing us the different ways - great

Thank you so much for the quick reply, the excellent pictures and description!

I turned some bolts on a metal lathe for my rudder pintals on Serapis, but they took forever! Your steps seem much easier (a bag of nails in an hour) make mass production possible! I will be giving this a shot as my build progresses.

Yuri,
I believe the ships carpenter may have cut a supply of wedges/chocks that the sailors hammered into place to stabilize the barrels. See photo below:
two-racks-of-wood-hogshead-barrels-three-high-storing-malbec-wine-c5ymy0(1).jpg

Your idea of the ships ballast being used to chock or secure the barrels may have also worked well!
ballast chocking.jpg
The way you built the barrels, without the internal frame provided by the manufacturer, is amazing!!! Mine have the framework provided, inside each barrel.

20240218_160601.jpg

Barrel size.JPG

Yuri,
I believe the ships carpenter may have cut a supply of wedges/chocks that the sailors hammered into place to stabilize the barrels. See photo below:

Hi Brad,

Wedges will work fine in wine cellar without additional support. I'm thinking sailors would have to strap any cargo including barrels with ropes or net to prevent dislocation during rough sea.

I only made a few barrels without supplied internal framing. I'm thinking to have couple open barrels with the lid beside "freestanding" on the deck above...

Yuri

Hi Brad,

Wedges will work fine in wine cellar without additional support. I'm thinking sailors would have to strap any cargo including barrels with ropes or net to prevent dislocation during rough sea.
1710007727002.png

Yuri, I agree some barrels near the top would need some kind of lashing/ropes. I do think the wedges and ballast would keep the bottom barrels very secure. See comments in above photo.

I only made a few barrels without supplied internal framing. I'm thinking to have couple open barrels with the lid beside "freestanding" on the deck above...
I love this idea of open an open barrel, maybe one with a ladle for water (or rum ration)?

Take also a look at this topic with contemporary drawings of stowage

Back