YQ Bluenose Ted R

Hello Ted, if I remember correctly, I think Dean @Dean62, mixed epoxy with some silver paint and daubed the bolt heads onto his frames with the head of a pin. This gave the effect of the head of a bolt. Dean's been away from the forum for a while, I'll see if I can PM him and find out for sure.
I believe you are correct.

I made a sample using the toothpicks. The left side I stained with Golden Oak. Then applied a coat of Satin Poly. Please pardon photo quality im learning my new tablet. I kind of like where the tree nails slightly protrude when cut off with the side cutters leaving a rounded look. Would that be acceptable?

TedIMG_20240319_101805.jpg

Treenails finished on frames 1-11. Holes drilled on frames 12-20. Frames 21-30 cut out and pre sanded prior to glueing. I kind of like how the treenails stick out above the surface a small amount but don' t know how accurate that is 17109899003756882789523003643565.jpg

Treenails finished on frames 1-11. Holes drilled on frames 12-20. Frames 21-30 cut out and pre sanded prior to glueing. I kind of like how the treenails stick out above the surface a small amount but don' t know how accurate that is View attachment 436403
Essentially it's up to you. If you want to have a more distinct appearance, like you show in your photo, then that's the way to go.
You have to bear in mind though that, once you've completed your model, those treenails, either protruding or flush, will be hardly visible, unless you are really up close.

Here I wet the treenails with saliva on the right side, dry on the left. I'm using bamboo for the treenails. It doesn't look like I'm going to achieve the results similar to yours. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.17110788318295706945643554163212.jpg

Here I wet the treenails with saliva on the right side, dry on the left. I'm using bamboo for the treenails. It doesn't look like I'm going to achieve the results similar to yours. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.View attachment 436607
Like I wrote, once finished, visibility of the treenails is rather low, but it heavily depends on the materials used. Applying a stain versus saliva makes a difference though...
Also, if you take a look at the picture Daniel shared in post #190 above of the Bluenose 2, you'll hardly notice the treenails of the decking, unless you're really upclose. While I applied treenails to all the frames and large parts of the interior, I discontinued applying treenails for both the planking of the hull as for the decking. For any new modeling project I will carefully evaluate whether or not to apply treenails.

Thank you Daniel 20.y total experience at finishing model ship hulls is one. I been very lucky having chamfered and sanded 1/3 of the frames and only broke one.
My eldest daughter, Cassandra, was named employee of the year by Public Storage. Sorry, can't help but brag to everyone..
Ted

I've decided to continue with the treenails on the frames, sincerest 20 frames are already done. Will not be using them on deck planks. Undecided on the hull planking. No response expected, just jabbering .

Thank you Daniel 20.y total experience at finishing model ship hulls is one. I been very lucky having chamfered and sanded 1/3 of the frames and only broke one.
My eldest daughter, Cassandra, was named employee of the year by Public Storage. Sorry, can't help but brag to everyone..
Ted
My congratulations to your daughter. Public Storage is a big corporation.

Back