Yellow Boxwood

I recently received some boxwood strips from a supplier. They were yellow, bright, transparent looking yellow. I'd never seen that so wondered if it made sense.
Thanks all.

edited a few minutes later:
I just ran across another posting and it looks just like the picture of yellow hornbeam, but this is from Model expo and I don't think they list that wood. The one I had ordered was their boxwood.
Richard

look here

Dave,
A very helpful article. I did not realize how confusing boxwood could be. Its hard to see how anyone not very experienced could weave their way through all that.

Bryian,

yellow boxwood.jpeg

Thank you both for your help
Richard

Hi all,
I have received two replies from Model Expo.

The first was from Ed:
"I'm not sure what the story is, but you have ordered boxwood strips in the past and boxwood is usually yellow. I'll forward your message to the warehouse and if they have any further info they will let you know." (a direct quote of his response.)

The second was from Carlos:
"You got 1 x 3 x 500mm Boxwood Strips 12/pack. You paid for it on Jul 12, 2023. " (I know, it's now January 27, 2024, but the dates are accurate.)

Well, the boxwood I ordered in the past from model expo was never bright yellow or any shade of yellow. It was sort of a white / cream color as it was from any other source I used. Apparently, the boxwood sold by Model Expo is now bright yellow.

Good to know when planning to purchase wood for a build.

Thanks,
Richard

I managed to secure a supply of what was labeled "European Boxwood" in Toronto in the 80s. Here's a photo of a few pieces although I find it a bit more yellowish (almost butter colour) in real life. As I work at 1:96 scale, I should be set for life. Absolutely my favourite modelling wood.0.jpeg

in all the years in the wood business i have never seen bright yellow boxwood

but i know other wood were sold as "boxwood" woods like Castello, yellowheart, satinwood, pau marfim Brazilian ivorywood, Degame and actually any hard dense wood that is sort of yellow in color has been passed off as boxwood.

when i zoom in on your photo it looks just like the satinwood i have in my shop. Why i think it is satinwood is the second piece from the botton has the exact same figure that ripple of lighter and darker that gives satinwood the stain appearence

in my shop i have pieces of turkish boxwood, West Indian boxwood, English boxwood North American boxwood and a pile of different woods sold as boxwood.

Hi all,
I have received two replies from Model Expo.

The first was from Ed:
"I'm not sure what the story is, but you have ordered boxwood strips in the past and boxwood is usually yellow. I'll forward your message to the warehouse and if they have any further info they will let you know." (a direct quote of his response.)

The second was from Carlos:
"You got 1 x 3 x 500mm Boxwood Strips 12/pack. You paid for it on Jul 12, 2023. " (I know, it's now January 27, 2024, but the dates are accurate.)

Well, the boxwood I ordered in the past from model expo was never bright yellow or any shade of yellow. It was sort of a white / cream color as it was from any other source I used. Apparently, the boxwood sold by Model Expo is now bright yellow.

Good to know when planning to purchase wood for a build.

Thanks,
Richard
Check out my Kingfisher build report. The whole model is Castello Boxwood... (well, other than the white wood which is American Holly).

Check out my Kingfisher build report. The whole model is Castello Boxwood... (well, other than the white wood which is American Holly).

so i checked it out and i agree that is a pale creamy yellowish color. what i expect to see and not bright yellow.

so i checked it out and i agree that is a pale creamy yellowish color. what i expect to see and not bright yellow.
Yes. That yellow wood might be suitable for a warning sign on a roadway - but imagine an entire model built from it!

In the image below, the left sample is Castello (I have no idea if this is European or other blends) and the right sample is Boxwood (Самшит )
IMG_0263.jpeg

Back