Workshop ideas/layout

I modeled for 4 years in a trailer, while traveling the USA off a 1.5x2ft workbench!!!

This last month, I constructed a "shipyard" in a corner of the basement in our new home. Attached are two photos of the new "shipyard". It seems so extravagant and spacious, after working off a 1.5x2ft workbench that had to be disassembled every week we moved the trailer!!

1st picture, on the left side of the "shipyard", are power tools to prep raw wood and turn round wood items.
1. A micro-lathe
2. An oscillating drum sander
3. 90-degree (adjustable) belt sander
4. PREAC Thickness sander to build timbers to exact thickness
5. PREAC Table Saw to cut repeatable timbers
6. The Shipyard union required a Workout area!! Thank goodness, as I get routine breaks!
Left Shipyard.jpg
Left is the prep area and right is the "assembly area".
1. A lumber yard that holds raw wood and scraps.
2. Glass sheets for assembling frames.
3. A self-healing cutting mat.
4. Above, reference books and magazines from the 1980.
5. A large supply of various grits of sandpaper.
6. A movable task "spotlight" to illuminate detailed assembly, filling or chiseling work.
7. On the farthest right stud, there are various clamps and tweezer.
shipyard Right side.jpg

Last edited:
<-----This is me green with envy. I had an enormous basement I could dedicate to the messier aspects of my hobbies, plus an entire bedroom for the rest of it. Had to give all that up when we moved in the Japanese micro-house we're currently renting.

That's a very nice set-up so this is just food for thought, but if that was my shipyard, I'd rig up some dust collection nozzles to the saw and sanders, which in turn would run to a manifold to which I could connect a shop vac (assuming there's not enough room for a full-sized dust collector/separator). But that's just me... ;)

I modeled for 4 years in a trailer, while traveling the USA off a 1.5x2ft workbench!!!

This last month, I constructed a "shipyard" in a corner of the basement in our new home. Attached are two photos of the new "shipyard". It seems so extravagant and spacious, after working off a 1.5x2ft workbench that had to be disassembled every week we moved the trailer!!

1st picture, on the left side of the "shipyard", are power tools to prep raw wood and turn round wood items.
1. A micro-lathe
6. The Shipyard union required a Workout area!! Thank goodness, as I get routine breaks!
View attachment 420424
6. A movable task "spotlight" to illuminate detailed assembly, filling or chiseling work.
View attachment 420425
So... Where are you going to put the model?

<-----This is me green with envy. I had an enormous basement I could dedicate to the messier aspects of my hobbies, plus an entire bedroom for the rest of it. Had to give all that up when we moved in the Japanese micro-house we're currently renting.

That's a very nice set-up so this is just food for thought, but if that was my shipyard, I'd rig up some dust collection nozzles to the saw and sanders, which in turn would run to a manifold to which I could connect a shop vac (assuming there's not enough room for a full-sized dust collector/separator). But that's just me... ;)
Namabiru,

I've got a 10ft hose, that I will connect to a shop vac, coming in from Amazon today., that will connect to the saw and sanders.

In addition, I ordered a hanging, whole room air filter that should keep the dust from migrating to the rest of the finished basement. See link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-3-S...tration-System-300-350-400-CFM-3410/205465910

I feel your pain, after having my mobile shipyard in our trailer for four years!! I did all of my sanding and sawing outdoors.

Namabiru,

I've got a 10ft hose, that I will connect to a shop vac, coming in from Amazon today., that will connect to the saw and sanders.

In addition, I ordered a hanging, whole room air filter that should keep the dust from migrating to the rest of the finished basement. See link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-3-S...tration-System-300-350-400-CFM-3410/205465910

I feel your pain, after having my mobile shipyard in our trailer for four years!! I did all of my sanding and sawing outdoors.

You will like that WEN dust controller. I have owned it for about 2 months ago and it works great.
It is installed in my hobby shop in a 12' x 15" room.

You will like that WEN dust controller. I have owned it for about 2 months ago and it works great.
It is installed in my hobby shop in a 12' x 15" room.
Thanks for the feedback, it arrives today. I have all the dust producers hooked up to a small shop vac. I'm hoping the WEN dust collector will keep the inevitable airborne dust from invading the rest of the basement and keep the workshop air a little cleaner for breathing!

1. A micro-lathe
View attachment 420424
View attachment 420425
Looks very neat, well thought out!!

I would be interested to see how you downsized when you moved to a Japanese micro-house?!! I have a similar problem and I'm struggling...

NICE !!! you are all set up then ready to go.

I would be interested to see how you downsized when you moved to a Japanese micro-house?!! I have a similar problem and I'm struggling...
Two rented dumpsters, two garage sales, uncounted donations to the neighbors and bunch of stuff just left in the house when we sold it. And we still have to rent a storage unit... :confused:

Two rented dumpsters, two garage sales, uncounted donations to the neighbors and bunch of stuff just left in the house when we sold it. And we still have to rent a storage unit... :confused:
After years you save so much stuff.

Back