Working Steam powered wooden Drifter trawler, Formidable LT100, 1:24th scale

Hello Stephen, using the 'Brass black' as well as other blackening solutions is not that difficult, though. I mean, they all are chemicals that react to the surface only. While different brands may react differently, the success, for the most part, underlying in the absolutely clean surface. That said, the surface must be cleaned from grease and oxidation! I found a bath in vinegar works very well. But, not just a clean surface is the success, all brass is alloy and has diffrent components made of, so they blackened differently. Also, depending on the brand, you may dilute the solution with water. I usually dilute 'Brass black' to a proportion of 1:5 and it works well. However, there is no standard recipe, and the best suggestion is trial and error.
Thanks Jim,
I did buy some blackening stuff from a jewelry supply shop many years ago, maybe I should try it again.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Coal Bunker Lids plus.

I put some paint on the experimental lids to see how they looked and pressed my 1/24th scale person into service to highlight the sizes of things.
DSC_0320.1.JPGDSC_0321.1.JPGDSC_0323.1.JPGDSC_0324.1.JPGDSC_0322.1.JPG

I also made up a disk with a locating pin to enable easy centering of the bunker ring hole around the cap head screw and scribed into the deck.
DSC_0325.1.JPGDSC_0326.1.JPG

Again I welcome opinions on which surface to go with on the Lids.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Chemically Blackening Brass & Bunker Lids.

Thanks to a suggestion and encouragement from Paul aka dockattner and Jim aka jimsky, I have had another try at chemically blackening brass. I had tried this a very long time ago without much success. I dug out a bottle of Krick Blackening agent and after reading some information online I thought maybe I hadn’t cleaned the Brass properly.
IMG_2430.1.JPG

After cleaning a small sample piece as instructed and immersing it into a mixture of at a ratio of 1 part Krick Blackening agent to 1 part distilled water, after reading that other brands of Blackening agent worked within 15 or so minutes, well this certainly didn’t 12 hours later and things were happening 24 hours later and there was a good blackness to the strip of brass.

I then reduced the amount of water I added and added some soft solder to see if that would blacken as well, as expected the soft solder didn’t blacken at all.
IMG_2429.1.JPG

This is a problem for me as I like to solder parts together when needed, this led to a search for something that would blacken a range of metals.

The product I ended up choosing is JAX Pewter Black, after looking for some online I found some at a Jewellers supply shop that is located in Melbourne, so off to the big smoke for a day out with my wife and daughter, this turned out to be a bit on the expensive side, after having Yum Cha for lunch not that I am really complaining as it had been several years since the 3 of us had been for lunch in the city.
IMG_2454.1.JPG

The JAX Pewter Black is a completely different beast, as it does seem to Blacken the Brass within 15 minutes to a deep black, haven’t tried it with soft solder yet, that will be next.
IMG_2453.1.JPG

Back to the Bunker Lids and with the photographic evidence that John aka Neptune has managed to dig up I decided to try a ring pattern on the Lids. On my first try I had the spacing too close winding up looking too busy.
IMG_2444.1.JPGIMG_2445.1.JPG

I found that I could put 6 rings into the Lids without it looking too busy. After I had done a couple of rings I altered the depth as I felt there wasn’t enough depth.
IMG_2447.1.JPGIMG_2450.1.JPGIMG_2451.1.JPG

I would like to add that I am very grateful for all the input that people have made with regard to the Coal Lids and even though I did intend to seek more input I decided to just get on with the job, so that is what I did.

Again I welcome constructive opinions.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Hi Stephen. As per usual, you have done a magnificent job. If these ones are historically more accurate - go with them by all means - I am after all, all for historical accuracy. However, purely from an aesthetic point of view, I prefer your earlier design! :)

Chemically Blackening Brass & Bunker Lids.

Thanks to a suggestion and encouragement from Paul aka dockattner and Jim aka jimsky, I have had another try at chemically blackening brass. I had tried this a very long time ago without much success. I dug out a bottle of Krick Blackening agent and after reading some information online I thought maybe I hadn’t cleaned the Brass properly.
View attachment 323778

After cleaning a small sample piece as instructed and immersing it into a mixture of at a ratio of 1 part Krick Blackening agent to 1 part distilled water, after reading that other brands of Blackening agent worked within 15 or so minutes, well this certainly didn’t 12 hours later and things were happening 24 hours later and there was a good blackness to the strip of brass.

I then reduced the amount of water I added and added some soft solder to see if that would blacken as well, as expected the soft solder didn’t blacken at all.
View attachment 323779

This is a problem for me as I like to solder parts together when needed, this led to a search for something that would blacken a range of metals.

The product I ended up choosing is JAX Pewter Black, after looking for some online I found some at a Jewellers supply shop that is located in Melbourne, so off to the big smoke for a day out with my wife and daughter, this turned out to be a bit on the expensive side, after having Yum Cha for lunch not that I am really complaining as it had been several years since the 3 of us had been for lunch in the city.
View attachment 323781

The JAX Pewter Black is a completely different beast, as it does seem to Blacken the Brass within 15 minutes to a deep black, haven’t tried it with soft solder yet, that will be next.
View attachment 323782

Back to the Bunker Lids and with the photographic evidence that John aka Neptune has managed to dig up I decided to try a ring pattern on the Lids. On my first try I had the spacing too close winding up looking too busy.
View attachment 323783View attachment 323784

I found that I could put 6 rings into the Lids without it looking too busy. After I had done a couple of rings I altered the depth as I felt there wasn’t enough depth.
View attachment 323785View attachment 323786View attachment 323787

I would like to add that I am very grateful for all the input that people have made with regard to the Coal Lids and even though I did intend to seek more input I decided to just get on with the job, so that is what I did.

Again I welcome constructive opinions.

Cheers,
Stephen.

All I can say is Wow, they are just like the ones on the Lydia Eva, great turning Steve, you making me think about revisiting my Lids, these look completely authentic, just love the pic with the feet in it,
IMG_2450.1.JPG
Best regards John,

IMG_2451.1.JPG

I don't know anything about historical accuracy here - but I do know I am jealous of you guys with skills.
Thanks Paul, but what are you talking about, :D you have certainly shown that you have a lot of skill as well with your magnificent Vasa.
I think there are a lot of people on this site that have been given a gift in their ability to use their hands, just as your quote from the Bible says.
I ran out of time before work to respond, hence the delay.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Back