Will it work?

I have a dowel that is 2 inches longer than my lathe can handle. To me this is the best way to shape a mast. I want to cut the dowel so it will fit on the lathe and then reattach the cut off piece using glue and a smaller dowel. The cut part will be below deck and never seen.
Does this sound feasible?

John

By the way are you aware of how to make a mast without lathe from a square stock? This is almost how real mast were made.

I had to turn a mast for one of my RC sailboats. I took the tailstock off the lathe and mounted a bracket to the wall. I drilled a small hole in the bracket in the right spot and stuck the free end of the mast through the hole. Presto, an extendable tail stock. For this kind of work it doesn't have to be that accurate. You may need to cobble up a steady rest if it's too long.

I have a Proxxon wood lathe for this purpose. It allows you to put a rod in the lathe that is longer than the bed. I used to do it by hand, but found myself getting fed up so I turned to a machine. It seems to work fine for me except for really small diameter dowels. Have to be more gentle in that case.
This was my solution.

I have a Proxxon wood lathe for this purpose. It allows you to put a rod in the lathe that is longer than the bed. I used to do it by hand, but found myself getting fed up so I turned to a machine. It seems to work fine for me except for really small diameter dowels. Have to be more gentle in that case.
This was my solution.
I agree. Sometimes a regular drill is better. The hole in the Proxxon DB250 is only 10 mm, but it is not a problem, even with a clamp holder it works well. The center of the mast is often bruised or crushed, so I wrap the clamping area gently with paper tape and it's ok.

I wouldn't do it that way. As soon as you cut the dowel you lose strength at that cut. You can glue it back together but then cath it with your arm or something and snaparooo and it busted at the glue joint. I put masking tape wrapped around one end of the dowel and chuck it into an electric drill. Then rotate the mast at low RPM's on sandpaper until it's the way you want it. No reduced strength in the mast like that. Cutting the dowel would be my very last desperate option.

Back