where do old ships go to die.

What do you do when you have to move some of the older, just worn out, dust covered, deteriorating. Just not worth it. My first try at hand made sails.... I keep them hidden because not to good quality. Now I make museum quality, some posted here. It just breaks my heart to put them in the till. Oh, well. onwards, upwards.

What do you do when you have to move some of the older, just worn out, dust covered, deteriorating. Just not worth it. My first try at hand made sails.... I keep them hidden because not to good quality. Now I make museum quality, some posted here. It just breaks my heart to put them in the till. Oh, well. onwards, upwards.
Please don't toss them. If you feel that you have to... toss them in my direction :) There are a lot of us pollywogs that are facing that learning curve, and your trash can be a treasure to someone else.

I think Koch wants your best junk.... ROTF
before%20(4).jpg

I occasionally put older models in the shipyard for repair and refit. I find it a fun challenge to fix, clean and fabricate parts.
After all, sailors of the day made repairs while at sea.

I regularly attend estate sales. It is sad to see how many lovingly crafted models- of all genres- trains, planes, boats, figures- of all skill levels-end up as neglected debris. Ships need cases or destruction is sure. I don't know the answer. Tastes change, and heirs may or may not care (now). I'm at the age where I know I need to "de-accession," but I still like all my "stuff." I often think of the big Revell plastic ships I built fifty years ago or more that didn't survive the many moves and changes in family life.

I have one of my very first wood ship models in a case…I made a lot of mistakes building it…especially the rigging. Wrong color and size threads for example. Today some of the rigging is loose and sagging. One of these days I want to take it out of the case and redo the rigging. So yeah…we understand…

I played with broken second hand or garage sale ship models as a child. I'm now a professional Maritime Archaeologist. Just tossing it out there that there is always a curious child out there that would be perfectly happy with any model, and wouldn't be the wiser about any perceived imperfections. That piece of junk might open doors and spark an interest.

Hallo @debauchery
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back