What to do with left over toothpicks from Treenailing

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

So, I got this pile of toothpicks which of course has the sharp ends cut off. I have been thinking of a way to quickly take these and put a point back on them. But I have yet to come to an idea. I have taken one at a time and using fingers to rotate up against a disk sander, but they all come out different tips and sizes. Does anyone have an idea that would produce repeatable results? And also would not take days to do.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Donnie

DD7640D1-1551-48F8-A96D-35A7CBE19193.jpeg

The only think I can think of would to fabricate a type of pencil sharpener tool to mount in the lathe. Then press the toothpick into the spinning sharpener. I guess I have to make one.

Hello Donnie, you can reuse those toothpicks by sharpening them again from both ends. I know you are a computer guy and have some very old HDDs without any data. A single plate, even with an IDE interface will do. Open the cover, glue the piece of every stick, and turn it ON. You will have a mini disk sander. below is the video from @dantist sovereign build log

Have fun grinding

Did you try one of those small, manual pencil sharpeners kids use? But I agree with Frankl514…toss these aside to use elsewhere as is and buy a new batch on Amazon if you need the pointy ones. Another idea is to pull them through a draw plate for more treenails…. :)

Last edited:
Hello Donnie, you can reuse those toothpicks by sharpening them again from both ends. I know you are a computer guy and have some very old HDDs without any data. A single plate, even with an IDE interface will do. Open the cover, glue the piece of every stick, and turn it ON. You will have a mini disk sander. below is the video from @dantist sovereign build log

Have fun grinding
No need for a CCIE certificate :)

If you want to save them place them in a drill, lightly tighten the chuck and sand with a small sanding stick. One end at a time!!!

Twould be nice if you could turn them down into something you could pull through a draw plate. In fact, just getting stock for a draw plate is turning out to be kinda hard.

Use a pencil sharpener that's designed for sharpening drafting pencil leads. Or spend the $5 for 1500 new ones!

Build a small log cabin or make a seawall diorama from the left overs.

You can make small support rafts for the natives to use when coming to visit the big boats off shore.

But not res-harpen them for more treenails.

Back