What is the Correct way to create ribs on a scratch build.

Hi,
I would like to attempt a scratch build from plans, but would like to build the correct way, from the beginning. I have been studying the ribs, (an example image is attached),

1. im assuming each part/section of the rib (V,G,L1,L2,L3,L4) is cut with grain running the length of each part.

2. are parts G,L2 L2,L4 V,L1 L1,L3 joined with either a Double Scarph or a Hook and Butt Scarph joint (marked yellow), or is the only joint the ones highlighted in red

I have watched a number of videos, and have not seen anyone cut joints generally just gluing parts together, whilst this works is it the correct way to approach this, I appreciate creating joints takes longer, im not worried about time ( hopefully Ive still got a few years left) I would however like to do it correctly.

I appreciate any feedback, thoughts on this.rib.jpg

there were so many different framing systems over the years of wooden ship building. Type of ship, where it was built and who built it are factors to consider. There is no one single correct way.

what i see in the drawing the parts in yellow are a butt joint the red circled areas are a joint on the faces of the frames.

Last edited:
May I ask, which ship is it you are working on?
Interesting attempt with a lot of more work, but accurately done it will be extremely interesting to see.

Do you know the building log of Nigel alias @NMBROOK of his Saint-Philippe - I guess you find here some interesting information for you

May I ask, which ship is it you are working on?
Interesting attempt with a lot of more work, but accurately done it will be extremely interesting to see.

Do you know the building log of Nigel alias @NMBROOK of his Saint-Philippe - I guess you find here some interesting information for you

Hi Uwek,
I haven't started yet still in the planning stages, but the model is The Saint Philippe using the 1:72 Jean-Claude Lemineur monograph from A.N.C.R.E, before starting I wanted to ensure i used the correct method for creating the ribs, My assumption was the rib parts would be jointed to add strength but im unsure hence my question, I was unsure if the individual rib parts should be jointed with scarf joints or the only joint was on the face of the ribs.
I have been following Nigels build log with great interest.

there were so many different framing systems over the years of wooden ship building. Type of ship, where it was built and who built it are factors to consider. There is no one single correct way.

what i see in the drawing the parts in yellow are a butt joint the red circled areas are a joint on the faces of the frames.
Thanks Dave,
I was unsure if the rib pieces would have been originally jointed, as its going to be my first full scratch build I would like to do it right, which was my reason for asking.

Hi Gkip

You will struggle to find anything Online regarding building these frames, they are unique to this vessel.There are only two online builds of this ship in POF and one of those is mine.The other builder who also has a build on this forum chose not to represent the mortice and tenon joins between the frame parts.

If you do chose to go this route,I estimate it at least trebbles the amount of work making the 60 plus frames.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back