What is the biggest and most difficult model ship to build?

thanks all! still just newbie and wondering how detailed these models can get.. i looked quite a few... impressive works you all have made!

Hello, it is my first intervention in this forum, greetings to all. I helped a friend to build a scracht model of the Spanish corvette "Discovered". It was made on top of a methacrylate sheet, which was held in front of a burning fireplace for almost three-quarters of an hour and then molded on top of plaster with sand cushions on top. The sails were molded from inflated balloons and stiffened with starch. Under the rescue boat, the cage for the chickens He was exhausted and the rig left him "hinted" I don't think I'll ever finish it It was exhibited in Rochefort. Here it is....

Attachments

• corbeta descubierta 1.jpg
    corbeta descubierta 1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5515.jpg
    IMG_5515.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 19
  • VELAS 7.jpg
    VELAS 7.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 18
  • corbeta descubierta 3.jpg
    corbeta descubierta 3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 20
  • corbeta descubierta 2.jpg
    corbeta descubierta 2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 21
  • mar1.jpg
    mar1.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 16
  • de popa.jpg
    de popa.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 20
Hello again This is the hardest boat I have ever done. It is based on the blueprints in the Billing Boats kit, but most of the parts were made by me. It is the Canadian ship Saint Roch, which at the hand of Commander Larssen, made the Northwest passage in both directions The main difficulty was getting information about the actual ship on display at the Vancouver museum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Roch_(ship)

Attachments

• St Roch 13JPG.JPG
    St Roch 13JPG.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 25
  • SSL24199.JPG
    SSL24199.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 26
  • SSL24354.JPG
    SSL24354.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 29
  • SSL24381.JPG
    SSL24381.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 31
  • SSL24502.JPG
    SSL24502.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 28
  • St Roch 2.JPG
    St Roch 2.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 28
  • St Roch 6JPG.JPG
    St Roch 6JPG.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 26
  • St Roch 8JPG.JPG
    St Roch 8JPG.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 29
  • St Roch 9JPG.JPG
    St Roch 9JPG.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 29
  • St Roch 10JPG.JPG
    St Roch 10JPG.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 28
I have to agree with all, except try building a 1:200 scale [ which is hard enough because of the size] but with no prints what so ever, fun, but a real challenge I am finding out I'm building my own parts, from scrap wood, like [ captain's wheel ], capstan, even cannon's. but I have also learned a LOT, of "HOW TO BUILD WOOD BUILD'S". I have learned much just from this blog.

Hello, it is my first intervention in this forum, greetings to all. I helped a friend to build a scracht model of the Spanish corvette "Discovered". It was made on top of a methacrylate sheet, which was held in front of a burning fireplace for almost three-quarters of an hour and then molded on top of plaster with sand cushions on top. The sails were molded from inflated balloons and stiffened with starch. Under the rescue boat, the cage for the chickens He was exhausted and the rig left him "hinted" I don't think I'll ever finish it It was exhibited in Rochefort. Here it is....
Hello again This is the hardest boat I have ever done. It is based on the blueprints in the Billing Boats kit, but most of the parts were made by me. It is the Canadian ship Saint Roch, which at the hand of Commander Larssen, made the Northwest passage in both directions The main difficulty was getting information about the actual ship on display at the Vancouver museum.
Beautiful models
BTW: a warm welcome here on board of our forum

The "Biggest" sailship model I know is the 1:1 static model of the Admiral Tegethoff, a friend of mine Willi Meischl (also a member here in SOS @schifferlbauer ) build and rigged for a TV-production in the Arctic

TegG9.jpg

wpaa98abe6_06.jpg

wpad42f724_06.jpg

(and following pages)

The model was build in Austria, dismantled and transported to Arctic and assembled once more at Franz Josef Land to produce the film

Hello
Of course that's one of the biggest models you can see ...
Scale 1: 1 is a "real" ship.
Polar expedition ships are fascinating to me

The "Biggest" sailship model I know is the 1:1 static model of the Admiral Tegethoff, a friend of mine Willi Meischl (also a member here in SOS @schifferlbauer ) build and rigged for a TV-production in the Arctic

View attachment 232569

View attachment 232570

View attachment 232571

(and following pages)

The model was build in Austria, dismantled and transported to Arctic and assembled once more at Franz Josef Land to produce the film
Uwe, do you know what happened to the replica?
I think I once read something about a planned permanent exhibition in Klagenfurt, but never heard anything about it again.

Uwe, do you know what happened to the replica?
I think I once read something about a planned permanent exhibition in Klagenfurt, but never heard anything about it again.
It was not really a replica, due to the fact, that it was a pure static model without a complete hull.
WE have to wait for Willis response - He @schifferlbauer knows it very well, what happend to the "model" - I remember only, that the ship was over one winter there in the arctic, and afterwards ...... mayb it is still there ......

amazing!

OMG that is so cool! how long did it take you to make it? another great thing about this hobby, is that I'm learning about historic ships like this one! thanks!

View attachment 232569

View attachment 232570

View attachment 232571

(and following pages)

ok! this one wins! LOL thanks for sharing!

The most difficult model doesn't necessarily have to be the biggest. The big in the scale or size? Honestly, I don't know how to answer. Every one of us has different skills\experience, what might be for one a very simple model, for another is difficult to build. As for the scale, generally, a bigger scale is easier to build,

I am presently working on Caldercraft's HMS Victory. I noticed something on plan sheet 1 that many others have no doubt seen. I bring it up for anyone who might be confused. It's the numerical discrepancy between the lower side view and the two upper right hand side views regarding the decks. Part number 441 in the side view is p/n 445 in the top view; p/n 442 in the side view is p/n 446 in the top view; and p/n 443 in the side view is p/n 447 in the top view. The numbers in the two top views are correct, as they corrospond to the list in the parts manual (booklet 3 of 3). I hope this helps.
I have some questions regarding this build; I'm going to go over the plans and specs regarding my questions for the third time. I will then write them out to clarify my own questioning thoughts, then I'll return and lay them before the forum. This forum is a good thing; there is mutual encouragement and education-->"As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend" {Prov 27:17}.

That diorama setting is amazing, the sea works very well. It is correct to have sailor figures in a presentation like this.

Regarding Caldercraft's HMS Victory, part number 39 (4 of them), the Dummy Barrel Strips, it is suggested that in order for the strips to pass through the rectangular openings on bulkheads 2-17, they should either be made wet for a short time, or, heated with a heat gun. This is supposed to make it easier to follow the curved pattern of the bulkhead openings. If I decide to soak them in water for a short time, won't this cause the wood strips to swell? Concerning the "heat gun", will a powerful hair drying work? Also, how does getting the wood hot make it curve easier? If the wood is hot, how do you feed it through all of those openings without touching the wood? Any and all feedback is welcome.
Andy from Kenosha

View attachment 232569

View attachment 232570

View attachment 232571

(and following pages)

I know of another one that is slightly bigger:

Back