What do you guys think of Corel's La Mirage?

I have the Heller Le Phenix still sitting in my closet. I bought it 4 years ago, & upon opening, found it didn't have any sails. Since I always hang sails on my ships because I love installing rigging, I was very disappointed, but decided to keep it. Hey, gotta have one ship "bare naked" on display! I'm looking forward to building it, & after much research, found that it did exist, but didn't do much of anything in it's very short life. Still, it will look nice on the shelf, & Darius' pic of it looks great! I would like to ask him if he built this one? Whoever built it did a super job! Rick1011
I found the picture laying around the internet. It's scratch built.

Last edited:
Le Phenix also looks like a pregnant pilot whale...

03210.jpg
Very much like my Le Superbe!

Corel's La Couronne was similar in that the interior was not designed to be viewable or accessible. I had to scratch build the galleries to make them so. They were originally to be made from solid blocks of hexagonal shapes and conical pieces of basswood, and the windows were made from pressed wood pulp, which look okay if painted but are too small and delicate to cut out the areas where the glass would be to replace it with clear plastic or mica. Corel drawings are nice and lend themselves well as guides in scratch building replacement sections of the ship because they had orthographic and isometric views as you can see below.
View attachment 369732
I think Paul Kattner would like the orthographic views. Oh no. That would be orthodontic!

Hi all, done some digging.........

Le Phenix 1664 was drawn up by Colbert but never actually built. Plans for this vessel are available from Association de Amis de Musee Marine in France.

I have just ordered a set, will update when they cross the channel.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
Hi all, done some digging.........

Le Phenix 1664 was drawn up by Colbert but never actually built. Plans for this vessel are available from Association de Amis de Musee Marine in France.

I have just ordered a set, will update when they cross the channel.

Kind Regards

Nigel
That's a strange set of circumstances. Plans but no ship.

Well the Phenix planset from France arrived today. This is not a monograph in the usual sense but the 1/75 drawings are sufficient to allow one to scratch build a nice POB model.
Without shadow of doubt, this must have been what Corel based Mirage on.There is a booklet containing the historical references, but everything is in French so I have some translating to do.

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_1094.jpgIMG_1095.jpgIMG_1096.jpgIMG_1097.jpgIMG_1098.jpgIMG_1099.jpg

Oops.. Le Mirage! Pardon my French. Many of Corel's model choices have attracted by attention for years. I was thinking on building Corel's Le Mirage as a future build, but the hull shape has an unsightly bulge at midships, with flat areas for and aft of that. Not that this cannot be corrected, but the question is, where can information on the proper hull shape be found? I cannot find any internet information on Le Mirage. Did this ship actually exist?

View attachment 369501
Hi Kurt. Perhaps a little late but I think the builder of the model did not pay enough attention to the alignment. The hull can be made into a nice shape. I build the model +/- 40 years ago.
Here's a picture through the window of the display case:
IMG_8151.jpeg
The planks are drying out a bit, but you can give her a nice rounded shape.

And perhaps this site is interesting for you:
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Kurt. Perhaps a little late but I think the builder of the model did not pay enough attention to the alignment. The hull can be made into a nice shape. I build the model +/- 40 years ago.
View attachment 371861

Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter! It's never too late to look at beautiful model ships. Please post more pictures of your venerable model. It looks GREAT.

Last edited:
Thanks Peter! It's never too late to look at beautiful model ships. Please post more pictures of your venerable model. It looks GREAT.
You also thanks, Kurt. The glass on the inside of the display case needs to be cleaned. Soon I will take her out of the display for cleaning. I'll take some pictures then. I have my photo table now anyway.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 371861

Regards, Peter
merci beaucoup. Je vais lire ceci.

Back