What do you guys think of Corel's La Mirage?

Oops.. Le Mirage! Pardon my French. Many of Corel's model choices have attracted by attention for years. I was thinking on building Corel's Le Mirage as a future build, but the hull shape has an unsightly bulge at midships, with flat areas for and aft of that. Not that this cannot be corrected, but the question is, where can information on the proper hull shape be found? I cannot find any internet information on Le Mirage. Did this ship actually exist?

1681671952363.png

1681672110027.png

The Russian builder Oleg Shaban who did this Corel Le Mirage did a masterful job and this is how the kit looks as-built, using natural wood for the color. I like Corel kits for their wood quality. The ships are a but small at 1:100 scale, but they offer 17th century ship models found nowhere else. Instructions consist of plans, with very little basic text instruction, assuming that you are already skilled at wood ship modelling. To use the rigging tables, you need to able to read Italian.
1681672956038.png

Last edited:
R.71520bf03519eef6a02073cb6daa087a

Hi Kurt

I think Corel were having a quiet chuckle to themselves when the named this model. Mirage, something you see but does not actually exist. This vessel is the work of fiction and an amalgamation of various period sketches of French vessels of the time period.

However, it does build into an attractive model and I have nearly pulled the trigger on this one myself in the past a few times to see what I can do with it.

The skeleton would need extensive shimming in the first and third quarters of the length and sanding of the "crease" in the middle.To go any further would need extensive research on French frame lofting of the period but given that this is probably meant to be a vessel of the First Marine where standardisation was not existent, there will be an element of best guess here.Trust me this is a huge rabbit hole with French ships of this period.

The model,IMHO, is also lacking any deck sheer, adding some and having the stern balcony follow this would vastly improve the look of the model.

Taking all these points on board and knowing how you like to build, this project is right up you street;)

If you do want some reading matter that will point you in the right direction, "The Sun King's Vessels" by Jean Claude Lemineur is a good, but not cheap starting point.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks, guys! (except for Paul who threw me a mental mystery puzzle I've been trying to figure out for the past 10 hours... nice one, Paul. My only guess is that the pilot whale bodies resemble the model's hull shape) The info you provided is great. I was hoping it was real, so there would be some historical references to draw upon. If the model was close enough in appearance that it could be modified into a known vessel, I might have taken on that project. I still have San Felipe waiting to be completed also.

Oops.. Le Mirage! Pardon my French. Many of Corel's model choices have attracted by attention for years. I was thinking on building Corel's Le Mirage as a future build, but the hull shape has an unsightly bulge at midships, with flat areas for and aft of that. Not that this cannot be corrected, but the question is, where can information on the proper hull shape be found? I cannot find any internet information on Le Mirage. Did this ship actually exist?

View attachment 369501

View attachment 369502

The Russian builder Oleg Shaban who did this Corel Le Mirage did a masterful job and this is how the kit looks as-built, using natural wood for the color. I like Corel kits for their wood quality. The ships are a but small at 1:100 scale, but they offer 17th century ship models found nowhere else. Instructions consist of plans, with very little basic text instruction, assuming that you are already skilled at wood ship modelling. To use the rigging tables, you need to able to read Italian.
View attachment 369518
va bene. grazie.
lol

I didn't have too many difficulties navigating through the diagrams and instructions. My kit had english instructions and drawings. In fact, I found myself using the drawings more than the instructions. I do not recommend this kit to new builders.

I loved the kit except for the poor quality of the metal fittings and their gold paint peeling off. The paint issue is an easy enough fix. Also, the rigging thread could use improvement because it is fuzzy but I used it anyways. I didn't find any major issues with the kit, but I am not a scratch builder either.

One thing they could have added was details of the interior of the officers quarters; especially the galleries. Everything is closed and there is no access to look inside.

If the model was close enough in appearance that it could be modified into a known vessel
Hi Kurt
There is such vessel. Le Phenix(1664-1669). There're striking similarities when you look at the bow. The hard part comes with gun displacement and stern.
Fore some reasons Corel didn't make 1:1 copy based on Association des Amis du Musée de la Marine plans. I don't know why- there would be conflict for copy rights with Heller, as they did Le Phenix exactly as it schould be. For me all those metal parts from Corel look very poor, so why not scratch build them in proper shape
Here's such Phenix, almost all decorations are simplified and scratch-build, but it look far better what comes from Corel

Link to plans

Here's completed Heller model with photos of plans in first post.
I can PM you them in higher quality, if you want

Last edited:
Hi Kurt
There is such vessel. Le Phenix(1664-1669). There're striking similarities when you look at the bow. The hard part comes with gun displacement and stern.
Fore some reasons Corel didn't make 1:1 copy based on Association des Amis du Musée de la Marine plans. I don't know why- there would be conflict for copy rights with Heller, as they did Le Phenix exactly as it schould be. For me all those metal parts from Corel look very poor, so why not scratch build them in proper shape
Here's such Phenix, almost all decorations are simplified and scratch-build, but it look far better what comes from Corel

Link to plans

hi, why do you think it looks more like Le Phénix as opposed to Le Soleil Royal?

How are they comperable?

84guns vs 104
2Balconys vs 3
Are side profiles even close?

@Hubac’s Historian is an expert he would for sure elaborate the subject much more (of course, if he wishie so :) ) But baising only on photos it doesn't look comparable
10.17.13 01 (Post).JPG
0028.jpg
10.17.13 03 (Post).JPG
0027.jpg

You can say Saint Philippe is close/ish to Soleil Royal
IMG_02651.JPG

All photos are from SOS forum builds and threads, but I have them catologized be ship name. Sorry for not linking directly to authors

I am not an expert and I am not claiming that the Mirage is the Soleil Royal, but I still do see similarities between the two ships. But then again, what the heck do I know...

Last edited:
Neither am I, but in my opinion there's much more of Le Phenix then SR. Don't take it personally I didn't mean to offend you. There's a huge space between finding photos of alredy made model and making one, which I bearly starting to fill out.
Cheers Jack

Last edited:
Neither am I, but in my opinion there's much more of Le Phenix then SR. Don't take it personally I didn't mean to offend you. There's a huge space between finding photos of alredy made model and making one, which I bearly starting to fill out.
Cheers Jack
no no i didn't. You are entitled to your opinion and I appreciate the information. That's why I asked. Thanks again for this. I am just a guy that likes to build boats.

Hi Kurt

Link to plans

Thank you, WokitasS. Does research on real historic vessels really cost so much more when a model company is already investing a lot in producing a kit?

I didn't have too many difficulties navigating through the diagrams and instructions. My kit had english instructions and drawings. In fact, I found myself using the drawings more than the instructions. I do not recommend this kit to new builders.

I loved the kit except for the poor quality of the metal fittings and their gold paint peeling off. The paint issue is an easy enough fix. Also, the rigging thread could use improvement because it is fuzzy but I used it anyways. I didn't find any major issues with the kit, but I am not a scratch builder either.

One thing they could have added was details of the interior of the officers quarters; especially the galleries. Everything is closed and there is no access to look inside.
Corel's La Couronne was similar in that the interior was not designed to be viewable or accessible. I had to scratch build the galleries to make them so. They were originally to be made from solid blocks of hexagonal shapes and conical pieces of basswood, and the windows were made from pressed wood pulp, which look okay if painted but are too small and delicate to cut out the areas where the glass would be to replace it with clear plastic or mica. Corel drawings are nice and lend themselves well as guides in scratch building replacement sections of the ship because they had orthographic and isometric views as you can see below.
1681802995033.png

I have the Heller Le Phenix still sitting in my closet. I bought it 4 years ago, & upon opening, found it didn't have any sails. Since I always hang sails on my ships because I love installing rigging, I was very disappointed, but decided to keep it. Hey, gotta have one ship "bare naked" on display! I'm looking forward to building it, & after much research, found that it did exist, but didn't do much of anything in it's very short life. Still, it will look nice on the shelf, & Darius' pic of it looks great! I would like to ask him if he built this one? Whoever built it did a super job! Rick1011

I have the Heller Le Phenix still sitting in my closet. I bought it 4 years ago, & upon opening, found it didn't have any sails. Since I always hang sails on my ships because I love installing rigging, I was very disappointed, but decided to keep it. Hey, gotta have one ship "bare naked" on display! I'm looking forward to building it, & after much research, found that it did exist, but didn't do much of anything in it's very short life. Still, it will look nice on the shelf, & Darius' pic of it looks great! I would like to ask him if he built this one? Whoever built it did a super job! Rick1011
Any sails you make by hand will fit better and be better quality than store-bought sails.

Back