What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying from such as ebay?

Occasionally you come across kits that are being sold cheaper than what you typically find at model suppliers. I found the La Couronne kit by Corel for $384.00, and the kit was complete. eBay has far less of a selection than model vendors, but worth checking out. Buy an unbuilt or partially built model can save you lots of money, depending on the auction or course. If you buy from eBay and the kit is not as described, you can send it back and your money will be returned under warrantee. That isn't true for private sales on Craig's List and may not be with some vendors. Typically, model parts are at the same price or slightly more than other vendors, but if you check eBay routinely, you can come across a part from a kit that is not usually sold separately, such as the Mantua made brass figurehead for La Couronne. Also, I needed a bunch of gun barrels that were more slender than average to simulate culverins and found a Chinese vendor on eBay that sells a variety of barrels at a range of sizes. The ones in the length I sought were more slender than those offered by Amati, Caldercraft, Corel, and Mantua. Sometimes you find something you are looking for if you monitor eBay. There are many suppliers out there with different fittings and kits. Some of my favorite vendors include:

HiS Models
Cornwall Model Boats
Crafty Sailor
The Lumberyard for Model Shipwrights
EuroModels
Model Expo
Modelers Central

I assume you already have a list of vendors to look for kits and parts, but I hope this helps.

Occasionally you come across kits that are being sold cheaper than what you typically find at model suppliers. I found the La Couronne kit by Corel for $384.00, and the kit was complete. eBay has far less of a selection than model vendors, but worth checking out. Buy an unbuilt or partially built model can save you lots of money, depending on the auction or course. If you buy from eBay and the kit is not as described, you can send it back and your money will be returned under warrantee. That isn't true for private sales on Craig's List and may not be with some vendors. Typically, model parts are at the same price or slightly more than other vendors, but if you check eBay routinely, you can come across a part from a kit that is not usually sold separately, such as the Mantua made brass figurehead for La Couronne. Also, I needed a bunch of gun barrels that were more slender than average to simulate culverins and found a Chinese vendor on eBay that sells a variety of barrels at a range of sizes. The ones in the length I sought were more slender than those offered by Amati, Caldercraft, Corel, and Mantua. Sometimes you find something you are looking for if you monitor eBay. There are many suppliers out there with different fittings and kits. Some of my favorite vendors include:

HiS Models
Cornwall Model Boats
Crafty Sailor
The Lumberyard for Model Shipwrights
EuroModels
Model Expo
Modelers Central

I assume you already have a list of vendors to look for kits and parts, but I hope this helps.
THANX for the supplier list. As a geezer(age 71) I sometimes forget. I have and do use Model Expo and Lumberyard and Modeler's central. Now in this age of 'OUT OF STOCK' I am expanding my search. I was interested, for example, in Model Space Victory Bow section.

Back