Weathered,Distressed,Worn?

Being a lifelong plastic model maker almost everything I made from space craft to submarines had some form of visible use, weathering, battle damage,repair work etc. What I have noticed here,Is that most photos appear to depict the ship in “as new” condition. I was just wondering if any of you ever “age” your builds?. Or is that frowned upon ?
I know this may sound like a silly question, but I know of no other place to get expert answers.
Thank for your time and helpful reply.

Jay K

This is just a matter of builder’s preference. Some like doing this, some don’t. I myself don’t do it as I don’t like it. I had seen very few models where aging was done successfully to my opinion. If it is done well, why not?

Being a young plastic builder of different models the only models I weathered were model army tanks and half-tracks. I would collect moss for camouflage and burn holes in the models for a battle survival look. As for ships, I would consider weathering naval carriers and battleships. As for ships of sail, I prefer new as built. Weathering of sails seems to be the most thing some builders want to achieve but would you personally build an expensive wood model that just went through a battle or was on her last journey? It all depends on the builder because there is no way I am going to paint the waterline and below to keel. I love the look of wood.

Only my opinion

Back