Waxed Line

O que você acha da linha encerada para nossos modelos? Qual a melhor cola para colar as pontas?
Nunca usei e tenho muitas dúvidas se vão servir para montar nossos barcos de madeira.
Alguma ajuda?

What do you think of the waxed line for our models? What is the best glue to glue the ends?
I have never used it and I have many doubts if they will be used to assemble our wooden boats.
Some help?

Hi Viriato and a warm welcome for entering the board of our SoS community
Waxing the threads
(mostly bee wax)
Pro: minimizes the pilling of the surface -prevents the humidity absorbance of the lines in long term-gives a certain stifness and form stability
Contra : the spinning structure of the threads are mostly covered by waxing. This can be partly eliminated by applying heat by squezed pulling the waxed threads thru a cloth piece or hot air stream
For fixing the line ends you can use a very small droplet of CA based glue . But the glued ends of the lines gets darker.
The other possibility is using PVA based limes, it needs more time for drying than the CA ,but causes no color change at the ends.
Kind regards and enjoy your modeling

Hi Viriato and a warm welcome for entering the board of our SoS community
Waxing the threads
(mostly bee wax)
Pro: minimizes the pilling of the surface -prevents the humidity absorbance of the lines in long term-gives a certain stifness and form stability
Contra : the spinning structure of the threads are mostly covered by waxing. This can be partly eliminated by applying heat by squezed pulling the waxed threads thru a cloth piece or hot air stream
For fixing the line ends you can use a very small droplet of CA based glue . But the glued ends of the lines gets darker.
The other possibility is using PVA based limes, it needs more time for drying than the CA ,but causes no color change at the ends.
Kind regards and enjoy your modeling
Hello, Korsan.
Thanks for the answer. Your advice is very welcome and will help me a lot.

Another opinion…I do not use waxed rigging line. The real issue is to select a quality rigging line that is not frizzed to begin with. Thus high quality threads, and threads made by on line sources are preferred. I have not had any problem with humidity affecting the rigging of my early models when rigged with high quality rigging threads. I use very small drops of CA gel exclusively on rigging threads to both seal ends and glue knots. I have not had problems with discoloration except for very light colored threads…then I try to use very small drops of CA gel to minimize the discoloration from the glue. And yes, in some cases a drop of PVA glue can be used. I do not use cotton thread as it tends to frizz. I use polyester, nylon, and blends of these for my off the shelf rigging threads. Otherwise buy rigging threads from on line ship fittings sources. If a thread you choose is already frizzy do not use it…choose something else. Occasionally you will get a decent rigging thread in the kit itself that can be used.

Another opinion…I do not use waxed rigging line. The real issue is to select a quality rigging line that is not frizzed to begin with. Thus high quality threads, and threads made by on line sources are preferred. I have not had any problem with humidity affecting the rigging of my early models when rigged with high quality rigging threads. I use very small drops of CA gel exclusively on rigging threads to both seal ends and glue knots. I have not had problems with discoloration except for very light colored threads…then I try to use very small drops of CA gel to minimize the discoloration from the glue. And yes, in some cases a drop of PVA glue can be used. I do not use cotton thread as it tends to frizz. I use polyester, nylon, and blends of these for my off the shelf rigging threads. Otherwise buy rigging threads from on line ship fittings sources. If a thread you choose is already frizzy do not use it…choose something else. Occasionally you will get a decent rigging thread in the kit itself that can be used.
These are also my experiences if you do not want to use plastic material.

Another opinion…I do not use waxed rigging line. The real issue is to select a quality rigging line that is not frizzed to begin with. Thus high quality threads, and threads made by on line sources are preferred. I have not had any problem with humidity affecting the rigging of my early models when rigged with high quality rigging threads. I use very small drops of CA gel exclusively on rigging threads to both seal ends and glue knots. I have not had problems with discoloration except for very light colored threads…then I try to use very small drops of CA gel to minimize the discoloration from the glue. And yes, in some cases a drop of PVA glue can be used. I do not use cotton thread as it tends to frizz. I use polyester, nylon, and blends of these for my off the shelf rigging threads. Otherwise buy rigging threads from on line ship fittings sources. If a thread you choose is already frizzy do not use it…choose something else. Occasionally you will get a decent rigging thread in the kit itself that can be
Hello, Korsan.
Hello, Korsan.

O que você acha da linha encerada para nossos modelos? Qual a melhor cola para colar as pontas?
Nunca usei e tenho muitas dúvidas se vão servir para montar nossos barcos de madeira.
Alguma ajuda?

What do you think of the waxed line for our models? What is the best glue to glue the ends?
I have never used it and I have many doubts if they will be used to assemble our wooden boats.
Some help?

Hi Viriato ,in this link you can take a look at well spinned yarnswith good spinning structure. .They produce PES and CO based yarns and also yarns treated with teer.The surfaces are also free from fizz (probably long cotton fibre used and may be also flame treated ).If you choose PES yarn while using you have to glue (CA) the cutting point before you cut the yarn , otherwise the spinned yarns blow out so you have more material loss compared to cotton yarns (see attachment). I used the yarns of this company for standing and running rigging by the models of Corel's Flying Fish and Dolphyn.For my next models I will prefer CO based yarns mostly. Another tip; using Polyester PES yarn is better than 100% Polyamid PA (nylon),because PES is less elastic and less heat insensitive . Blended yarns OK. Wish you a nice sunday Pirate Flag

IMG_4883 (2).jpg

Hi Viriato ,in this link you can take a look at well spinned yarnswith good spinning structure.

Modellbau Takelgarn – In eigener Seilerei geschlagen

www.modellbau-takelgarn.com
www.modellbau-takelgarn.com

.They produce PES and CO based yarns and also yarns treated with teer.The surfaces are also free from fizz (probably long cotton fibre used and may be also flame treated ).If you choose PES yarn while using you have to glue (CA) the cutting point before you cut the yarn , otherwise the spinned yarns blow out so you have more material loss compared to cotton yarns (see attachment). I used the yarns of this company for standing and running rigging by the models of Corel's Flying Fish and Dolphyn.For my next models I will prefer CO based yarns mostly. Another tip; using Polyester PES yarn is better than 100% Polyamid PA (nylon),because PES is less elastic and less heat insensitive . Blended yarns OK. Wish you a nice sunday Pirate
img_4883-2-jpg.381303

Olá Viriato, estou 100% de acordo com a opinião do Daniel. Segui este procedimento em todos os meus modelos, com sucesso. Boa sorte !
Hello Viriato, I'm 100% in agreement with Daniel's opinion. I followed this procedure on all my models, with success. Good luck !

Thanks for all the opinions and advice. They will be very useful when deciding which material is most suitable for my models.

Back