VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Thank you Maarten! The red painted lining will be recessed by 1,5mm.

Dear Friends

I trust that you are still exercising care out there and looking after yourself - and that does not only apply to COVID-19 - but also to your health and general well-being.

I want to start this update by going back to my previous post and a good old dose of self-criticism. When I also posted my log on the Dutch site, one of the members commented on my gunwales on the port side and that the top gunwale does not follow the correct curvature. Looking at the photo, this is as clear as daylight.

Gunwales.png

You can clearly see that the top gunwale runs in too straight a line while both wales end up "cramping" each other right at the bow. The only thing I could think of was that the wales must have moved when the clamps were applied without me noticing. Now to the ordinary person this would be fine but to us modellers it's a different story and this stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

So if something is not right, it is not right
:(
and it has to be done over. :(The problem was that the Chinese PVA glue that I use (even though it is not water-resistant) just refused to come loose with water, acetone or heat or all 3 combined.
:mad:
So, there was only one solution. Sand down the two gunwales until they were flush with the rest of the planking and do it over again. As you can imagine, that was a mess at best and at times I really doubted my decision. But I just kept my head down and sanded away.

When regluing the wales and the planks directly above them up to the deck level, I called in the Admiral to help me check the curvature and got more help than I asked for. ;)

WeChat Image_20200507164015.jpg

At times I glued two planks at the same time to make sure that the alignment is correct this time.

WeChat Image_20200507164035.jpg

And then left everything to dry overnight.

WeChat Image_20200507164029.jpg

You will notice that I "nailed" the gunwales to the hull which was done on purpose as they will be "treenailed" or have simulated "nails" put in them later on.

WeChat Image_20200508034630.jpg

And this morning.
:)
:) Now I am finally happy with the port side and can start on the starboard side. Luckily the gunwales on that side are perfect so it should go a bit quicker. As you can see I have already opened the gunports (I just have to do redo the one closest to the stern, because of the gunwale that was replaced). They still have to be finished off, but for now I am happy with them. This just shows: Do not be afraid to "redo". If you are not happy with something, you will never be happy. I kept remembering @Ondras71 who said: "Construction time is not important - the quality of the model is." Now my mind is at ease and I can move to the next section with a clear mind and happy thoughts!

The other news is that I will start teaching at the centre again from Sunday, so progress will slow down. I am not complaining though, because I have been out of action now for almost 4 months.

Thank you all for watching and for following. As usual, your comments and thoughts are sincerely appreciated.

Kind regards - Heinrich

Hi Heinrich,

The situation in my part of the world is still developing. We are not a densely populated state, so the number of cases are not that high although they are slowly increasing.

Back to your build, you must be glad that you’re planking “error” was noticed at this stage. The “Do-Over” looks great.

Jan

@Pathfinder65 Thank you, Jan. We are very fortunate now that everything seems to have been "normalized", but it has taken almost 4 months. I am a little worried about the rumours in the USA of reopening certain states too early. As you say the numbers are still increasing which is a world-wide phenomenon. And believe me, with COVID-19 you do not want to do a "do-over".

@Uwek Thank you Uwe - I am happy now that the wales are perfect.

HI HEINRICH, i know all about do overs, boy do i know about them, JUS T CHECK MY LE ROCHEFPRT BUILD some were done twice, but to all the NAY SAYERS THROUG HELP FROM GILLES, MAARTEN and OTHERS GETTING THER IF THE BUILD STOPS NOW HAVE ACOMPLISHES 90% of my goal, so onbwards and probally more do overs AS TO THE VIRUS WE ARE IN A QUANDRY DOCTORS AND SCIENTIST VS POLITICANS, belongs to the DOCTORS KNOW HEALTHY ECONOMY WITH OUT GOOD HEALYH SAID BY A REPUBLICAN SENATOR, as to my situation there is not much INFORMATION OR DIRECTIONS FOR US IT SEEMS LIKE WE ARE DISPESIBLE , i am talking about the seniors really the ones starting at 70 PLUS with certain health conditins LUCKJLY I HAVE A MARVOLOUS DAUGHTER-IN-LAW WHO GAVE ME THIS ADVICE AS I WAS COMPLAINIG ABOUT NEEDING A HAIRCUT, WHAT SHE SAID IS PUT YOUR HAIR IN A PONY TAIL, ORDER PLENTY OF SHIP MODEL AND PLENTY OF TOOLS BUT STAY THE HELL INSIDE PERIOD WHATEVER IT TAKES NO MATTER IF IT IS YEARS WITVCH IT WILL PRBALLY BE, AS I AM 82 YEARS OLD WITH HEALTH PROBLEMS AND MY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW IS ON THE FRONT LINES SHE IS A NURSE IN NEW ORLEANS, so that is my story sorry for this post. GOD BLESS PLEASE STAY SAFE Don

@donfarr Hi Don. Please don't apologize for anything. I'm very glad to hear how things are going. I agree 100% with your daughter-in-law: "Stay inside - do not move!" As I said, it took almost 4 months in China for things to "normalize" and that is with a government who exercising very strict control. So ... if you grow a ponytail in the meantime ... just post pictures. My mother in South Africa (she is 85) is in an old-age home and they also exercise strict control there. But I hear you about all the health problems ... she also has trouble getting medicine in the first place and secondly, the correct medicine. All I can say is keep yourself busy with the ships and frames (you have two nice kits coming to look forward to) and take each day at a time. And as you know ... there is no substitute in believing.

Keep well my friend.

Dear Friends

Another week ... another update. Being back at work obviously means much less time on the Haarlem, but given the circumstances, I'm happy to be back at work and with what I achieved this week.

The week started nicely with a package from Kolderstok delivered to my door. As you will remember, I stupidly destroyed my keel and had to order a new one along with 6 x extra cannons.

Build 259.jpg
To my surprise, Hans did not just send me a new keel, but a new rudder, galleon, galleon beak and a host of other parts as well! (I don't know if this is a serious lack of confidence in my ability, or if he was just very nice :D !) Let's go for the nice.

WeChat Image_20200508034623.jpg
The extra six cannons with carriages, blocks and hooks represent one of the two main differences between the Haarlem and the Batavia.

Build 261.jpg

And then it was back to planking the hull section above the wales on the starboard side and taking both planking levels up to deck level. As you can see from the picture above, the replacement keel has been fitted.

Whilst waiting for the glue to dry inbetween planks, I started with the wall of the forecastle.

Build 262.jpg

The door frames glued and in place.

Build 263.jpg
Doors test-fitted in their frames.

Build 264.jpg
The wall was planked with overlapping 4mm walnut planks.

Build 265.jpg
As you can imagine this was quite a precise little exercise.

20200402_131946.jpg
The doors were sprayed with extremely thin layers of paint (3 in total) so as to maintain the laser-cut lines and grain of the wood.

20200402_145935.jpg
The wall was then sprayed black (as per the Batavia). Obviously, I still have to fit hinges and ring-handles to the doors and the whole assembly was put away for later fitment.

And so, it was back to the planking.

WeChat Image_20200515152531.jpg
Starboard side completed up to deck level. Absolutely no sanding has taken place yet.

WeChat Image_20200515152542.jpg
Port side completed to deck level. Now that I look at the picture, I see that I have still have to open the sternmost gunport fully!

WeChat Image_20200515152537.jpg
Another shot of the starboard side.

Build 271.jpg
Test-fitting an (as yet) untrimmed and much too long bowsprit.

Build 272.jpg
I am very happy with the progress thus far so I can start with the lower planking next week.

That is all for now. Thank you so much for following and for reading - it is much appreciated.

Kind regards - Heinrich

@Kkonrath Thank you for the kind words, Kurt - it is much appreciated. I am very happy with how the planking looks. I am taking it very slowly, though! I can transfer the ship to the Kolderstok-supplied stand if it comes away from the building board.

@Pathfinder65 Thank you for the positive comments Jan! Next up is the planking towards the keel and will see me have to deal with "lost planks", "stealers" and the like!

@BigMike Hi Mike. You have hit the nail on the head. Because it is such a fine kit and builds into such a great model, I don't have any excuses. I am trying my best to do justice to it.

@Brewbrarian Thank you for the compliments, Eric! The only advice I can give you is to take your time, not to hurry anything and enjoy the process. So often people just seem to want to rush through the planking, forgetting it is as much part of the build as anything else.

Back