VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Gents I am honoured. I have never had a colour name after me! :D However, I think it is far more practical if you were able to purchase the Gem Green from Botny. I will try to see if it is available outside of China. If not, you at least have the code ...

About colours of 17th century Dutch ships: these where not a fixed item. The schipper (captain) of a ship got a certain amount of money to paint his ship in some colour, and he could decide for himself what colour to choose. The bulwarks of these ships where often painted in a typical blue or in a verdigris (with pigments based on copper). The green could therefore be somewhat lighter or somewhat darker.

And to match the exact colour in which the Batavia was painted turned out to be a rather difficult thing - as you can see in the mixture Heinrich mentioned.

As with many things when developing a kit - you are dependent on things which are available in the free market. The Vallejo green was a the colour which came most close to a copper green.

Then some other news on colours: last months it has been quite difficult to achieve all the paint we needed to make the paint sets for the Kolderstok kits (Vallejo is a Spain-based company, and due to corona was not always able to deliver all their colours).
We therefore have decided to develop our own range of colours - based on 17th century pigments. This range contains 18 colours in different tones of white, red, yellow, blue and green, and give the model a very distinctive "old" colour.

We expect to have these sets available beginning of september. Just have a look at Kolderstok.com every now and then :)

About colours of 17th century Dutch ships: these where not a fixed item. The schipper (captain) of a ship got a certain amount of money to paint his ship in some colour, and he could decide for himself what colour to choose. The bulwarks of these ships where often painted in a typical blue or in a verdigris (with pigments based on copper). The green could therefore be somewhat lighter or somewhat darker.

And to match the exact colour in which the Batavia was painted turned out to be a rather difficult thing - as you can see in the mixture Heinrich mentioned.

As with many things when developing a kit - you are dependent on things which are available in the free market. The Vallejo green was a the colour which came most close to a copper green.

Then some other news on colours: last months it has been quite difficult to achieve all the paint we needed to make the paint sets for the Kolderstok kits (Vallejo is a Spain-based company, and due to corona was not always able to deliver all their colours).
We therefore have decided to develop our own range of colours - based on 17th century pigments. This range contains 18 colours in different tones of white, red, yellow, blue and green, and give the model a very distinctive "old" colour.

We expect to have these sets available beginning of september. Just have a look at Kolderstok.com every now and then :)
Hans, that is great news. What type of paint is it? Water based or enamel.
I currently work often with ink (Talens Ecoline) or with Schminke Aero color which is a pigmented ink to color the wood.
That works very good sofar as the wood grain remains visible.

@Kolderstok Hans, is it?
I think there are a few of us in here to visit kolderstok.com regularly...if not daily... :rolleyes: Looks like you're making some worthy and excellently made kits. Thank you for giving your attention to these important ships. Many of us are grateful for that.
Cheers!

Last edited:
@Ronmedge Hi Rene. Thank you very much for the info on that book. It sure looks most interesting and I will certainly get hold of it. You will see that there are some differences between the Haarlem I am building and the Batavia. A head-scratcher that I still have to work out is that the Haarlem had more cannons - hence you will see that the Haarlem has cannons in the stern as opposed to the Batavia replica. There are still a further 6 fully rigged cannons that need to be installed somewhere. :confused: However, the similarities are far greater than the differences.

@Brewbrarian Eric that is what is great about Kolderstok. Hans is not only an authority on Dutch ships but takes an active interest in each and every ship that his customers build. His support and back-up are simply outstanding!

@Kolderstok Hans, maybe you can post the pictures on the new pigmented colours on my build log (the same one published on the Dutch forum.) I am sure our friends here will find the information most useful.

Hans, that is great news. What type of paint is it? Water based or enamel.
I currently work often with ink (Talens Ecoline) or with Schminke Aero color which is a pigmented ink to color the wood.
That works very good sofar as the wood grain remains visible.
The paint is waterbased, and rather high in pigments. It gives a very matt finish - just like you have on chalk paints.
We recommend to dilute it somewhat and for a very good result apply two or more (diluted) layers.
Above that we are also working on some washes to give the paintwork the real (used) look. And every colour has the possibility to make highlights with matching tones of colour (on ornaments f.i.) to give it the perfect look.

@Kolderstok Hans, is it?
I think there are a few of us in here to visit kolderstok.com regularly...if not daily... :rolleyes: Looks like you're making some worthy and excellently made kits. Thank you for giving your attention to these important ships. Many of us are grateful for that.
Cheers!
Eric,

Yes - it is Hans :)
And thank you for the compliment. We do our best to make nice models of the Dutch ships.
I often get questions from the US from people whose ancestors came from the Netherlands and who would like to have a model of the ship they came on to the US.
This is something we are considering for the near future - like Heinrich who is converting the Batavia to a similar but different ship.

@Brewbrarian Eric that is what is great about Kolderstok. Hans is not only an authority on Dutch ships but takes an active interest in each and every ship that his customers build. His support and back-up are simply outstanding!

@Kolderstok Hans, maybe you can post the pictures on the new pigmented colours on my build log (the same one published on the Dutch forum.) I am sure our friends here will find the information most useful.
Sure I can. I expect to have the official photos somewhere next week. But here is already an impression of what to expect:Nieuwe kleuren.jpg
After receiving the first samples of colour we did a quick test run on some pieces of walnut, including a matt varnish and a semi gloss varnish.
The colours have had slight modifications since and are now being produced.

Hi hans,

That's a good niche in the market, a nice assortment of 17th and 18th century colors for shipmodelling.
Most probably if you mix them with a high amount of varnish you also use them as a wash?

Dear Moderators - now I am confused. SOS has always indicated No of Views as 8K, 9K etc, Today I see an actual number which is great, but it differs significantly from the previous number ???

Hello Friends

Now I need the help and suggestions of you all. Even though the Batavia was originally a 32-(some say 30) gun ship, the kit comes with 22 cannons and two closed gunports - thus a total of 24 cannons. The Haarlem though was equipped with 32 cannons (even with 40 during the Battle of Goa).

Battle_at_Goa.jpg

Battle of Goa during which a stern view of the Haarlem can be seen at the extreme left of the picture in the foreground.

I have installed two stern cannons and have ordered an extra cannons with gun carriages from Hans with the intention of rigging and displaying these so that they can be seen. So far suggestions as to where they can go have varied between the forecastle, the main deck and the half deck as the most obvious place. All good ... but here is my dilemma summed up in one word: RIGGING!

verduidelijking.jpg

This picture is from the excellent build of Dutch model builder, Danny Mulders, which show the position clearly.

At the forecastle (the area indicated by the white block) the rigging will be completely in the way as it would on the half deck (indicated by the purple block). To me the only possibility seems to be the main deck are as indicated by the grey block but that would means tons of very tricky and difficult work seeing that the bulwarks have already been braced from the inside. The half deck would be easier (even though I would have to make overlapping gunport lids which will be a nightmare), but what about the rigging?

Or do I just install the cannons and worry about the rigging later?

Your valued suggestions are most appreciated.

Kind regards - Heinrich

Back