Vertical Frame Thickness?

Hi, I have built 3 plank on bulkhead models, 2 from scratch, and now I want to embark on a full frame Admiralty style model of HMS Tyger. I am using the beautiful book by Richard Endsor, "The Master Shipwright's Secrets" and I understand how to derive all the dimensions i need except the vertical thickness for each frame and the taper from the keel (X) to the top (Y), as indicated on the attached diagram with an example Futtock Frame. Can anyone advise me: is there a source/rule or do I just judge it by eye? Thanks

Frame question.jpg

You should have sections drawings in your book as one below. Scale up dimensions you look for using indicated scale (1/192 in my example) and a ruler marked in millimetres.

729C2954-E7C2-420A-BF38-1E178C22B886.jpeg

Thanks, should I assume the same ratio for every frame? It seems to me it varies depending on the frame number, especially towards the ends.

your X measurement is just the foot of a half frame you need a full frame to get the measurements

Last edited:
i assume you are looking for the tapper from the keel up to the top timber

fr.jpg
fr0.jpg

there are established dimensions which will give you the shape starting at the floor the black arrow is the molded dimension and we will call it 11 inches
the blue arrow is the sided dimension or the thickness of the timber lets call that 9 inches

fr1.jpg

moving up the frame the next dimension will be the floor heads the blue arrow on the left and it is 7 inches

fr2.jpg

second futtock at the head 6 inches

fr3.jpg

top timber dimsnsion 5 inches

fr4.jpg

and final at the head 4 x 4

fr7.jpg

Last edited:
once you know the numbers you measure out from the frame shape and connect the dots. The inside shape is in the skill of the draftsman

Capture f.JPG

and now you are wondering where these numbers come from,
they are in the books and records of shipwrights and it looks like this the numbers at the top 100 to 20 is the size of the ship

numbers.JPG

but your topic says "thickness" or sided dimension what i just showed is the "molded" dimension

the thickness depends a lot on what ship it is and when and where it was built
here are examples of the thickness you can see each futtock gets thinner this is strickly an older British style of framing. It was not used in North America or for that matter no other country built this way.

tapered frames1.jpg

tiered framing.jpg

these are other style of British admiralty framing first is using double bends and filler pieces which were wedged between the inner and outer hull planking and fell out when the planking was removed

frameshape sf.jpgframeshape1C.jpg

you will see this style of admiraly framing in models and it looks like this

img184_edited-1.jpgimg190.jpgA51.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Dave, the moulded dimension was exactly what I was looking for, and a very comprehensive answer. Much obliged.

Last edited:
Hi, I have built 3 plank on bulkhead models, 2 from scratch, and now I want to embark on a full frame Admiralty style model of HMS Tyger. I am using the beautiful book by Richard Endsor, "The Master Shipwright's Secrets" and I understand how to derive all the dimensions i need except the vertical thickness for each frame and the taper from the keel (X) to the top (Y), as indicated on the attached diagram with an example Futtock Frame. Can anyone advise me: is there a source/rule or do I just judge it by eye? Thanks
Hallo @StuWicks
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

How is your project with the HMS Tyger going?
I hope you enjoy the work on a POF scratch model? Maybe you show us your status.....

Hallo @StuWicks
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back