Veritas palm planes

The quality of veritas planes are good - no question.
Main question will be, if you need for shaping the planks the complete set of four different shapes?

The quality of veritas planes are good - no question.
Main question will be, if you need for shaping the planks the complete set of four different shapes?
No, they can be purchased individually. Veritas are excellent products and I have several of their tools, chisels and planes. I just don’t know if these would be suitable to ship modeling.

I seen a modelbuilder using this for shaping the hull after planking. That was good looking. But I seen the same result with a scraper of a few dollar. But for the personal feeling of greed to have as much tools possible in your toolchest. I would buy them, for sure. I know this feeling. :p

Veritas makes quality tools. Typically very specific tools for specific jobs. The models you show I would not think would be beneficial for molders as they take both hands to operate and look pretty big.

I have a set of Veritas planes from Lee Valley. You can search "Veritas Miniature Tools" on the site and see their offerings. I use 3.

I also have both Veritas line scribes which I use ALL the time and so very helpful scoring a line along a straight or curved edge at a consistent distance. I also have their chisel sharpening jig tool, which I love. You will never be unhappy with Veritas' quality, just do your home work to see what the tool was specifically made for or you may buy a high quality tool which you can't use for the job you want to do. Don't guess.

Veritas makes quality tools. Typically very specific tools for specific jobs. The models you show I would not think would be beneficial for molders as they take both hands to operate and look pretty big.

I have a set of Veritas planes from Lee Valley. You can search "Veritas Miniature Tools" on the site and see their offerings. I use 3.

I also have both Veritas line scribes which I use ALL the time and so very helpful scoring a line along a straight or curved edge at a consistent distance. I also have their chisel sharpening jig tool, which I love. You will never be unhappy with Veritas' quality, just do your home work to see what the tool was specifically made for or you may buy a high quality tool which you can't use for the job you want to do. Don't guess.
Thanks Ken.
I completely agree with you about Veritas quality. I too have several of their mini tools (and some of their full size as well) including the planes and the chisels which I use a lot. I’m also a fan of “buy once, cry once” and buy the best quality I can afford.
But as @Steef66 said above I’ve also bought tools just cuz I could and then discovered they really didn’t work the way I thought they should. Hence my query to the group.

hola a tod@s. Para adelgazar los forros del casco y hacer tracas en cuña son muy útiles y precisos

Just saw these posted in another group. Has anyone used these and if so are they worth the prices?
Link: Veritas Palm Plane
View attachment 398954
probably a little too unwieldy for model ship use. but you never know until you actually get a chance to use them. maybe look at violin planes. there are a lot of different sizes in violin planes available. I personally use the Veritas mini planes for several applications. they're very handy.Screenshot_20231207-091625_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back