New kit Vanguard HMS Sphinx 1775 1/64 scale

Wow! Check out this prototype of Chris Watton’s latest offering, planked with pear, pear fittings etc, looks beautiful but I think maybe a bit pricy - trying to decide if it’s in my budget.... beautiful model though- and this doesn’t even have all the photo etch goodies and armament, little bit of paint accents and masting/rigging...I sure hope other manufacturers get on the wagon and start “upping their game”.

1615668585650.png
1615668723354.png
1615668829397.png1615668060753.png1615668295115.png1615668431116.png1615668585650.png1615668723354.png1615668829397.png
Sorry for multiple images, don’t know why?....

Don’t think the price has been set yet as it is still a prototype but it’s his largest offering to date (605mm hull length 780mm overall) and is really unique- it is framed kinda like his 1/64 Victory that he designed for Amati. It doesn’t use conventions bulkheads and false keel, it is all built up framing and the gunports are framed into the framework... and it has premium woods. If I had to guess I would say in the $650 range? He is doing the prototype build

Plus the new tax in Austria :(:(
Had to pay 5 € tax for a replacement for a broken lantern which already has been taxed. o_O

950 USD is expensive and that excluding shipping. That is approaching Royal Caroline territory, with the RC being 1:30 scale!.

The price is ok,the scale is not ,bring it it out in 1:48 for the same price !!
Well, in all fairness it is about the same price and size as the new CAF Granado, (larger class ship though) and fair enough it’s not a POF but it does turn out a very detailed and exquisite model, using premium woods, and the masting and rigging is included… it also uses some very unique construction methodology that will allow the average modeler to produce the same results that you see depicted- in some ways it assembles much like a plastic model - with a huge set of instructions that are legible and correct, 23 - that’s right, 23 pages of plans !! You can check out the instruction manual to see the many innovative and effective construction processes - the level of detail in the instructions are on the practicum level! I really think that Vanguard models wants everyone to be successful at producing an excellent model! I was mostly trying to point out that the Chinese are not the only mfg. that are producing excellent ship models, and I hope this could be a trend for other manufacturers.

Last edited:
thats why i now stick with cutters, luggers, and small frigates. i have built some 1/64 scale from model shipways , occres Terror, and a few at smaller scales but do find the detail lacking. you are right, of course, with the large ships such as victory, soleil royale, vasa, ect. A 50" plus ship would be hard to fit in most homes.

There are so many valid comments here. @Stargazer You are right Lou. Of course the Chinese are not the only manufacturers who provide great kits. I am a big fan of Kolderstok's models while my next project will also be of European origin. What I like about the Vanguard model is the subject that is being modelled - as it is relatively rare. The Granado is not - in addition to CAF, Trident Models has also indicated their intentions to bring out a model of the Granado,

Don’t think the price has been set yet as it is still a prototype but it’s his largest offering to date (605mm hull length 780mm overall) and is really unique- it is framed kinda like his 1/64 Victory that he designed for Amati. It doesn’t use conventions bulkheads and false keel, it is all built up framing and the gunports are framed into the framework... and it has premium woods. If I had to guess I would say in the $650 range? He is doing the prototype build

i looked at the instructions and to me it is a bulkhead kit not as you say "it is all built up framing"

v1g.JPG

but what i did review it looks like a well designed kit with an eye on quality. I do agree it is a little over priced, for that amount you can get a fully framed model kit.

it is not mentioned in the intro if it is a fully licensed by the National Maritime Museum seeing it is using their plans.

other than that for a plank on bulkhead kit not bad for the scale and being a bulkhead kit a better price range would be around $550.00 to $625.00 US
as a fully frames model at 1:48 scale the $950.00 might be considered reasonable

v3g.JPG

Dave, it does have bulkheads but it is more of a hybrid, the gunports and framing from the gun deck up is interlocking laser cut framework which is kind of unique and adds to the repeatable results obtained…. There seems to be a lot of modular assemblies for the hull completion. Yeah, you can get POF models for that price but you better have the skills to complete them cause there ain’t no in depth instructions and the plans are meager at best…. Just look at the POB build logs on here with excellent modelers bemoaning the lack of something or another in most of the Chinese kits…..But that’s what SOS is for right? Lots of guys willing to help you out, but I Just think this is a better opportunity to get a super nice result for POB average joes

Dave, it does have bulkheads but it is more of a hybrid, the gunports and framing from the gun deck up is interlocking laser cut framework which is kind of unique and adds to the repeatable results obtained…. There seems to be a lot of modular assemblies for the hull completion. Yeah, you can get POF models for that price but you better have the skills to complete them cause there ain’t no in depth instructions and the plans are meager at best…. Just look at the POB build logs on here with excellent modelers bemoaning the lack of something or another in most of the Chinese kits…..But that’s what SOS is for right? Lots of guys willing to help you out, but I Just think this is a better opportunity to get a super nice result for POB average joes

i agree

Back