USS New York 74 gun ship of the line [COMPLETED BUILD]

Above the afore mentioned 8' sloop of war St. Lawrence. She may have been built, literally, to teach Midshipmen the ropes. She only has " Quaker" guns. only gun barrels plugged into the gun ports nothing on deck to interfere with the rigging ,which appears to have been the focus of attention. When se'll be finished , God only knows...

Last edited:
No, this is not a commission. I do not know if you are aware of this, but, along with the New York, 10 other ships were destroyed at Gosport (now Norfolk) Harbor in April 1861. I have completed the other 10 ships and this is the last of this project. I felt the episode in US Naval History of the destruction of those ships was deserving of a commemoration of sorts. If only for my own enjoyment. I had entertained thoughts of donating them to the National Maritime Museum, but attempts to engage the lady in charge have so far gone unanswered.

Some of these museum bureaucrats wouldn't know the crown jewels if they tripped over them. Have you tried Norfolk (or is that the same thing?) There's got to be a berth somewhere, Maybe contacting Mike Wall would get a toe in a door. R. Michael Wall, Ship Model Broker, Collection Management and Appraisals. American Model Gallery. wall@shipmodel.com, www.shipmodel.com, 978-281-1166. If he sees the pictures and dimension of the collection he will most assuredly take interest.( I know him only by reputation, but I do know he is responsive and not dismissive, and has clout) Definitely worth taking a run at.
Another approach to getting them up on the radar would be an article in the NRG. They will assuredly sit up and take notice. Worthwhile in any case!
I really believe they should remain together as a collection and end up on display some where. They are a Treasure of great historic value! The result of an effort that should not pass without notice. I'll see who I can talk to at the USNA museum. The curator of models and director of education at the museum will see the value in them to the public. I'm afraid the museum director fits in the category described above. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so.

Pete

Last edited:
I did get ahold of Mike Wall who is now retired. He referred me to Gregg Dietrich who has taken over. I only was in contact with him for a potential appraisal of my ships, unfortunately with having to replace an A/C system costing north of 16,000.00 dollars I could not afford the 3500.00 fee. I never though to ask if after the appraisal there could be some potential links to interested museums?

All the best laid plans...I'll get ahold of Grant Walker ( official title Director of Education for the USNA museum) and Don Preul, Curator of Models. Hopefully the Director can be circumvented until a united front can be assembled on behalf of the Academy acquiring your collection if you are so disposed to donate it.
It would be a hell of an acquisition! But Don and Grant have to be convinced first. I believe they'll see the virtue in it. I'll email them and you can send them the pictures that way. I'll use the personal mail to send you my email and theirs after I alert them.
3500 bucks! Jeez! What century am I living in?

Pete

Last edited:
I have had exceptional success applying a coat of matte polyurethane to a hull prior to the copper tape for copper plating. The poly provides a near perfect surface for the copper adhesive. A thought for you…think about applying a coat of poly over your primer grey hull surface…either way the secret for successful copper plating using adhesive backed copper strip is a very clean, dust free, oil free surface…great modeling thus far!

The adhesive on the copper tape appears to react with the primer. I have noticed that if I need to redo a section I did earlier (after a period of a few days at least), it is impossible to just peal it off. I need a chisel xacto blade to scrape it off and many times the primer comes with it.

This is a ships' wheel created for the 8' long model of the USS St. Lawrence pictured in the USNA model workshop. This wheel has to be about 5 times larger than the one created by Threebs, (Greg) and was the product of the combined efforts of several craftsmen, a computer, casting equipment, a laser machine and handwork. Making all the more astonishing, by comparison, the creative ingenuity and skill employed in making Greg's marvelous tiny masterpiece! Hats off to you, sir, an inspiring accomplishment! 20230706_162136.jpg20230706_162207 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliment! This is going to be rather long,

When I first started making scratch models and research discovered the ships burned in 1861, my next decision was what scale. I chose 1/72 for several reasons. My modeling in WW2 aircraft and vehicles made me familiar with the scale, since I was going to have 11 of them and had only a roughly 20 foot by 20 foot space for them (it WAS going to be our front room formal living/dining room until my son, his wife and their 2 daughters moved it with us), it is now the double stall of our 3 stall attached garage. Third was it gave me a size large enough to do some decent detailing. Whew! That said, as I progressed, many people said I should concider donating them to museum when the project was done. I did not think I wanted to do that as I received great personal pleasure from working around them eveyday. Now how ever as the project nears completion, I am willing to entertain thoughts of doing so sould my work prove to meet museum standards and requirements. The single biggest reason for my change of heart is, BLUSH, a self serving one. I would like to remake the Pennsylvania in 1/48 scale. I could really challenge myself as to the detail I could pack into such as large model.

Your models meet all of the requisite qualifications for any decent Museum. The problem is that the people in a position to make these decisions often don't:mad:
The Philadelphia project sounds ambitious, but whatta hell, you only go 'round once, so go for it. ;)

Pete

Both lower gun decks are in as are their gun carriages. Bow sprit base is made as is the bowsprit itself. Main gun deck is planked only where it might be seen through the main hatch and ladder openings in the spar deck. The procedure for weathering the planks is shown. After the and gray are well dried sand lightly with 220 grit and 400 grit varying the pressure to bring out the tan.

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG