USS Independence 1814 90 Gun - Needed Ship Plans

Hello everyone,

I may have placed my original request into the incorrect forum as I can not find it on this site.

I'm looking for the ship plans for the USS Independence.
I've found pictures of the ship and its sail plans - but nothing on its build.
Being the first of its kind for the United State, you'd think there would be pith lora of information about her build.

Any leads would be appreciated.

USS_Independence.jpeg

USS_Independence_1.gif

Hello everyone,

I may have placed my original request into the incorrect forum as I can not find it on this site.

I'm looking for the ship plans for the USS Independence.
I've found pictures of the ship and its sail plans - but nothing on its build.
Being the first of its kind for the United State, you'd think there would be pith lora of information about her build.

Any leads would be appreciated.

View attachment 401991

View attachment 401992
Maybe our friend @threebs is able to help and knows about plans for this vessel.

He made already several scratch models from USS sailing vessels

Thank you Uwek
I'll have to reach to @threebs to learn where he acquired the ship plans from.
I'm also need to learn how he is able to crank out so many models within such a short period of time.
He does very nice work and knowing how he does it will help us all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best source of American warship drawings, other than Constitution, is the US National Archives. The ship stuff is at their College Park Maryland site.
I used to make a list from their catalog, go there, have them pull stuff and get scan/prints of the items I wanted. It's been a while since I've done that, years actually, and they've allegedly gone mostly online. A while back I found many of the plans I got in person online, full-size, for free. It's not easy to navigate, but here's the link...

The best source of American warship drawings, other than Constitution, is the US National Archives. The ship stuff is at their College Park Maryland site.
I used to make a list from their catalog, go there, have them pull stuff and get scan/prints of the items I wanted. It's been a while since I've done that, years actually, and they've allegedly gone mostly online. A while back I found many of the plans I got in person online, full-size, for free. It's not easy to navigate, but here's the link...
Thank you very much Jerry for the link and advice as it is greatly appreciated.
It will be interesting to see what is in their archives as I'm sure I could spends weeks poking around in them! :)

I have found working with NARA to be some what vexing. For instance they evidently "lost" the spar deck plan for the Merrimack in the course of their switch over to digitalizing. The Smithsonian Institute has a catalog of America's sailing navy.

IMG_7973.JPG

IMG_7974.JPG

IMG_7975.JPG

I was gonna do the Smithsonian/Chapelle catalog next, but I couldn't find it! :)
Having found it, the only plan for the Independence I see is as a razee (from HASN).

The Franklin was her sister ship and so similar to Independence that you could use Franklin's plans. Much like the Delaware plan could be used to make the New York or Virginia and new Hampshire.

I have found working with NARA to be some what vexing. For instance they evidently "lost" the spar deck plan for the Merrimack in the course of their switch over to digitalizing. The Smithsonian Institute has a catalog of America's sailing navy.

View attachment 404846

View attachment 404847

View attachment 404848
Thank you @threebs for this most valuable piece of information.
I will defiantly look into it.

How did you acquire the bound edition of the Smithsonian's Catalog for ships?
What are the approximate cost of the ship plans as I only see the is a modest processing fee of $5.00 per 12 sheets?

Losing ship plans isn't a surprise to me as the Gov officials would lose their own heads if it weren't attached.
This is why I have a lot of respect for the English as they guard their historical records with respect and dignity from the time they were created to the present.

Also thanks for the noting the similarity between sister ships - again a very important piece of information to know.

Again thanks for the information!

View attachment 404846

View attachment 404847

View attachment 404848
Thank you @threebs for this most valuable piece of information.
I will defiantly look into it.

How did you acquire the bound edition of the Smithsonian's Catalog for ships?
What are the approximate cost of the ship plans as I only see the is a modest processing fee of $5.00 per 12 sheets?

Losing ship plans isn't a surprise to me as the Gov officials would lose their own heads if it weren't attached.
This is why I have a lot of respect for the English as they guard their historical records with respect and dignity from the time they were created to the present.

Also thanks for pointing out the similarity between sister ships - as that is a very important piece of information to know.

Again thanks for the information!

Image 404847 shows a web address where you can get info like the catalog cost (I am pretty sure it is around 15.00 US). The address in the center of the page is where you send the check or money order. They do not do online purchasing or accept credit or debit cards. Most plans are about 10 to 20 bucks depending on how many sheets there are. Here is a sample page from the catalog to give you some idea what plans cost.

IMG_7976.JPG

I believe you asked about my ability to make models so quickly. May I suggest you check my U Tube channel? It is really the only way I can answer that question with any clarity. @gregbaumgartner8257. I would appreciate any comments.

Back