USS Constitution "Old Ironsides " 1:93 Scale Mamoli

Looking good Geoff. I too like your milling machine. :handgestures-thumbup:
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Hi Mike

Thanks for droping by my build log.

The Mill will get a little bit of a workout soon. It is also handy with lining up and drilling a series of holes evenly.

Cheers
Geoff

Aussie048 said:
Hi Lawrence

Yes it the Micro Mill is a good little tool. I intend to make the ships steering wheel as who I purchased it I also got the dividing table at the same time

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

Yes, I could have a lot of fun with a little mill like that, and just think you have a dividing head also to go with it, what a joy that would be. When I built my wheel for the HMS Bounty I had to go the old route and use my dividers, you are so much better off than I was. But it is still fun, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Aussie048 said:
Hi Lawrence

Yes it the Micro Mill is a good little tool. I intend to make the ships steering wheel as who I purchased it I also got the dividing table at the same time

Cheers
Geoff

I am interested in the chop saw, have you tried either the Proxxon or the MicroLux? Something to cut brass tubing bands. :D
Doug

Hello Geoff

Yes, I could have a lot of fun with a little mill like that, and just think you have a dividing head also to go with it, what a joy that would be. When I built my wheel for the HMS Bounty I had to go the old route and use my dividers, you are so much better off than I was. But it is still fun, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence

I remember you making the ships wheel now and it would have been a hard job at that size. When I got the Mill and dividing head, it was a toss up for a small lathe. I figured I could do more with the Mill and could always spin a mast in a cordless drill. I do have dividers and find they come in handy for measuring from plan to ship or getting an internal measurement, but that is about it. I can mount the dividing table either vertically or horizontally.

It might take me a few goes at the ships wheel, but it should be fun. There was another Mamoli Connie being finished off when I started mine. This one sat around for 20 years and was at the stage of painting the hull. I have a PDF of the build from painting the hull to being finalized. In it there is a PDF of the ships wheel and also the ships boats. I will probably make both of those and also the deck cannon carriages.

Cheers
Geoff

Doug

I have a mini drop saw. I'd say it came out of the same factory but a different door. I have always thought it was cutting on a slight diagonal angle.

I have never seen the Proxxon drop saw.P1010009D.jpg

Hi Geoff,I like to do planking slow and no rush,just make sure everything is flush,yours looking great so far.I need that proxxon milling machine too,maybe one day. :D

I like the plank marker jig. I never would have thought about that. I have seen some other planking vises, but they are kind of short. What you did here is great as you can take in almost the whole length of plank. I need to start doing things like this, but with me, it seems my time is limited.

Donnie

Aussie048 said:
Doug

I have a mini drop saw. I'd say it came out of the same factory but a different door. I have always thought it was cutting on a slight diagonal angle.

I have never seen the Proxxon drop saw.

Hmmm, may have to think about that then. We'll see how well my patience holds up.
Thanks again for the advice.
Doug

I'm slowly closing the gap. I takes a bit of time when you do a wet dry fit and after the planks are dry to glue them in place. Plus mark and taper the planks

I'll remeasure again tomorrow to make sure we are still on course withe the planking.

Cheers
GeoffP1010011d.jpg

Hello Geoff

Great job you are doing on your planking, yes it sure is a long drawn out process to wet, bend, dry and then fit each individual planks and then afterwards to install them, wait for the glue to dry and then start all over again on the next two. but this is the way that I have always planked my ships, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

I have already found that I have to be careful about how tight I pull a plank into place when it is wet. What I mean is that I have a tendency to pull the plank while gluing it in...and when the plank is very soft, it will not have an arch to it as it goes from Bulkhead to Bulkhead, but what happens is that you can see (when the plank dries) it forms kind of a straight line from Bulkhead to Bulkhead therefore you can see the humps of the Bulkheads instead of a nice arch flowing from one to another. This is the only problem I have found that I have to be careful about. Anyway, just my 2 cents :twocents-twocents:

Donnie

I don't mind people puting there 2 cents in. I prefer to call it constructive advice.

With the flip clips I have been pushing straight down on the plank on the bulkhead to make sure the extra bit is square. I have also been using the finger clamps in between the bulkheads most of the time. I did not use to many finger clamps last night and do see one that is sitting down slightly. I will keep an eye out.

Thanks for the advice

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff,your progress is steady ,the name of the planking geme is "no rush",just keep it coming!!

Zoltan

I am in no rush at all. If it does not happen today well it might and I say might happen tomorrow.

Different thing are being done which will fall into the build log later on.

Cheers
Geoff

I've taken new measurements of the gap in the hull and we were at 10.6 planks to fit in. We are now down to 9.6 planks to fit in. Getting closer. The I have to insert the diagonal planks in the hull to finish off the first layer plankingP1010012d.jpg

looking good Geoff. What brand did you say your milling machine is. :?:
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Mike

Thanks for droping by. It is a PROXXON MICRO Mill MF 70

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

Just checking in to see that you are making some real nice progress with your planking, sure do like that different two tones of wood that you are using, looks just great. ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Back