USS Constitution "Old Ironsides " 1:93 Scale Mamoli

I have not achieved as much as I would have liked. I got my tick strip out and the gap from Port tom starboard was way out.

Hmmm I thought and the realized that I had put one more plank on one side than the other :angry-banghead: . So I have fixed that up. I then found out testing my spreadsheet for the Taper measurements had an indiscretion it it, :angry-banghead: so I fixed that. I got my camera unplugged from my comuter and found I had left the camera on, :angry-banghead: so there goes 4 brand new batteries that were in it.

I replaced the batteries in the camera and this is what a work bench should look like

I'm giving up for the day. :D

Cheers
GeoffP1010003D.jpg

Geoff, I am sorry but your bench does not meet the standards of the HSBG, there is order but where is the chaos.
Regards
Eric

BTW, HSBG stands for (The) Honourable Ship Builders Guild

OK Geoff, you made me do it... ...I've got to go tidy up in the modeling room right now ;-) You would not believe how it looks after the first planking, pins I dropped all over the floor, off-cuts, shavings, all the tools are out in a big pile on the bench.

I am now driven by guilt seeing your lovely tidy work bench to do something about it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Shall be back to study your spreadsheet after getting the tidying up done. I did a sort of 'rough' version of proper planking on my first build, mostly judged by eye, but some help from tick strips, I want to figure the second planking out as properly as I can though.

Gemma :text-imsorry:

A clean Hobby rooms is a happy hobby room. :banana-dance:

Cheers
Geoff :D

Lawrence

I had to clean mine up after a 9 month or so lay off, so I could work out there all the tools where.

Doesn't you Admiral keep you in check.

Cheers
Geoff

I used a method this morning of wetting the entire plank in hot water and wet fitting them. I will let the planks dry out and then take of the Foldback Clips. From what I have been reading they were more pliable to attach the planks and they should hold there shape. Once that is done then fit the with some PVA

Cheers
GeoffP1010001cd.jpg

Hi Geoff
That looks very impressive.

I have bulldog clips but not like you have got.

Nice, keep up the good work.

Denis.

Aussie048 said:
I used a method this morning of wetting the entire plank in hot water and wet fitting them. I will let the planks dry out and then take of the L Foldback Clips. From what I have been reading they were more pliable to attach the planks and they should hold there shape. Once that is done then fit the with some PVA
P1010001cd.jpg

Cheers
Geoff

This is exactly what i do in planking too :) Good job.

Denis

They are called 19mm fold back clips you make 2 out of 3 by inserting the wire through one of the clips and then repeat on the other one.

They hold the plank in vertically and horizontally.

Cheers
Geoff

Thanks for visiting my build log mtbediz1

I saw it the other day and decided it was worth a go.

Cheers
Geoff

Aussie048 said:
Lawrence

I had to clean mine up after a 9 month or so lay off, so I could work out there all the tools where.

Doesn't you Admiral keep you in check.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

No, my Admiral will not tidy up my Old Ship Yard as this is my domain, and if she did I would never be able to find a thing, but she does give an opinion and helps me search for things occasionally, and that is very helpful.

Great job you are doing on your hull planking, those clips sure make the job much easier and do not leave all of those nail holes. I am still working on my display case for my Bounty, Broke a piece of glass yesterday as it ran out the wrong way, ordered a replacement at $38.00 so that will not be too bad as I used old glass for the other 3 sides, will have to wait for a top piece measurement, just to be sure, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }

Hi Lawrence

Great to see you visiting my build log, like old times.

I've found that with the clips that if the curve in the bulkhead is a valley then they are a little bit to long and you cannot push the black bit right up into the side of the plank. If the curve in the in the bulkhead is a hill then they are OK and you can push the black bit right up into the side of the plank. Also seating of the wire square with the plank is important. I will do a bit of adjustment on some of them with a knockcrometer and give them a little love. I also nee to start using my taper spreadsheet so a bit of measuring to do plus I want to chase up a lead on some Minwax that seems impossible to find over here.

That should square out the weekend and then back into planking over the next week or two.

Cheers
Geoff

Geoff,
can you take a picture of how the clips hold the plank in both directions? thanks. I have been using push pins hammering them into the planks.

Hi Donnie
You will see that the extra silver part inserted in the inside that of the 19mm Foldback Clip is pushed flush with the top of the plank where the spring part is pushed up against the side of the clip.

The back of the clip is slightly raised because of the curvature of the bulkhead so that the setup of the clip is square with the plank. If the angle of the bulkhead dips then there maybe an issue placing the spring metal part of the clip hard up against the side of the plank. I will give the extra piece in the clip a belt with a hammer to shorten them and see if that improves the setup. Just on a few for starters.

I pinched the idea of Lawrence (Canoe 21) Lawrence who did say from time to time he also uses 32mm Fold Back Clips.

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff,what type of glue are you using?? I used CA and was holding the plank in place by finger for 5-10 seconds,and done.

Zoltan

I am using Selleys Aquadhere PVA but have some titebond II here as well. PVA gives you more reaction time than CA. Which gives the stronger bond I do not know.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff,Micro Mark has some planking clamps,I am going to make some clamps you are using and maybe purchase micro mark clamps too,I have some allergic reaction for CA ,so I have to switch to PVA only as much as possible.

http://www.micromark.com/Planking-Clamps-10

Zoltan

Those planking clamp set you are thinking of buying. I have some and had a bit of trouble finding them. There were buried underneath a heap of Map pins they they can stay. The srews are blunt. You would need to drill holes in the Bulkead to get the started and take to much set up

Chees
Geoff

Back