USS Constitution by Model Shipways 1:76 scale.

It's time for another progress report, I've completed the planking from the main rail to the top of the whale.

View attachment 393470
My plan was to plank the transom first, holding the hull like this made aligning the planks easier.
View attachment 393471
First plank in position, the side extensions will be fitted after the planks to insure that the transom curve is correct.
View attachment 393476
Transom complete the port lids are just dry fitted to check sizes.

View attachment 393474
The placement of the first plank is very important, I wanted to go from the gunport to the main rail without cutting down the planks.
View attachment 393475
This is how I setup the first plank, 5 planks down to the gunports and 3 up to the rail.

View attachment 393478
A 1/32" lip is required for the lids, when closed they must be flush with the hull.
View attachment 393472
I made a some brass pieces with a block of wood glued 1/32" away from the edge to position the planks between the ports.

View attachment 393473
Two more planks to finish this section then test fit the gunport lids to make sure they fit OK.

View attachment 393482
Last job is to cut out the upper deck gunports this turned out to be easier than I expected. First I used a micro saw then a file and finished it off with an aluminium L section with sandpaper stuck to it. Nice square corners and didn't take too long to do.

View attachment 393480
View attachment 393483
View attachment 393484

The whales will be next once I've worked out how to make them.
Thanks a lot for looking at this and any comments welcome.

Tony
Good morning Tony. Wow you are doing fantastic work here. Cheers Grant

Very accurate preparation - and very good execution and result -> you are on a very good way for getting a beautiful result!

work in progress....
Soon the "D" section or BELT D the lowest part: here I have a lot of questions..
Because in the user manual they are referring to sheet 4 for details but...nothing on sheet or plan4...
So I wil try to figure out how many, the width and thickness of the planks....

Or, Tony, did you already have a look into it?

Marc

Tony90.jpg

Tony91.jpg

Tony92.jpg

Do you find it hard to work with such narrow planks?
Not at all: on the contrary.
I really enjoy working with these planks... It offers many advantages:
flexible
easy to sand to size
It makes it easier for you to correct mistakes.
But it is very labor intensive, in other words it takes a lot of time compared to the "standard" 3/32 x 3/16.

Not at all: on the contrary.
I really enjoy working with these planks... It offers many advantages:
flexible
easy to sand to size
It makes it easier for you to correct mistakes.
But it is very labor intensive, in other words it takes a lot of time compared to the "standard" 3/32 x 3/16.
thank you for the feedback.

work in progress....
Soon the "D" section or BELT D the lowest part: here I have a lot of questions..
Because in the user manual they are referring to sheet 4 for details but...nothing on sheet or plan4...
So I wil try to figure out how many, the width and thickness of the planks....

Or, Tony, did you already have a look into it?

Marc

View attachment 395604

View attachment 395605

View attachment 395606
Hi Marc
Firstly your planking looks great. I've just finished the whales and you have nearly finished the hull, well done.
I could not see anything on plan 4 to help with the last section of planking. Plan 3 shows it's made up with 9 planks. Some of the planks are more than 1/8" wide at the stern so you may need some inserts in this area.
I'll be adding some photos this weekend.
Tony.

Good job - and congrats for finishing the hull planking - Looking very good

Hello Tony, Gentlemen,

Long time ago, everting ok?

I would like to get your advise.
I'm studying's the deck spar and would to define the color of it.
I found several colors going from brown to dark grey to light brown etc.....and following:
"
USS Constitution has four complete decks–spar, gun, berth, and orlop–that combine to make her about the height of a four-story building. The spar deck, or top deck, was originally made from a combination of white oak planking (to support the heavy weight of the carronades) with Carolina pitch pine flanking the hatches."

1695708764716.png

1695708886953.png

Hello Tony, Gentlemen,

Long time ago, everting ok?

I would like to get your advise.
I'm studying's the deck spar and would to define the color of it.
I found several colors going from brown to dark grey to light brown etc.....and following:
"
USS Constitution has four complete decks–spar, gun, berth, and orlop–that combine to make her about the height of a four-story building. The spar deck, or top deck, was originally made from a combination of white oak planking (to support the heavy weight of the carronades) with Carolina pitch pine flanking the hatches."

View attachment 396672

View attachment 396673
Hi Marc
Firstly congratulations on completing your hull it looks great. Two weeks is quite an achievement it took me that to do the whales.
The deck colour is difficult, it looks very different in depending on light and weather. I'm going to experiment with some different stains on the planks provided with the kit.
Tony

... I'm glad to hear you back... I was afraid you...
Indeed, the Hull planking went very smooth.
I followed the plan and this avoided to use a lot of stealers etc....
And, I don't need to use wood fillers ....

I am very curious to see your main wale realization... As I know you it will be perfect....

Hallo Tony,

Just for your info.
I'm fitting the plywood deck on the Hull.
But before installing the deck and perhaps starting the planking of it....I will first (next weekend) finish the sanding and paint the whole Hull with a primer.
Then looking for some beauty errors and eventual adding a little bit wood filler...

Tony101.jpg

Tony102.jpg

Hallo Tony,

Just for your info.
I'm fitting the plywood deck on the Hull.
But before installing the deck and perhaps starting the planking of it....I will first (next weekend) finish the sanding and paint the whole Hull with a primer.
Then looking for some beauty errors and eventual adding a little bit wood filler...

View attachment 397082

View attachment 397083
I was hoping not to paint mine. I don't know if that will be possible or not, though

Back