USS Constitution 1:76 Scratch

I agree with the others - looking very good

Only one remark and due to the fact that you made it in scratch, you can maybe adjust it

18.jpg

short time ago we had a detailed discussion in my building log about the orientation of the gratings

and it comes out that the ledges of the gratings, so the visible long bars are oriented from bow to stern, so like the part with the red arrow.

we can see, that your smaller grating is oriented in the other direction (green arrow) - maybe you want to adjust and make both in the same direction - means like the red arrow

I agree with the others - looking very good

Only one remark and due to the fact that you made it in scratch, you can maybe adjust it

View attachment 393267

short time ago we had a detailed discussion in my building log about the orientation of the gratings

and it comes out that the ledges of the gratings, so the visible long bars are oriented from bow to stern, so like the part with the red arrow.

we can see, that your smaller grating is oriented in the other direction (green arrow) - maybe you want to adjust and make both in the same direction - means like the red arrow
Thank you for your attention Uwe. I didn't realize it until you mentioned. But I don't want to rebuild it because it won't be very visible since it will be under the spar deck anyway. But I will keep this guidance in my mind when I make the gratings on the spar deck.

This is an impressive and remarkable achievement already! I look forward to following your project. I am learning a lot from it.
I'd like a front row seat, if there are any left Thumbsup

Pete

I painted the gundeck waterways green. The color looked different in the photos due to the lighting, but it is actually a darker green.
I started doing the inner planking of the gundeck side walls. First, I cut the planks to the same size, paint them white and glue them between the gun ports.

34.jpg35.jpg33.jpg37.jpg38.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Most of the modelers who built the kit for this model mentioned the incompatibility of the stern frames in their build logs. I had to modify the outer frames on both sides, which was really incompatible, and align it with the others.

Meanwhile, the inner planking of the deck side walls has been completed.

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

Last edited:
What is the little model under construction to the right of the "Connie" in the second picture?
It is a Turkish fishing boat kit that I bought and started building 7 years ago when I first became interested in this hobby. It was left unfinished because I started building another kit before I finished it. If one day I decide to quit this hobby, I will finish her and then quit. :)

You can see what it's like in the link below.

Last edited:
Great little model. Looks well planned and designed. If only they all went together as easily and trouble-free as they do in the U-Tube animated videos!
I do hope you'll get around to finishing her one day. She's just the kind of prosaic, unglamorous craft I love to see modeled, with a worthiness, nobility and romance all their own. " Men who go down to the sea in ships." These little craft have so much more to do with the development and trajectory of seaworthy, practical ship design down through the ages, than do all the great Men O" War lumped together. (Merely, my own romanticized opinion, of course.) ;)
Thanks for including the linkThumbsup. I watched the whole virtual build and was very entertained.
I look forward to pulling up my chair and a Beer and being equally entertained following your progress on your wonderful "Connie" model. Great work! I definitely have become a fan!

Pete

Back