USS Constitution 1:76 Scratch

Very good work on the sheating
Just one small comment related to the thickness of the rudder blade - do not forget to reduce the width of the blade before coppering
At the bottom the blade is much thinner (green) than on the top (red)
View attachment 412092 View attachment 412091
The picture on the right gives a pretty good idea of what a salt-seawater patina looks like on copper sheathing.

Really nice detail work on the coppering, Mustafa, and I also appreciate the clever pintle hack. One point of curiosity - the Museum paints Connie with a semi-gloss black. You appear to be opting for flat. My personal opinion is that flats play better on scale models, but I was wondering whether you were going to clear-coat some degree of sheen.

Following your "Connie" build Thumbs-Up log is a great tutorial on scratch building ship models in general
Thanks for your interest, Peter. I do not consider myself a master enough to give lessons, and there may be many mistakes in the models I build, but having an engineering background helps me a lot in finding out how to do a job in the most appropriate and simple way under the current conditions. I am sharing my experiences in detail here to give some motivation and help to those who are interested in this hobby. In fact, I also learn many things from the others. This is why I like SOS and similar forum sites.

Really nice detail work on the coppering, Mustafa, and I also appreciate the clever pintle hack. One point of curiosity - the Museum paints Connie with a semi-gloss black. You appear to be opting for flat. My personal opinion is that flats play better on scale models, but I was wondering whether you were going to clear-coat some degree of sheen.
Thank you for the comment my friend. Yes, after I finish all the external work on the hull, I will paint it again and apply matte varnish on it.

All my engineering skills I learned in my workshop. I had an art background. The engineering basics I got by osmosis from my dad, who was, among many other things, one of those. I have an arts-history background. I mostly invented myself. The art-history-love of model building all came together over antique furniture, which gave me the opportunity to use all three, plus learning historic furniture engineering on the fly.
I love the way you are inventing and applying your knowledge however you come by it on the fly as a scratch model builder. It's waaaay more instructive than you may realize. I am learning a lot from you. It suspect it will come in handy on my current build. I plan to experiment with some of the techniques you have so generously shared with us on this build log. Thanks!

Pete

All my engineering skills I learned in my workshop. I had an art background. The engineering basics I got by osmosis from my dad, who was, among many other things, one of those. I have an arts-history background. I mostly invented myself. The art-history-love of model building all came together over antique furniture, which gave me the opportunity to use all three, plus learning historic furniture engineering on the fly.
I love the way you are inventing and applying your knowledge however you come by it on the fly as a scratch model builder. It's waaaay more instructive than you may realize. I am learning a lot from you. It suspect it will come in handy on my current build. I plan to experiment with some of the techniques you have so generously shared with us on this build log. Thanks!

Pete
Do you have a web page or build log that you share what you do Peter?

Last edited:
Do you have a web page or build log that you share what you do Peter?
I don't have a web page and all my furniture portfolio and process pictures are on conventional film prints in albums. I was slow to go digital and left that business before the smart phone and digital cameras were commonplace. I'll see what (with the help of one or another of my sons) can be scanned and made accessible to being posted. I'm afraid that I still have to rely on their command of this media that I as yet do not possess. when I can arrange some help, I'll post something by way of example. Thanks for your interest.

Pete

I don't have a web page and all my furniture portfolio and process pictures are on conventional film prints in albums. I was slow to go digital and left that business before the smart phone and digital cameras were commonplace. I'll see what (with the help of one or another of my sons) can be scanned and made accessible to being posted. I'm afraid that I still have to rely on their command of this media that I as yet do not possess. when I can arrange some help, I'll post something by way of example. Thanks for your interest.

Pete
Thanks for the response. I hope we can have the opportunity to see your great works with the help of your sons.

Always a pleasure to see your work, Mustafa. This is a difficult construction and you make it look easy!
Thank you very much Paul. Yes, it is really not easy construction at all. If I'm not mistaken, the quarter gallery on the starboard side alone consists of about 65 separate pieces, some of which are very small. I've been working on it for three days but I haven't finished it yet. But I still love this hobby :)

Last edited:
Dear Mustafa,

Your job on the Quarter Galleries is far much better compared to mine.... I wished I waited to see how you solve it.... Chapeau!

Marc
Thanks Marc. I'm glad you liked it. I have been planning how to do it for a long time because it's a pretty challenging job. I'm happy with the result for now.

Last edited:
Back