USS Arizona - 1/200 Build Log

That must have been a privilege. He experience would have been terrifying.
Since we’re talking about people we’ve known, we’ve admired and respect for the sacrifices they’ve made for us. Quick story… I had a friend, a navy veteran of WW2. One day he calls me and asked if I knew of a place where he could get motion picture film transferred to dvd. My connection to that process was being a tv news cameraman… and I happened to use a transfer company that I trusted. Fast forward to his getting the footage and a dvd back. He invited my wife and me to come over for drinks to thank me for helping. I watched the video and it turns out that it’s gun camera footage from an Avenger of a flyover of the USS Missouri during the Japanese surrender ceremony while it was taking place. He had never talked about his experience during the war. Of course I asked him where he’d gotten the footage, amazing piece of history. It was then that he revealed that he was in the Navy. A journalist till the end, I pressed him on … “so what did you do during the war, Charles?” “Oh… nothing much” was his reply…pressing further… it turned out that he was a rear gunner on dive and torpedo planes. His humility was palpable, you could cut it with a knife. “I was just a kid and did what was expected of kids his age.” Sadly he’s no longer with us but he’ll always be a hero to me.

Btw… I was a student of WW2 but the European Theatre. Personal reasons. I did drag my wife and young son on my homage to the men and women who participated in D-Day and the Normandy campaign. There’s a bit more to that story but I’ve taken up enough of everyone’s time.

Good luck with the Arizona, a worthy ship and worthy service people to pay homage to.

Happy Birthday Steve! Birthday-Cake
Jimsky,
It’s 2024 as the crow flies (mixed metaphor) and while reading the posts from our members I’m struck by the reverence everyone shows to each other and especially the veterans who served. We all seem to post our thoughts knowing how each vessel, each aircraft, held real people and deserve respect. Thank you and the members for setting that tone.
Peter

Since we’re talking about people we’ve known, we’ve admired and respect for the sacrifices they’ve made for us. Quick story… I had a friend, a navy veteran of WW2. One day he calls me and asked if I knew of a place where he could get motion picture film transferred to dvd. My connection to that process was being a tv news cameraman… and I happened to use a transfer company that I trusted. Fast forward to his getting the footage and a dvd back. He invited my wife and me to come over for drinks to thank me for helping. I watched the video and it turns out that it’s gun camera footage from an Avenger of a flyover of the USS Missouri during the Japanese surrender ceremony while it was taking place. He had never talked about his experience during the war. Of course I asked him where he’d gotten the footage, amazing piece of history. It was then that he revealed that he was in the Navy. A journalist till the end, I pressed him on … “so what did you do during the war, Charles?” “Oh… nothing much” was his reply…pressing further… it turned out that he was a rear gunner on dive and torpedo planes. His humility was palpable, you could cut it with a knife. “I was just a kid and did what was expected of kids his age.” Sadly he’s no longer with us but he’ll always be a hero to me.

Btw… I was a student of WW2 but the European Theatre. Personal reasons. I did drag my wife and young son on my homage to the men and women who participated in D-Day and the Normandy campaign. There’s a bit more to that story but I’ve taken up enough of everyone’s time.

Good luck with the Arizona, a worthy ship and worthy service people to pay homage to.
Thank you for your comments and and amazing story of your friend. The nobility of those who serve/served is so often passed over. As a veteran of nearly 40 years service, it's just a fact we don't perform our duties for glamour or recognition (or the pay ;)); it's one thing that sets military personnel apart from so many other professions.

I hope to finish off my Arizona shortly and will update my build log once I get going again.

Back