Tutorial Upgrading the Proxxon Micro Compound Table KT 70

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Greetings, All

With this thread, I am continuing the discussion about upgrading Proxxon tools (where possible). The subject of today's upgrade is the XY mini table Proxxon's official name is Micro Compound Table KT70. This Micro Compound Table KT 70 gives you the possibility of drilling to precise coordinates or performing small milling operations in conjunction with a bench drill press or a stationary milling machine. This compound table comes packaged with a Proxxon MF70 mill. As stated above, it is designed to be used with some of the other Proxxon devices and can be purchased separately. My Proxxon table was purchased a few weeks ago, at the so-called 'Garage Sale or Flea market, brand new for a fraction of the new one cost. ;) I intend to use it with the drill press stand.

600_4020.jpg

Alright, alright, Jim, you got the deal, but what is the deal with the upgrade? Yea...If you ever use a KT70 table, you will instantly notice that neither the 'Y' nor 'X' direction works smoothly and has some backlash (play). This makes a simple milling task frustrating ( at least to me), and prone to errors due to undesired play, grr. So what we can do to fix it?? Upgrading to thrust Ball Bearings will do the trick. Most of us, MF70 mill owners, will most likely upgrade our compound table within a few weeks of the mill purchase. There are many videos on YouTube showing the upgrade process, so with a purchase of the second table, a decision to made toward tutorial available for SOS members. It will be mostly photos accompanying the text explanations. You absolutely can copy and use the images your way (should you desire), no questions asked.

...so, what is the thrust bearing? Thrust bearings are a type of rotary bearing designed to support axial loads and reduce friction between moving parts. They come in several varieties, including thrust ball bearings, which are composed of bearing balls supported in a ring. Thrust bearings are commonly used in low-speed applications to separate a rotating surface from a non-rotating surface, support a rotary table, or absorb the thrust of a propeller. Thrust bearings should never be subjected to radial loads. During operation, the moving components of the machine move with the thrust bearing motion that is intended to allow and support rotation around a fixed shaft or axis. Sounds like this is exactly what we need - to support axial loads and reduce friction between moving parts.

Below, is the photo of exactly the thrust bearing we will be using for our upgrade. This is the label: F6-12M Thrust Ball Bearings 6mm x 12mm x 4.5mm.

Bearings.png

You can purchase those on Amazon or Aliexpress (links below)

We will also need some tools. Among those is: a 1.5mm hex, Philips screwdriver, and 5.5 and 10 wrenches. We also need some machine oil or grease and WD-40, to clean parts. Step drill bit (not shown).

IMG_0092.png

I assume the bearings are at your disposal, and you have all the necessary tools so we can begin the upgrade process. A few things I'd like to mention before we put our hands dirty. The parts from the X movement and the parts from the Y movement are not interchangeable they are completely different despite the similar look. The X parts are right-handed threads, and the Y is left-handed, when disassembled store them apart from each other.

Part 1: Disasemble
We will start working on the worktable, or the X-axis assembly. Slightly push the sharp object between the black cup cover and the base table to release the cup. Here you can see the nut. Holding the with one hand the wheel and using the 10mm wrench remove the nut.

OpenTheCups.png
Keep the nut in the cup for safety. The next step is to remove the traversing mechanism. Simply, turn the counter clock on the hand wheel until completely unscrewed and removed. Be careful, and do not touch the dial limb, we don't have to remove it for our tasks. Please note the washer, this is what was used instead of the bearing. You should remove it now and no longer required. At this point, it is a good idea to clean the thread with WD-40. Again, be careful not to remove the dial!

600_4026.jpg

Now, using the Philips screwdriver we can remove both the left and right side plates of the worktable, Once you remove it should be like this.

600_4024.jpg
Be familiar with the side plates. There are metal inserts and plastic covers. The inserts could be assembled either way, at your desire. Put them aside for the time being. We are ready to release the worktable. The precision and play are adjusted with set screws. Using the 5.5mm wrench, release three nuts, then using the 1.5 hex release the black set screws. Don't unscrew them completely. A few turns (or so) should do it.

RemoveSetScews.png
At this point, the worktable should be freely moving back and forth. Carefully slide the worktable until you release the brass plate (top part of the image above). Clean it and keep it safe aside. Well, that's it for the working table. We just disabled the X part of our compound table. Do not remove the graphite (white) nut. The next step is to disassemble the Y part of the table.
It is pretty much the same process. However, it has dustcovers and left-handed thread.
Remove the nut cover by pushing the sharp object between the cup and the side plate. Using the 10mm wrench and holding the hand wheel in one hand unscrew the nut. WARNING!!! This time, please turn the clockwise, recall this is the lefthanded thread.

600_4032.jpg
Time to remove the the traversing rod. Again, using the handwheel, turn the clockwise direction until completely removed. Clean the thread using the dump cloth in the WD-40 solution. Now you should have 2 traverse rods. Note one is the shorter than other.

600_4035.jpg
Time to remove the left and right side plates. Same procedure using the Philips screwdriver and 2 screws on each side.
Below is the photo of how the metal insert looks for the Y-part assembly. Pay attention to how they are positioned, it will come in handy when we assemble.
Photo1.png

The upper left part of the image depicts the washer used in place of the thrust bearing. Don't forget to remove them, we will no longer require them. Each of the side plates has two dust covers. Please spend a moment and observe how they are attached to the sides using the metal inserts.
Moving on with the final task, releasing the base. Using the 1,5mm hex and 5.5mm wrench release the set screws, Carefully slide the base (either direction) until you remove the brass part, and clean it from an old oil\grease.
Now you should have all parts separated from the compound table.

600_4041.jpg
In the above photo, all parts from the Y assembly and on the right side from the X assembly including the base and worktable. Below, is the photo, from the top and bottom sides of the base, NOTE: The bottom side has the black graphite traverse nut, while the top side has white. This is so you can distinguish between the right and left-handed threads. Do not remove them, you can clean them using the brash and WD-40 solution.

BaseAndPlanks.png

That's it folks, we have completed Part 1 of our tutorial. At this time, you can examine each part closely, and clean them from dirt, dust, and old grease (if any). Play with dust covers to see how they are assembled. Optionally (it is not required, and will not affect the functionality at all), I threaded the base and the worktable to use 3mm hex bolts, instead of regular Philips head screws used by Proxxon.

Untitled-1.png

Oh... it was a lengthy post, I hope you will not have any trouble following the steps outlined. But if you do, I am here, and don't go too far, will be assembling it back so it will work much smoother. Until then so long, and thank you!

Alright, folks. I got my thrust bearing delivered which I ordered on Amazon. Yes, they were a bit expensive, but I don't have to wait a few weeks for delivery. I ordered the pack of 10, but frankly, you will need only 4 of them. Each of the bearings comes in a sealed antistatic pouch. Here is how they look. I think we have everything we need to start putting together the compound table.

IMG_0093.png

Part 2: Assembly

From my personal experience, assembly is not more difficult than taking it apart. However, great care and attention are a must to succeed. Don't rush and follow the exact steps outlined below.
First, we have to prepare the plastic side covers to accept the bearing, Take a look at the image below. The photo labeled 1 is the original (from the factory) side plate, There is a washer used by Proxxon acting as a thrust bearing, It is the same diameter as our bearing and 1.0mm thick. However, our thrust bearing is 4.45mm thick (3.45mm difference). If you replace the washer with our bearing (photo labeled 2) you will see that it is almost the same height as the cup holder. Also, if we keep it as this, we will not have a chance to tighten the nut, as there will not be enough thread. One more very important point, we don't want bearing lay down on plastic, no way!

Photo2_a.png

To make sure, it is lying down on metal inserts, we will simply enlarge the hole in the plastic cover. To do this I use a step drill bit and hand drill. The enlarged hole should be just a bit larger than the actual diameter of the bearing. Photos 3 and 4 show the final result after the hole is enlarged, and the bearing lying down on the metal insert. As you can see, it is the same height as the original washer (photo 1). At this point, prepare all the holes, for all 4 plates. DO NOT enrage the hole in the metal insert, only in the plastic cover. If you don't have a step drill bit, you can use any tools at your disposal to enrage the hole. It doesn't have to be perfectly round, though.

The next step is to assemble the base. First, let's identify and position the front and the back. It is an imperative task. Take the aluminum base in your hand and check both guides. One is wider than the other. Position the base so the narrow guide will be to your left (see image below).

600_4056.png

Using the Philips screws attach the front side plate. First, Insert the yellow dust cover and position it exactly as in the photo below. Put on top the plastic cover on.

600_4034.jpg 600_4054.jpg
Now, use the screws, to attach the entire assembly to the base so the dust cover lies flat on the base guides. (image above). Notice that we don't use our bearing yet, Don't worry, there will be time later. Now, put the second dust cover on top of the first one. It should cover the end edge of the first one.

600_4059.png

I hope you are not confused and that the image above can help you with this. Alright, take the green base with the white graphite traverse nut on top, position it so the three set screws are to your left, and using the base guides slide it towards the front plastic side, so it overlaps the second dust cover.

600_4060.png
Please note, how the set screws for the worktable (X-axis) face the front, while the Y-axis set screws face the left (image above) Great job!! Now, carefully slide the green base towards the front and slightly backward just to make sure the dust covers work as expected. One should freely slide on top of another one.
Moving on. Bring the green base all the way to the front, and turn the base so the Y-axis set screws are facing the right. Slightly lifting the green base insert the dust cover (labeled 1) so the edge should be covered by the base. The second dust cover (labeled 2) goes under the first one as shown in the image. Once everything is set, lightly move the green base back and forth and check that the dust covers overlap and work either way. I have to admit, positioning the dust covers is the most tricky job, and may require more than one attempt. Take your time, don't move further with the assembly until it works as expected.

600_4059_a.png

Once the dust covers are set, the next task is to insert a brass thrust bar. It has one shiny side and a dent on another. The dent in the middle for the set screw. For this exercise, will be working with a short brass bar. Put some grease or machine oil on the shiny side, and carefully insert it between the base guide and the green base with the shiny side facing the base guide. It should easily slide, however, if you experience difficulties, you may further release the set screws, specifically the middle one.
Once the thrust bur is inserted, take 1.5 hex and lightly tighten the middle set screw (only). Try to move the green base and make sure the brass bar doesn't move with it. Don't worry about the other two set screws, we will adjust them soon. Once you are assured the brass bar is in place, and the dust covers are functioning as expected proceed with the last side cover, First, put the metal insert and cover it with a plastic cover. Use the last 2 Philips screws and tighten to the base.

600_4057.jpg

The entire assembly should look like in the image below. At this point, the green base should easily travel back and forth, and the dust covers slide as expected. There might be a little play at the base. This is fully expected as we haven't tuned up yet. We will do this tomorrow together.

600_4060.jpg

I hope you can understand my text along with images. Should you have questions or corrections, please let me know... Thank you. :)

...to be continued

Here I am again, folks. Today, we will continue our compound table upgrade, We are coming close to installing the thrust bearings. But first...

Part 2: Assembly (continued)

We left off, where the Y-axis movement has been assembled, but...required some final tuning. Before we proceed, make sure the Y-axis base travels freely when moving from right to left, and that the dust covers accompany the base. If, for some reason, something is not the way it should be, do not proceed further, You may need to check what was missed out. On my compound table, everything works as expected, so I will move on.
Now it is time to use the first thrust bearing. With Thrust bearings the force is parallel to the axis, meaning the force is pushing against the bearing. Take a look at the images below:

1. Housing race 2. The cage with rolling element (ball), and the Shaft race. The top and bottom elements are the same, and the cage with balls (in our case), goes in the middle.

Thrust-Bearings.png Bearing explained.png

Please use some lube and liberally spread it across all balls in the cage. I use Multylube by Sihl (the image is shown at the beginning of the thread), but please feel free to use any available at your disposal. Assemble the bearing as shown in the above image, and using the short traverse road carefully put on the bearing assembly until it stops at the dial limb.
The image below depicts this process. Warning: Make sure you removed all washers previously used!

Photo3.png

Now, it is time to put back the traverse road where it belongs. Put a bit of lube at the end of the road, before inserting. Please recall that this traverse rod is a left-handed thread, so we have to turn it counterclockwise!! Carefully push into the hole of the front-faced side. Try to hold the rod as straight as possible until it reaches the graphite nut (the black one), then turn counterclockwise until the first thread turns are in the nut, then continue until you see the end of the rod on another side.

600_4061.jpg

Now it is time to use the second bearing on the opposite side. First, make sure you have lubricated the bearing's cage, then make a sandwich and slide on the rod until it reaches a stop at the metal side's insert. Lastly, lightly tighten the nut, but don't close the cup yet. Now turn the wheel (in both directions) and make sure the base moving back and forth.

600_4063.jpg

Before we move to the final stage of the Y-axis upgrade, I'd like to spend time on troubleshooting steps (if you may require). Hopefully, you just not holding the rod straight enough, and moving to the left\right and up and down a bit, should do it. In case you still have trouble finding the first thread turns, then will have to take some intrusive troubleshooting. The most common trouble is when you remove (for some reason) the graphite nut and then set it in the wrong way. To check this, remove the front cover and using the flashlight check if the thread of the nut facing the front straight! If it is not, Grr.... then you will have to remove the base again and correctly set the nut. The image below shows the white nut positioned, but the black graphite nut positioned the same way.
600_4039.png
We are ready for the final task, tunning the movement of the Y-axis. First, let's see if there is a lag in the longitudinal feed: Hold the green base on the flat surface with your left hand, and holding the wheel with the right hand try to push and pull the rod, no turns, please. ;) Do you have a lag? If yes, then tighten the nut just a 'notch'. Test it again, still have a bit? Get another small notch on the nut. How about now? hope you answer 'Bingo'! Normally, the lag is due to the loose nut. It requires just tightening a bit to remove the lag. Do NOT overtighten, it will defeat the entire purpose of using thrust bearings. The last task is to tune up the set screws which will remove unnecessary play. Clamp the aluminum base to the tabletop, and make sure you can operate the wheel. With both hands holding the base try moving them in opposite directions, sideways. Do you feel the play? If yes, then you need to adjust. Take a look at the image below
600_4020.png

Here, we have three set screws. We already use the set screw #1, when we inserted the brass bar. The main purpose of the middle (1) set screw, is to hold the brass bar in its place. By tying both, the #2 and #3 set screws we moved the brass bar close to the guide, by that removing the play. Take your time, it requires persistence and patience. A few notches at a time, then test. You may remove the play, but make it too tight to traverse. You will have to find a 'Happy' balance between no play and easy traversing! Once happy, tighten the white nut (while holding the set screw, so it doesn't move within), like in the image below.

600_4028.jpg

Well...Today's evening was no different, but we have accomplished a lot! We have completed and tuned a Y-axis part. The X-axis part should be a breeze to assemble. Will use the same procedure as they are identical. I am taking a short break and will continue tomorrow, Thank you for your support likes, and comments.

to be continued...

Thank you for your comments and likes, folks. :) I am grateful to know that the tutorial will come in handy and there is an interest in it. Today, we will discuss the last chapter of our compound table upgrade. By now, you should have tuned up the Y-axis mechanism, which is working flawlessly. Remember, don't overtighten the nut on the traverse rod and the set screws, you will have to find a 'golden' balance between easy traversing and minimum play.

Part 3: X-axis assembly

With the experience and practice, we acquired while installing thrust bearings for the Y-axis, the X-axis conversion should be a breeze. Let's begin. We shouldn't remove the white graphite traverse nut ( X-axis), however, if for any reason it was removed from the base, make sure you have installed it the right way (image below)

600_4039.png

Using the Philips screws, attach the right faceplate to the worktable. This is the faceplate where you will insert the traverse rod. Insert the worktable using the left and right guides on the green base. Make sure that the set screws are on the left side. Take the brass bar and lubricate the shiny side. Using the image from previous posts, insert the brass bar between the green base guide and the worktable guide. Recall, that the lubricated side should face the guide of the worktable. Tighten the bar using the middle set screw so it stays in position.

Prepare the third thrust bearing by applying the lubricant to the rolling retained element (brass cage), and slide it to the scale dial. Again, remove all previous washers, they will no longer required. Put just a bit of lubricant on the end of the traverse rod and insert it into the front side's hole. Try holding it straight, and lightly push until it reaches the nut. Now, make a few turns (clockwise) to make sure the traverse rod fits several turns of thread. Once you are assured, continue turning until you reach the scale dial.

600_4064.jpg

At this time you can safely attach the left faceplate to the worktable, prepare the last thrust bearing, and insert it into the rod. Lightly tighten the nut and try turning the flywheel back and forth. Now, It is time for the last task adjustment and tune-up.

Hold the base with your left hand and move the worktable (back and forth) to feel the lag (if any). If you have a lag, you will need to tighten the traverse nut a bit. Check again, and it still has the lag, give it a bit again. Technically speaking, the nut just needs to hold the thrust bearing in place. DO NOT overtighten!!

Now we will remove the play by adjusting the set screws. Please refer to the previous post where we discussed this in great detail. If you tighten the set screws too much, you will have a hard time to turn the flywheel. If you tighten them not enough you will have a play. The idea behind the set crews is by turning them clockwise, you are moving the brass bar closer to the worktable guide, hence removing the gap (play). I recommend is to mount the compound table to the FX70 (if you have one), otherwise clamp the base to the tabletop firmly. This way the table is steady and will not move. Holding the worktable at the left and right side try to move sideways and up and down. Do you feel the play? If yes, then adjust the set screws #1 and #3 by turning them clockwise. Check again, and adjust as necessary. Also, don't forget to check the worktable movement, it should slide easily, and evenly, very smoothly.
This is called a tune-up, and often times it would require a decent amount of time until there is no play, and at the same time the worktable moves smoothly! Here it will require patience and persistence. But in the end, and I can assure, you will be rewarded and proud of yourself as well as enjoy using the crosstable. By the way, it was the ultimate goal for this tutorial, and we have reached it!!

1694396177220.png

Oh...That was a very long tutorial, seriously, but I think, we covered all the bases and you should be able to follow along and upgrade your own compound table, to give it a second (better) life. Personally, I don't consider it an easy task, however, I think, if we are capable of building the ship models, we have the potential for such an upgrade.

Thank you all for your assistance, I sincerely hope you found this tutorial informative and worthwhile. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments and I will be happy to assist.

Excellent work Jim. There was also another great upgrade to this machine by installing larger diameter hand adjustment wheels for quicker operation. Unfortunately I cannot remember the details.
Thanks, Brian. Yea...I've never seen such videos, If you find them please post them.

Thanks for sharing Jim. While I'm not a Proxxon guy, I do know they are very capable machines and have a large and loyal following. I'm sure there are many SoS members who will benefit from your tutorial!

Thanks for sharing Jim. While I'm not a Proxxon guy, I do know they are very capable machines and have a large and loyal following. I'm sure there are many SoS members who will benefit from your tutorial!
I fully agree with you, Ken. Proxxon seems to be a brand name trusted among modelers across the world. Also, the MF70 milling machine is a very popular tool and hence comes with such a compound table. It is a shame Proxxon still supplied this compound table with washers instead of thrust bearings.

The question for you @Hoss6262. Given you the chance to replace washers following my tutorial, would you be able to do it? I am trying to find out if the text and images are enough wording (explaining) and not misleading/confusing. Are there any specifics I should change or better explain? Thanks for your feedback!

Excellent work Jim. There was also another great upgrade to this machine by installing larger diameter hand adjustment wheels for quicker operation. Unfortunately I cannot remember the details.
I too saw that video although I believe I saw it on YouTube… I’ll look for it.

As Jim mentioned above, do not remove the scale dial from the knob. There is a tiny spring steel piece inside dial that acts to create resistance for the scale. It will pop out and be impossible to find.… Grrr!
Correct, and thank you, Oliver! This is why I mentioned don't do it! :p Yeah, a very tiny steel piece, It has a tendency to run away ;) and hide somewhere. As you have mentioned, it acts as the spring to hold the dial-in position.

To answer your question Jim, yes I would have no issues performing the upgrade. This means pretty much anyone would. I think you took a potentially complicated process and broke it down into easily understood steps. Covered the Dos AND Don'ts. We all know a picture is worth a 1,000 words, but the relevant text explanations are just as important, in my opinion. A great balance of both in your presentation. And, really, it's not an easy thing to do. At least not for me. ;)

To answer your question Jim, yes I would have no issues performing the upgrade. This means pretty much anyone would. I think you took a potentially complicated process and broke it down into easily understood steps. Covered the Dos AND Don'ts. We all know a picture is worth a 1,000 words, but the relevant text explanations are just as important, in my opinion. A great balance of both in your presentation. And, really, it's not an easy thing to do. At least not for me. ;)
I really appritated your feedback, Ken! I have been a mechanical engineer in my young life, so the task was not a difficult one for me. But... I understand, that many novices may experience difficulties so I tried to be as descriptive as possible. Thanks again.

I really appritated your feedback, Ken! I have been a mechanical engineer in my young life, so the task was not a difficult one for me. But... I understand, that many novices may experience difficulties so I tried to be as descriptive as possible. Thanks again.
Well, as a retired engineer I understood your tutorial easily. However, I do have the advantage of having completed this upgrade a while ago. Even if I spent most of a day finding the little “spring” for the scale dial… ‍Redface:mad: Great work and I’ll be looking for your other tutorials!

Thanks for sharing this tutorial! I just ordered 20 pcs. from AliExpress as I have 3 tables to upgrade.
I appreciate the time it took to create the in depth article you wrote!
Thank You,
Steve

Jim:
The only part I am unclear on is what holes need to be enlarged with the step drill. I assume this is for clearance for the thrust bearings and would be abundantly clear with the parts in front of me. I have one of these x/y tables I bought on sale from Model Expo decades ago still sitting in a box...

Jim:
The only part I am unclear on is what holes need to be enlarged with the step drill. I assume this is for clearance for the thrust bearings and would be abundantly clear with the parts in front of me. I have one of these x/y tables I bought on sale from Model Expo decades ago still sitting in a box...
Sorry for the trouble. Yes, the holes in the side plates, in both Y and X axis. Exactly where the current washer is placed. The size of the hole should be slightly larger than the size of the thrust bearing.

This is the original face plate, with a washer in place. The red circle represents the cutting line.
600_4047.png

Here is the one with the enlarged hole.
600_4073.png

Thank you for your question and for pointing out for clarification.

Back