Top and Butt deck planking

I'm working on the upper deck of the Discovery1789. I'm thinking of putting in two top and butt strakes. They will be a little fiddly so I'm wondering if I should do them first and then plank the deck out to meet them?

I've been watching your videos all morning and they are very good. Thank you. But I think my problem is that you have a diagram of the planking layout and I have nothing so I have to try and figure out how they are laid out and I just can't seem to get started. Every time I pick a staring point I can seen a difficulty down the road. This is the hardest part I have encountered in this build. (did I mention that I bit off more than I can chew:):))
Maybe a question or two might help.
1. Are the T and B strakes tapered? It seems like it in any pictures but they are usually taken from one end of the ship and perspective throws me off.
2. Goodwin say's that the touch is either one quarter(hull) or two fifths(deck) of the way from one end of the plank. He says that like it's either one or the other, no waffling. Doesn't the touch have to be on a beam?

I tried making a drawing but I still wound up with the same mental block. Couldn't figure out where to put the first line:):) I've almost decided to used conventional planking but I hate to give up on a challenge.

OK I finally figured out where/how to start and got this diagram. I paused Kevins video and figured out kinda where everything went. There are some differences and the widths of some planks are out a bit because I'm too lazy to erase parts and redraw them but now I know the approximate shape and location of each plank. Even if I had it exact I would probably have some modifying to do on the actual ship anyhow. Does anything jump out as wrong? Dark lines are plank outlines and light lines are beam locations. Considering that they are only going to show in the waist it should be good.DSC04502.JPG

Hi Don. you are almost there with your plank layout. Its not as complicated as it seems. You need to think two strakes at a time, not one at a time when it comes to top and but joins. . the outer edge of the two strakes together that are joined top and butt will be tapered but will not be angled. The outer taper for both is the same as if you were installing a single regular large tapered strake. the top and butt joins face each other making the difficult join between them and not on the outer edge. so in your plank layout above, all you need to do is make the outer edge of each pair more regular and a gentle taper. think of them as a single big fat strake instead of two strakes. Then the angled joins (top and but) can be done much easier. I try to make them as flat as i can so when the two angled faces come together they fit well together even if they are pulled into a taper. With the wale where I had the same top and butt joins the biggest problem i has was that i could not see the lines and had to get a felt pen to show up on the dark planks.

I have added the plank layout from the Thorn. The red lines show the two strakes grouped together. Also at the bow and stern you may wish to have a stealer as has been done with the stern on the Thorn.

D46321AE-5A52-4A89-8872-4F1775830E33.jpeg

528C68BD-CCFE-424B-880E-7D6D94A5D109.jpeg

BE83AF87-AD85-43F1-B097-0EE934ED6415.jpeg

I think mine is OK except for the outside strake close to the stern. I have to sort out the stealer/s. There is no point in making a new drawing. Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

Back