tools for scratch building

assuming i have all the hand tools i need for ship building , what power tools would be good for scratch building, not necessarily the cheapest , just want to get an idea of what i would need to fit out a workshop , if and when i get around to having one .

HI ANTHONY, THIS IS JUST MY OPION STAY AWAY FROM THE OVERPRICED MODEL TOOLS ESENTIAL TO MY SEMI-SCRATCH BUILDING IS A MEDIUM TO LOW BIG BOYS TOOLS I TRY TO GET TOOLS THAT SERVE MORE THEN ONE USE GET A BAND SAW MINE $124.00 CAN DO JUST ABOUT ANY THING A BYRNES OR PROXXON CAN DO AND DO IT BETTER AND I CAN WITH A BLADE CHANGE DO RESAWING ALSO, AND A BIG BOYS DRILL PRESS, UNDER $100.00 CAN BE EASILY USED AS A SPINDAL SANDER AND EVEN AS A THICKNESS SANDER, AND THE MOST ESSENTIAL TOOLS ARE THE DREMELL ROTARY TOOLS I HAVE A MULTUDE OF THEM WHAT I DO IS GO ONTO EBAY UNDER ROTARY TOOLS YOU CAN FIND MANY DIFFERENT MODEL NO.S VERY CHEAP IF ONE BURNS OUT NO BIG DEAL YOU FIND THEM AS LOW AS $20.00 TO $25.00 JUST MY 2 CENTS BEFORE INFLATION LOL. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

Hello Anthony,

The most important and probably one of the best power tools I own - is Byrnes table saw. You will need a tablesaw! Dah...! Most-likely you will need bandsaw or scroll saw or both. Consider to have Disk Sander and Drill press. This is just to start with... A great thing to have - a thicknesses sander\planer. If you will plan to build frames - you will need oscillating drum sander.

Fabricating various metal parts will require to have metal lathe and mill machines. And the list is going on...on ..and on. Hope you are rich or have nice heritage from your grandparents ;)

nearly every week , model expo has some kind of sale so i did pick up the drill press , disk sander and table saw , at various times . i have used the drill press a couple of times , the disk sander a lot and the table saw not at all, not having used power tools before they seem a bit clumsy , i have ruined a few small parts trying to use the disk sander , the pieces gets stuck between the disk and the plate , so thats why i was wondering what every one else uses , which leads me to another question , would the same thing happen with a scroll saw , as the parts are fairly small , would they fit on the table without falling through the cracks
or maybe i'm using these tools wrongly , what would be a good band saw/scroll saw , what should i look for when buying one , like i said i haven't used power tools for modelling in the past but i am comfortable with power tools for diy . sorry , it seems like a lot of questions , i am sure that most people are in the same boat and don't want to waste money on tools that are of no use and yes i have wasted money on some model expo tools that once i got them realised i will never use them

GOOD shop vacuum or shop dust collector system, I know Harbor Freight has a dust collector system.

Dust gets to be a major problem is small room or workshop if some system to suck in dust while being made, to keep from lungs and going all over the place.

Bright overhead work light!.

Nice to have a proper spindle sander (ones that go up and down as the turn), but a good set of spindle sanding units mounted in drill press work well for a bit less, you just need a base with proper hole drilled for spindle to go in so you can get work up to side not bottom of spindle.

Donnie uses this method, I am sure others may as well, and can tell you where to get spindle attachments from.

For problems with disk sander gap and scroll saw or table say, you can make "zero clearance" plates that fit, or make adapters for disk sanders. Pick up good flat piece of scrap wood and clamp to disk sander worktable after making barely visible gap by pushing into spinning disk and use business card or thin card stock to set gap when not turning. Half width of disk is all that is needed, as you normally sand on only half the spinning disk for most work.

nearly every week , model expo has some kind of sale so i did pick up the drill press , disk sander and table saw , at various times . i have used the drill press a couple of times , the disk sander a lot and the table saw not at all, not having used power tools before they seem a bit clumsy , i have ruined a few small parts trying to use the disk sander , the pieces gets stuck between the disk and the plate , so thats why i was wondering what every one else uses , which leads me to another question , would the same thing happen with a scroll saw , as the parts are fairly small , would they fit on the table without falling through the cracks
or maybe i'm using these tools wrongly , what would be a good band saw/scroll saw , what should i look for when buying one , like i said i haven't used power tools for modelling in the past but i am comfortable with power tools for diy . sorry , it seems like a lot of questions , i am sure that most people are in the same boat and don't want to waste money on tools that are of no use and yes i have wasted money on some model expo tools that once i got them realised i will never use them

You bring an interesting point, it may worth to rephrase your original question you have asked when start this thread: what power tools would be good to have for scratch building?
While scratch building is the great way to learn our hobby, it is not for everyone. Please don't get offended as there is no way I mean you as an example. NO, not at all! Scratch building assumed to fabricate parts for your model by your own from raw material. Okay Jim, you didn't tell us something we don't know. dah!! Yes, nothing new, but the same part you can make using hand tools (old school) also can be made using power tools. However, if you don't have experience using disk sander or table saw you will get frustrated, ...and most importantly, can hurt yourself! I am glad you haven't use the table saw yet, it is very dangerous tools, you can easily cut your fingers, thought. Please don't use until get familiar!!! You will gain necessary skills with experience. You have to learn how to use power tools first. Check youtube videos...look for the books. But most important, don't stop modeling...maybe it is not your time for scratch build yet. I have some modeling experience under my belt, but have not build any scratch-build model yet ;) But I am sure I will....

i actually have a full size table saw that i use and am well aware of how dangerous they can be , i just haven't used the small one for anything , sanding machines i haven't really used either but again i am careful and now only use it on things that i can control , as far as scratch building , i am very interested in this aspect of the hobby, although it doesn't show in my signature (i will have to update it ) i have built between 5 - 7 kits , mostly corel but i can recall one mamolli and a billings now that i think about it . also model aeroplanes for at least 30 years , i was thinking about joining the blandford cross section build as a starting point so was trying to get tools together for that , i am not offended and don't get offended easily but i also haven't had any of the models that i have made looked at by any one other than my family , i did , for the first time , start a build log , its a little scarey but everyone has been nice and hopefully it will encourage me to produce better models in the future

i was thinking about joining the blandford cross section build as a starting point so was trying to get tools together for that
Great ideya!! Please join the group build and folks can definitely help you!

also haven't had any of the models that i have made looked at by any one other than my family
...Then, we are the ones who want to see those models!!! Yes, absolutely, why not? It is your models and you should be proud. Please post the photos, we'd like to see them!

its a little scarey but everyone has been nice and hopefully it will encourage me to produce better models in the future
Thank you! ...as you said, we are strive to help and I am sure you will gain an experience to produce good models! But wait...maybe they are already great , we have not seen yet. ;)

If you know a good electrician they can make a variable speed controller easy and cheap.

Just need a good heavy extension cord, wall outlet box, dimmer switch and cover plate.

You put the dimmer in center of cord and for most basic motors they will work at variable speeds as dialed by dimmer.

Just need to check the load rating on dimmer switch.

AGAIN IF YOU HAVE A MENARDS STORE NEAR YOU I STRONGLY RECCOMEND YOU GO THERE, THEY VERY GOOD ITEMS, AT A RESONABLE PRICE THE BAND SAW THAT I HAVE IS A PERFORMAX $124.00, BYRNEYS CLOSE TO $400.00 HOW MANY MORE TOOLS CAN YOU BY WITH THATB SAVINGS AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED BETTER THEN A TABLE SAW MORE VERSITLE, ALSO THEY HAVE A DISK SANDER $39.00 VARIABLE SPEED, THE BAND SAW AND DRILL PRESS -PLUS OTHERS CANJ BE USED AS BIG BOY PROJECTS WHEN NEEDED, OVER PRICED HOBBY TOOLS ARE LIMITED, YOUR PREFERENCE THIS IS JUST ME, GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

i understand why the byrnes table saw is so expensive , quality cost money , what i'm not sure about is why its so useful ? , so please enlighten me

Hello Antony, if you have and using a full-size table saw I am not sure you will need enlightenment. Absolutely for the same reason- to mill the lumber, mini lumber. :)

what i mean is , i would have thought a scroll saw or band saw was more useful ,
It well depends on what type of job you need to do. If you need to mill hull or deck planking (1.0 x 4.0 x 500), I hardly see this can be done on neither scroll nor band saw, At the same time, if you need to cut out bulkheads, for example, table saw is not the tool you will use.

Back