Tools and Jigs

Hello all,

I am searching for good resources for ship building tools and jigs. Also how to videos...I have seen a number of videos on YouTube but am looking for those that aren’t available there.

I am brand new to the hobby and don’t want to spend a fortune on unneeded/unnecessary things but don’t mind spending the money on quality tools and jigs that are needed. I have been building scale model airplanes for about a year or so and I love it but want to expand my skills into ships. I am familiar with on-line hobby shops and Micro Mark and am looking for the ship building speciality sites/stores.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Any advice on what ship/kit to start with would also appreciated. I have thought about the Occre Albatros or Polaris.
Thanks,

FrankJ

Last edited:
Hi Frank, welcome to the best ship site on earth. You'll find tons of great info on ship modelling in the build logs. The guys who log show and tell how they do each step, it's the most invaluable tool you can get.

https://modelexpo-online.com/ has an ok selection of tools to get started with, but Ebay is also your friend, usually lower prices and Model Expo sells there too.

Now I'll let the guys more advanced and more knollagable than me chime in, they'll fix you right up :)

Hello all,

I am searching for good resources for ship building tools and jigs. Also how to videos...I have seen a number of videos on YouTube but am looking for those that aren’t available there.

I am brand new to the hobby and don’t want to spend a fortune on unneeded/unnecessary things but don’t mind spending the money on quality tools and jigs that are needed. I have been building scale model airplanes for about a year or so and I love it but want to expand my skills into ships. I am familiar with on-line hobby shops and Micro Mark and am looking for the ship building speciality sites/stores.

Any advice on what ship/kit to start with would also appreciated. I have thought about the Occre Albatros or Polaris.
Thanks,

FrankJ
Hello Frankie, and welcome aboard SOS!! We have dedicated threads made specifically, as they have been asked oftentimes.

Enjoy! But rest assured, if you need additional advice, we are here to help!

Hello all,

Thanks,

FrankJ
I have learned that hands-on is better than trusting catalogs. This hobby like many others becomes addictive in the search for that next better tool. It can drain a bank roll quickly if you/I am not careful.. Too many times what I ordered was not what I was expecting so asking around SoS is a good launch. PT-2

Hello Frank,

yes, this Forum can be your most valuable Tool :) - beside a good lighting for your desk!
If you built your scale Planes from wood, than you might already have most of the necessary tools (sharp knives, Sanding-block, needlefiles, Ruler,..) - and hopefully a good lighting ;)

Occre Polaris look like a good starter project, they designed it with the beginner in mind and also had quite nice YouTube-Workshops for their (newer) models like Polaris.

Have fun!

Hello all,

Thanks,

FrankJ
Hallo Frank and welcome on board of our forum.
no doubts, you will buy in future unnecessary tools - there will be no way out (we all made this experience already ) - but we try to reduce it as much as possible
and it is also possible, that some modelers like some tools more, other modelers do not like the same tools.......

Also a very good way is looking around in our special areas for tools and building methods etc.
13.JPG

and look around in our available building logs:
14.JPG

It will cost some time, but you will get a very good impression, which tools are used by the different modelers.

and if you have questions - do not hesitate to ask - we are a very friendly and helpful community

@Hobbit99 Good morning, Howard!

What is the error you are getting? I just check the link and it works as expected. In any event, if you still have trouble accessing it, please look at the topic from the main page. Beginners Corner - How to Get Started

Welcome aboard. As others have mentioned, if you have done any sort of modeling before you probably have most of what is necessary already. The desire to find new "gadgets" is something that we all go through. There are many good books on the topic of building ship models that also mention how to make many of the things you might need, However, I have found that for me the simpler the better. I don't have a large shop filled with ship modeling tools that won't get used, most of mine are hand tools that have been with me for years. Tools and jigs are a very personal item and most are acquired/made over the years.

@Hobbit99 Good morning, Howard!

What is the error you are getting? I just check the link and it works as expected. In any event, if you still have trouble accessing it, please look at the topic from the main page. Beginners Corner - How to Get Started

I guess some others have responded also. Here's a screen shot.....
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 1.15.31 PM.png

Back