Tool for tapering hull planks

JKB

Finally facing the scary task of planking the hull. In my research I saw someone using two metal (?) pieces to hold the planks while planning. Where can I find or make such a tool? can’t tell you how nice it is to have help. Jack

E12F6421-4949-4CD3-A4E8-61564090D881.jpeg

Here is the tool you are looking for (I think). It is made by Amati. However, it may damage your plane's blade as the tool has an aluminum top.

1643490614476.png 1643490677216.png

I use this tool, bought it a long time ago on AliEpress. You can make the similar one. Technically speaking, a simple board and two parallel planks should do it.

IMG_2279.JPEG IMG_2278.JPEG

That looks like the tool I've just bought. I tried to buy the plane but couldn't find one in stock. I decided that the vice would do and that I could do what I've done so far: craft knife, files and sandpaper/ sanding block. Time will tell if I'm right. I was thinking of your same problem. My other problem was bending the planks. I haven't made up my mind how to do that, yet.

Finally facing the scary task of planking the hull. In my research I saw someone using two metal (?) pieces to hold the planks while planning. Where can I find or make such a tool? can’t tell you how nice it is to have help. Jack

i used 2 pieces of flat stock from the local hardware store and either a vice or clamps to hold the metal tight together

post#75 on page 4

Take the metal strips off and replace with hardwood and you will have a good jig or better yet copy the whole thing out of hard wood.

I don't have any fancy tools, so planks are tapered using a cheap metal vise and razor knife or sanding block. The strip is clamped in place at the desired angle after marking a line on it with a pencil and sanded down to the level of the vice or to the pencil mark. I'm not worried about sanding marks on the vice jaws because the vice only cost $10.00. Besides, it stays rust free this way! :D

20220130_082208.jpg

20220130_082227.jpg

I don't have any fancy tools, so planks are tapered using a cheap metal vise and razor knife or sanding block. The strip is clamped in place at the desired angle after marking a line on it with a pencil and sanded down to the level of the vice or to the pencil mark. I'm not worried about sanding marks on the vice jaws because the vice only cost $10.00. Besides, it stays rust free this way! :D

View attachment 287405

View attachment 287406
Thank you for your suggestion. Jack

i used 2 pieces of flat stock from the local hardware store and either a vice or clamps to hold the metal tight together

post#75 on page 4

A great idea. Thank you. Jack

Or you could make a simple jig of two pieces of wood and adjusting knob. Small pieces of sandpaper are glued on the "jaws" to improve grip.

20220130_182751.jpg20220130_182832.jpg

My take on this is shown below. The usual pair of wooden strips bolted together to grip a plank.
I include an adjustable piece of 0.9 mm plywood between the boards to control how much of the plank is exposed for planing.
The chosen position of the spacer can be maintained with clips on the exposed bottom edge for repeat taperings.
I have angled the top edges of the clamps to allow planing at a slight angle for better edge to edge contact of adjacent planks on a curved bulkhead.
Plank taper 1.jpg
plank taper 2.jpg

I use the sandpaper method. 1. pencil line on planking, 2. I use a sears 4x36 sander and sand to the line 3. adjust the sandpaper grit to obtain the proper edge.

That looks like the tool I've just bought. I tried to buy the plane but couldn't find one in stock. I decided that the vice would do and that I could do what I've done so far: craft knife, files and sandpaper/ sanding block. Time will tell if I'm right. I was thinking of your same problem. My other problem was bending the planks. I haven't made up my mind how to do that, yet.
My preferred bending method is soak them then clamp into position on the hull to set dry. The plank has then taken all the bends and twists.WP_20200708_002.jpg

I use the Amati version, the all aluminum one noted above. I clamp the plank firmly and just use a sharp no. 11 blade to slice down the plank. I found using the blade works quicker and cleaner than a plane. I have found the Amati tool quick, easy, and accurate.

I use the Amati version, the all aluminum one noted above. I clamp the plank firmly and just use a sharp no. 11 blade to slice down the plank. I found using the blade works quicker and cleaner than a plane. I have found the Amati tool quick, easy, and accurate.
Jim, Itried to find the Amati tool shown above with no luck. Any ideas of where at I can look? Jack

Take the metal strips off and replace with hardwood and you will have a good jig or better yet copy the whole thing out of hard wood.
Good suggestion. I bought that plank holder a while back and I've used it more as an vice and all purpose holding tool than for its originally intended purpose.

Jim, Itried to find the Amati tool shown above with no luck. Any ideas of where at I can look? Jack
Good question. I did not find it initially searching for Amati. What I did find was the Mantua version in Cornwall Models in the UK (shipping is easy} (Mantua Strip Clamp - 8155). I also found the Mantua version on Amazon. Mantua Model 8155 Strip Clamp and Hull Vise for Ship Model Building My thinking is that it is not an Amati tool but rather from Mantua. Now, I said to self...get my clamp down from the shelf and see who made it...mine is from Panart (Italy) with the same number, 8155. So go figure...and I don't remember where I got the Panart version...it has been too long ago now.

Last edited:
Soaking and clamping prior to gluing sounds good to me, especially as I don't want the cut brass pin shanks showing, as the instructions show for my San Francisco II model. I'll be reading this thread a fair bit before I start the planking! There are some good tips here.

Back