The WoodBook!

Dear SOS builders -

Hello everyone – I hope all is going well with your builds! I thought I would share with you a book that I received a short while ago from a friend titled "The WoodBook" The Complete Plates of American Woods (1888-1913, 1928) by Romeyn Beck Hough, Taschen publishing, 2007 (original ed. 2002) with app. 800 pages - and yes, it's about wood.

The reason why I feel this book might be of interest to SOS or anyone who deals in wood is that often I read about how other builders are at times confused as to the type of wood that is being used on a build or how to tell the difference between a soft or hard wood, color differences or the origin of the wood. Furthermore, some of the woods that are supplied by model ship dealers can be quite daunting – some are obvious – others are not – some are unknown. Where does the novice or professional builder even look to answer these questions?

The above-mentioned book is beautifully presented with hundreds of wood species found all over the world. What makes this book so interesting is that the woods are arranged in alphabetical order and represented with three cross-sectional cuts of wood: transverse section, radial section and tangential section. It also demonstrates the particular characteristics of the grain and the wealth of colors and textures that are found in many woods.

The books text includes Latin, English, German, French and Spanish names and information including the many different families, description, habitat, wood characteristics, as well as a comprehensive Index at the back of the book. The book can be purchased on Amazon, Ebay, etc. for around $65.00-100.00 US dollars depending on the dealer.

I personally feel that The WoodBook can be an excellent go-to-book for anyone looking to learn more about wood examples. This book not only can be used for research, but it will definitely help one to understand more clearly the complex world of wood identification.

Best, wayne

I did not see a book you are describing. May be it is much better than the source I go for wood species identification.

I did not see a book you are describing. May be it is much better than the source I go for wood species identification.

Y.T. - Just google "The WoodBook" by Romeyn Beck Hough, Taschen publishing, 2007!

Dear SOS builders -

Hello everyone – I hope all is going well with your builds! I thought I would share with you a book that I received a short while ago from a friend titled "The WoodBook" The Complete Plates of American Woods (1888-1913, 1928) by Romeyn Beck Hough, Taschen publishing, 2007 (original ed. 2002) with app. 800 pages - and yes, it's about wood.

The reason why I feel this book might be of interest to SOS or anyone who deals in wood is that often I read about how other builders are at times confused as to the type of wood that is being used on a build or how to tell the difference between a soft or hard wood, color differences or the origin of the wood. Furthermore, some of the woods that are supplied by model ship dealers can be quite daunting – some are obvious – others are not – some are unknown. Where does the novice or professional builder even look to answer these questions?

The above-mentioned book is beautifully presented with hundreds of wood species found all over the world. What makes this book so interesting is that the woods are arranged in alphabetical order and represented with three cross-sectional cuts of wood: transverse section, radial section and tangential section. It also demonstrates the particular characteristics of the grain and the wealth of colors and textures that are found in many woods.

The books text includes Latin, English, German, French and Spanish names and information including the many different families, description, habitat, wood characteristics, as well as a comprehensive Index at the back of the book. The book can be purchased on Amazon, Ebay, etc. for around $65.00-100.00 US dollars depending on the dealer.

I personally feel that The WoodBook can be an excellent go-to-book for anyone looking to learn more about wood examples. This book not only can be used for research, but it will definitely help one to understand more clearly the complex world of wood identification.

Best, wayne
Thanks Wayne for the info on the book. I just ordered the 2013 edition as I didn't even know what Hornbeam wood was. Peter Gutterman was kind enough to bring it to my attention as an excellent wood for deck planking. Magic Mike

Magic Mike - I'm glad you found information on Hornbeam wood in the above mentioned WoodBook. Hope you find more unknown
woods for your build. Best, wayne

Back