The Monster Book Of Monsters

Admins - I could not determine where to put this post. If appropriate, please feel free to move it.

I saw this little chap as a film prop at Harry Potter World, so thought I would make one for a Christmas gift. I started in early November and am glad I did, because it took a while longer than I thought it would. That's why my Mary Rose log has not been updated for some time.

First thing was to buy a wooden book box from Amazon; at this price it's just not worth making one, but I wanted a big one so that the box would be of practical use and not just an ornament.

I built up the edges with planking to make them more pronounced and help with later processes. Holes also drilled around the edges-

20231108_131716.jpg

Aluminium wire inserted to represent the tentacles -

20231108_140752.jpg

Para cord wrapped around to bulk them out a bit and give the filler something to key to -

20231109_123336.jpg

The filler I plumped for was an Isopon fibre glass paste, having previously used it to good effect in repairing a garden ornament -

20231112_124555.jpg

Final adjustment on the bottom tentacles -

20231112_151046.jpg

Bottom tentacles covered in fibre glass, Milliput epoxy tips added to hopefully make them quite hard wearing -

20231114_163111.jpg

Off to the garage for a very dusty couple of hours of grinding back and shaping with a small drum sander attachment in my Proxxon -

20231117_154851.jpg

I used an air drying clay from the local Hobbycraft store to get the final shape and when dry add the suckers. This clay is good to work with and smooths well with a wet finger. The clay is best left to dry overnight and dries very hard -

20231120_151728.jpg

He needs a face which I modelled on a sheet of balsa -

20231122_144606.jpg

20231122_144619.jpg

When this had dried overnight the balsa sheet had buckled and cracked the face. I managed to get it off the sheet in three pieces, PVA it to a new sheet and fill the cracks.

He wouldn't be much of a monster without some teeth. The gums I made by laminating some balsa sheet and then some hand carving and rotary tool work. The teeth at the moment are pinned bits of dowel in order to get the spacings right for the gum ridges -

20231203_150501.jpg20231203_150513.jpg

My plan was to then cover the gums in a thin layer of clay, but this was a disaster, so I pulled it off. To get the definition I wanted involved several coats of lacquer with sanding in between to fill the grain and this was a much better result.

Part 2 below.

Last edited:
Admins - I could not determine where to put this post. If appropriate, please feel free to move it.

I saw this little chap as a film prop at Harry Potter World, so thought I would make one for a Christmas gift. I started in early November and am glad I did, because it took a while longer than I thought it would. That's why my Mary Rose log has not been updated for some time.

First thing was to buy a wooden book box from Amazon; at this price it's just not worth making one, but I wanted a big one so that the box would be of practical used and not just an ornament.

I built up the edges with planking to make them more pronounced and help with later processes. Holes also drilled around the edges-

View attachment 416937

Aluminium wire inserted to represent the tentacles -

View attachment 416938

Para cord wrapped around to bulk them out a bit and give the filler something to key to -

View attachment 416939

The filler I plumped for was an Isopon fibre glass paste, having previously used it to good effect in repairing a garden ornament -

View attachment 416940

Final adjustment on the bottom tentacles -

View attachment 416941

Bottom tentacles covered in fibre glass, Milliput epoxy tips added to hopefully make them quite hard waring -

View attachment 416942

Off to the garage for a very dusty couple of hours of grinding back and shaping with a small drum sander attachment in my Proxxon -

View attachment 416943

I used an air drying clay from the local Hobbycraft store to get the final shape and when dry add the suckers. This clay is good to work with and smooths well with a wet finger. The clay is best left to dry overnight and dries very hard -

View attachment 416946

He needs a face which I modelled on a sheet of balsa -

View attachment 416947

View attachment 416948

When this had dried overnight the balsa sheet had buckled and cracked the face. I managed to get it off the sheet in three pieces, PVA it to a new sheet and fill the cracks.

He wouldn't be much of a monster without some teeth. The gums I made by laminating some balsa sheet and then some hand carving and rotary tool work. The teeth at the moment are pinned bits of dowel in order to get the spacings right for the gum ridges -

View attachment 416970View attachment 416971

My plan was to then cover the gums in a thin layer of clay, but this was a disaster, so I pulled it off. To get the definition I wanted involved several coats of lacquer with sanding in between to fill the grain and this was a much better result.

Part 2 below.

Messing around with colours (acrylic). The centres of the suckers are dotted red, the inner surfaces of the tentacles ended up buff with a touch of white. To represent the tattered pages I gouged the surface with a tiny flat ended router bit (a job I should have done much earlier in the build) and gave it an initial colour wash. The outer surface of the tentacles have been textured by spong-dabbing on a thin clay slip -

20231207_132928.jpg

The top and outer surfaces of the tentacles are light grey straight out of the bottle. Colour highlights on the tentacles is black pastel chalk rubbed in with a very chalky finger -

20231216_143229.jpg

We're back at the dentist. Dowel pegs removed and replaced with Milliput teeth -

20231217_104358.jpg

and coloured -

20231217_141948.jpg

Text courtesy of my wife and her amazing Cricut machine. Time to give him a coat, so I got some faux fur Wolf pelt from a craft store. I stuck it on with thinned Gorilla wood glue which dries clear. In order to get the lie of the fur correct around the face and title texts I cut tufts off the pelt and stuck them on one by one. Edges first -

20231219_095704.jpg

and working towards the back edge -

20231219_201447.jpg

Eyes fixed in, teeth attached, 'pages' rubbed with several shades of chalk to give texture and highlights, hinges on and he's done -

20231224_113540.jpg

20231224_113548.jpg

20231224_113526.jpg

20231224_113604.jpg

20231228_150408.jpg

It has been a very interesting project and I have been on new ground with techniques I have not done before, especially sculpting. But well worth it because my wife loves him. Hope you enjoyed it, too.

Next job is a thorough clean of my work area to get rid of the plaster splashes, plaster dust and fur fluff which is everywhere, then it's back on the Mary Rose.

Happy New Year to you all and keep well.

Back