THE MASTING AND RIGGING OF ENGLISH SHIPS OF WAR 1625-1860 By James Lees

I purchased this book hoping it would reveal for me the enigma of how to rig my Victory model. I was disappointed to find that it will not help. This book is great to have as a history manuscript describing in pretty good detail with nice drawings how they built the masts, spars, yards, sails, some rigging auxiliaries and so on in the period 1625-1860. Book is written using nautical terms I do not know and hardly anyone knows these days. When they say a "'mast head" I want to know what part of the mast they referring to. When they say here you belay a "topsail clueline" I have no idea what they are referring to. On my model I am at the point to understand the belaying plans so I can provide enough rings, cleats and so on before I glue in the masts permanently. What would be a book reference where they have a drawing showing the ship rigging parts (lines, rope names, yards, masts, blocks) with arrows pointing at them and using nautical terms from all the books? I would appreciate some help here.

Last edited:
If I remembrer, I propose the book for helping you. I feel sorry to misguided your purchase. I never saw on the web a book that responded all you criters presented here.

Yes. I have Rigging period ship models by Lennarth Petersson. It does not have explanation of all rigging line nautical terms I must know to rig the Victoy.

My last hope is this book. It could shed the light on ancient nautical terms issues. I had it in a digital form for a while (by the way totally free of copyright issues) but I do not like digital books of this size to read on screen. I must have a paper book to appreciate its value. I ordered this one too. I will let you know how it helped.

Attachments

• Patterson's Illustrated Nautical Dictionary, unabridged 1891.pdf
    24.3 MB · Views: 232
I very much appreciate the work Mr Lees had done. He for sure wanted to preserve the ship building knowledge for future generations. He however used the terms in his book that people today don’t understand.

Last edited:
I purchased this book hoping it would reveal for me the enigma of how to rig my Victory model. I was disappointed to find that it will not help. This book is great to have as a history manuscript describing in pretty good detail with nice drawings how they built the masts, spars, yards, sails, some rigging auxiliaries and so on in the period 1625-1860. Book is written using nautical terms I do not know and hardly anyone knows these days. When they say a "'mast head" I want to know what part of the mast they referring to. When they say here you belay a "topsail clueline" I have no idea what they are referring to. On my model I am at the point to understand the belaying plans so I can provide enough rings, cleats and so on before I glue in the masts permanently. What would be a book reference where they have a drawing showing the ship rigging parts (lines, rope names, yards, masts, blocks) with arrows pointing at them and using nautical terms from all the books? I would appreciate some help here.
It is a very good book

It is perfectly OK. I enjoy having this book. Just looking for some unanswered questions.
Have you been able to get a copy of Arthur Bugler's book (H.M.S. Victory. Building, restoration & repair) on the restoration of the Victory? I got it through interlibrary loan. It may provide some of the answers you are looking for as to what a particular yard is and where the various leads start, are routed and eventually tied off/belayed.

Have you been able to get a copy of Arthur Bugler's book (H.M.S. Victory. Building, restoration & repair) on the restoration of the Victory? I got it through interlibrary loan. It may provide some of the answers you are looking for as to what a particular yard is and where the various leads start, are routed and eventually tied off/belayed.
Be careful -> the Bugler should have two volumes

Be careful -> the Bugler should have two volumes
It does! I have my library here order it from the Duke University library because I know it has the 2-vol. set. I have gotten it twice already. At >$600, I certainly cannot afford a copy so getting a loaner is quite helpful. I am building a cross section model (Corel) that is woefully inaccurate. I am also working on a Corel Vasa that is also in need of major corrections.

There are so many books dedicated to HMS Victory that this book is not detailed enough
Restoration and repair of Nelson's Ships is one Longridge HMS Victory by McGowen is another
Both super and give details drawings of every part of Victory's rigging both are available on Amazon at sencible prices
Bulger does not give anywaere near the detail but does inclde 1q:48 scale drawings

I used The Anatomy of Nelsons Ships by Longridge when I rigged my Victory. I found it excellent with a lot of detailed drawings and images which help to identify a lot of the rigging terms. But not all. You must have some rigging knowledge and I have not seen a single book that covers all your needs.
Rigging of ships 1600-1720 by Anderson is also quite useful

Restoration and repair of Nelson's Ships is one Longridge HMS Victory by McGowen is another
Bulger does not give anywaere near the detail
Hi ,I am confused. Is there some mix up of book titles and authors here?

There is The Anatomy of Nelson`s Ships by Longridge, C. Nepean. I have this book and find it far from being sufficient to rig a Victory with my newbie knowledge of the subject.

I do not have any books by McGowen but find just only one on internet. It is HMS "Victory": Her Construction, Career and Restoration by Alan McGowan. Is it the one you mentioned? How good is it for modelling the rigging?

There was a third book mentioned in this thread. It is H.M.S. VICTORY - Building, restoration & repair (2 Volume set with Text + Drawings) by Arthur Bugler. This one is probably very good but very expensive. Something in range of $500 minimum for both volumes.

Note that I am looking only for information on detailed rigging of Victory. I have more than enough information on the hull details.

Whilst not intending to be advice about rigging British ships, when I recently commenced showing interest in ships etc I watches the following YT video. I found it most helpful in finding my way around the ship's rigging anatomy. The many alien terms given to many of the rigging parts is described in it.

Really clear and helpful.

I hope this helps you as well as it did me.

Back