The Druid Build

I have started the druid build my first POF kit!! I started as Donnie suggested building the framing jig, and started assembling the ribs this looks like quite a job each rib is 2 layers and there are a lot of them!! took me a while to figure out the rib sequence sometimes I can be really headed, but I took a break overnight and it finally came to me so now I am off!! the framing jig was pretty straightforward, but as Donnie mentioned in his build care will be taken to ensure the jig is plumb, as that could be the most important part of the build!!! if it is wrong everything will be wrong! I will attach some pictures as I get a little more along.

Hi Bandido
Looking forward to follow your build
Are your using a kit for this build?
Yes,
Slow and correct wins the race, its better to double check your self than kick your behind when you realize you have done something wrong while building in a hurry.
You are so right there Kurt, been there done that!!!
I am using the ZHL Purchased Kit

I have started the druid build my first POF kit!! I started as Donnie suggested building the framing jig, and started assembling the ribs this looks like quite a job each rib is 2 layers and there are a lot of them!! took me a while to figure out the rib sequence sometimes I can be really headed, but I took a break overnight and it finally came to me so now I am off!! the framing jig was pretty straightforward, but as Donnie mentioned in his build care will be taken to ensure the jig is plumb, as that could be the most important part of the build!!! if it is wrong everything will be wrong! I will attach some pictures as I get a little more along.

IMG_20231022_190509310.jpg

IMG_20231022_190524802.jpg

IMG_20231023_172932858.jpg

So far everything I have assembled fits good. The plans / directions are nothing to rave about You really have to pay attention. Again, Donnie's build of the druid, will help immensely. After The ZHL Soleil Royal build, everything looks good :rolleyes: Reading other guys builds of the ZHL Druid with very few complaints, other than the plans,

Been working on the rib assemblies this will take a while! Been doing a lot of thinking about the POF framing jig alignment? How do I ensure the top and bottom of the jig are in alignment, so the uprights can be glued in place, I have attached a couple of pictures of my first idea I placed one of the completed ribs in the appropriate section of the jig and then used the squares to align the bottom along the same line by adjusting the jig. any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

IMG_20231026_175642504.jpg

IMG_20231026_175710005.jpg

Been working on the rib assemblies this will take a while! Been doing a lot of thinking about the POF framing jig alignment? How do I ensure the top and bottom of the jig are in alignment, so the uprights can be glued in place, I have attached a couple of pictures of my first idea I placed one of the completed ribs in the appropriate section of the jig and then used the squares to align the bottom along the same line by adjusting the jig. any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

View attachment 402626

View attachment 402627
Maybe before putting any frames in check the top and bottom of the jig are aligned using the same square?

took a break from making the frames and started assembling the Keel parts, I am as Donnie did laying the parts out over the plan sheet of the keel, I have found that the Keel parts need to be trimmed up a little, so they match the drawings. My other issue is with the keel frame notches not being at a true 90 degree due to the Lazer cutting issues mentioned in Donnie's build. I do not have a mill and do not know how to use one anyway. so will use a file I guess? but will work on that using the actual frames and a square!!
So far, the kit seems to be accurate. no real issues yet? But again, not much for written instruction, !! but can see that the keel frames and jig will need to be square, no room for error!!

Back