The Black Pearl

In Seattle, WA is the company Facinations. Their Metal Earth 3D Metal Models have become fairly popular since 2012. Designed similar to photo-etched parts, these scale models are assembled by bending/shaping the parts and them assembling them carefully with folded tabs. The results make for an interesting table top model that is very easy to build. Metal Earth has a very impressive line of models and continues to add more kits every year. I have collected and built many of them.

One of the kits Metal Earth sells is the Black Pearl. When completed the model is about 1:700 scale. It loosely resembles the Black Pearl ship from the movies as you can clearly see the unique figure head and captains cabin design. The interesting thing is how Metal Earth describes the Black Pearl. In the product description they say the Black Pearl was a real ship, sailed by Henry Morgan from 1669 - 1671 to include his invasion of Panama. While Henry Morgan is an actual historical figure and his exploits well documented, there is no truth regarding him having owned a ship named the Black Pearl, much less it having a resemblance to the movie ship. This is interesting but we will save it as another topic for a discussion at another time.

Here is the link to the Metal Earth site for their Black Pearl model: https://fascinations.com/metalearth/ships/black-pearl

Below is a picture of my Metal Earth Black Pearl model. Enjoy and sail on.

IMG_0210.jpg

There once was a real ship named Black Pearl captained by Henry Morgan, one of the world’s most notorious pirates.

this could very well be thought of as a fairy tale and you can say anything you want in a fairy tale.

for example

Once apon a time there was a princess living in a castle protected by a dragon from the evil warlord.

so this Black Pearl is not tied to the Disney movies or the story of Jack Sparrow but it is a Black Pearl pirate ship that kind of, sort of looks like the one seen in the movies. If you saw the movies and are a fan of the pirate adventure story it is your imagination that ties the kit to the story.

way down in the corner in small type it states
Seattle, WA 98148 USA
All designs are registered Copyright of Fascinations, Inc.
Fascinations, Inc. enforces its copyrights to the full extent of the law.

they take copyrights serious and must have some clue about them
and there we have it another Black Pearl

Last edited:
from what I know about this ship - at disney it was originally known as " the Wicked Wench" in their "Pirates of the Carribean" fun park/area. Here is a link to the free paper model of it for thise that might be interested.

from what I know about this ship - at disney it was originally known as " the Wicked Wench" in their "Pirates of the Carribean" fun park/area. Here is a link to the free paper model of it for thise that might be interested.

now that is an official Disney product its free just don't try to resell it or copy it to another site.

In Ontario, California is a company Old Modern Handicrafts. They produce many different craft products. Among them are pre-built scale sailing ship models. The company states that all of their sailing ship models are built using traditional POF/POB methods based on original plans and photographs. Hundreds of hours go into building each model.

Old Modern Handicrafts offers not one but 2 models of the Black Pearl. One 35" long and one 28" long. They are very detailed but do not appear as accurate to me as the version from Model Ship Master. The details on the figurehead and statue carvings are not very crisp. The sails are quite thick and the shape of the captain's cabin does not seem right. The product description openly advertises this model as being recreation of the ship from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Remember, this is an American company. Here is a link to the 35" version of the product: https://omhusa.com/productsdetails.asp?productId=1755

Micro-Mark is a well known American company that I am sure many of you have purchased tools, supplies and perhaps kits from. Established in 1928, they are based out of Newark, NJ. Mirco-Mark sells the 35" version of the Black Pearl from Old Modern Handicrafts for $819.95. They also advertise it as being the Black Pearl from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Here is the link: https://www.micromark.com/Black-Pearl-Pirate-Ship-Fully-Assembled

Here is a You Tube video of the Old Modern Handicrafts Black Pearl model. Not the best version in my opinion. But very expensive, and sold in the USA.

Description: A great item for the Pirate of the Caribbean movie fans! This is an outstanding FULLY ASSEMBLED wood model of the Black Pearl;

once again it states an item for the movie fans. Nothing about a Disney product nor anything to do with Disney except the connection made by you and the pirate adventure story.

Last edited:
a world wide phenomenon
in China, Japan, Russia, Europe and the United States and all of North America everywhere you see the pirate adventure story and products connected to it. It has become clear it is you the people that make the connections.
I can take a block of wood paint it black and put a stick for a mast in it and it carries you away into the adventure.

a world wide phenomenon
in China, Japan, Russia, Europe and the United States and all of North America everywhere you see the pirate adventure story and products connected to it. It has become clear it is you the people that make the connections.
I can take a block of wood paint it black and put a stick for a mast in it and it carries you away into the adventure.

Dave I think there is a bit of a Romantic Cavalier hiding inside of you, ;););),

best regards John.

Dave I think there is a bit of a Romantic Cavalier hiding inside of you,

its in all of us who build wooden sailing ships they are like a talisman a conduit to imagination, adventure craftsmanship of the highest order, ships are alive.

remind me of my early days of motorcycles I built from the ground up, turn the key and it comes alive the power and speed a freedom a rider feels.

this is the root of the Black Pearl story set in motion years ago by Walt Disney and continue to this day.

ZHL is a model company founded in China around 2008. They are both a manufacturer and reseller of scale model kits, accessories, tools and parts. The company was doing a strong business domestically in China prior reaching international markets beginning in 2010. They are now selling to more than 50 countries across the world and offer a huge catalog of scale model kits.

The Black Pearl was one of their first scale model kits and continues to be one of their top sellers today. ZHL has continuously updated their design and kit offerings of the Black Pearl and it may even have caused some confusion among the model building community. Today, ZHL offers THREE (3) different versions of their Black Pearl model for sale. There were others prior to that. Here is a summary of the information I have gathered.

2008 - 2016: Original ZHL Black Pearl kit. Plank on Bulkhead design. All original. Sold domestically inside China. In 2016, ZHL released this kit internationally as kit LM506 Golden Version 2016. It was sold as a 1:50 scale model but was actually more like 1:65 scale. It is the kit I own and I would consider this the original ZHL Black Pearl. The model measures out to about 32" in length and has no interior details. This kit (LM506) is no longer available.

2019: Golden 2019 Edition. Kit KML08. Plank on Bulkhead design. All original. This kit is an update to the original LM506 kit with more accurate details. The box and plans are also correctly annotated with 1:65 scale although the model measures out to the same 32" in length. This kit currently sells for $209 from ZHL. https://www.zhlmodel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&product_id=97

All Sealed Version: 2020. KL15S. Plank on Bulkhead design. All original. This kit actually uses an upscaled keel and bulkhead design from the older KML08 kit to create a larger 1:50 scale model that measures out to 38" long. In addition, this model includes updated exterior details that match the newer All Scenario Version that will be described next. You can think of this kit as a larger more detailed version of the Golden Edition. This kit currently sells for $399 from ZHL. https://www.zhlmodel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=52

All Scenario Version: 2016 - 2020. KL15. Plank on Bulkhead design. All original. This is a completely new kit from ZHL. It is 1:50 scale, 38" long, same exterior details as the KL15S kit but also has a cut-a-way interior similar to the old Hachette kit but with much more detail and much more accurate. For people looking for a top of the line kit of the Black Pearl to build... this is it. This kit currently sells for $459 from ZHL. https://www.zhlmodel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=50

All Black Pearl models from ZHL are advertised as being the ship from the movies. The legend of the Black Pearl described by ZHL is exactly the same as described in the movies. As you can see from above, it is impossible to broad brush ZHL in any description of its efforts to bring Black Pearl models to market. It has made many different model kits and continues to this day to evolve and improve the accuracy of this fantasy ship. ZHL even indicates this has been a difficult task since there are no actual historical plans for the Black Pearl since it never really existed.

As of today ... I could be wrong .... ZHL is the only company that offers a wooden scale model kit of the Black Pearl for sale on the international market.

Last edited:
This version is from 2011-2012

and that is the story of the ZHL Black Pearl and like all the other Black Pearl kits and models here in the states and around the world a Disney license is optional and depends if you want your Black Pearl tied to Disney as a product or not

we will be writing a blog on the Hachette Black Pearl soon and would like any objective background information and involvement provide by the designer Chris W a member here on the forum.

So that explains the amati fittings flipped upside down to pretend to be the stern decorations

I think I get it after watching the video the licensing from Disney has more to do with using clips from the movie than it does about a Black Pearl kit. Anyone can create a Black Pearl pirate ship model kit.

That and the fact the model is part of a "magazine publication that includes Disney imagery". It is not actually a "scale model kit". But let's not spoil the story. Oh and by the way.... just as a piece of trivia... the stern shot of the Black Pearl in that TV ad is actually the Queen Ann's Revenge and not the Black Pearl. LOL.

Back