Swan Class HMS Fly

Much appreciated.
My wife's the photographer. I'll need to see if she'll do some close ups of my RMS Titanic build.
I'm trying to do it like those old shipyard models that you see in places like Glasgow Riverside Museum, which holds many of the models of the ships built on the river clyde: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1_BAfRUG8Y

The one in the video link above is LARGE scale (1/64th i think and around 4metres long) built on the hull used for the test tank trials, but i like the way they do things like the sidelights etc, which although is not true to scale, with the brass flanges, is quite effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great idea. I can't wait to see it. (And/or the build log.) if the "Fly" is any indication we are in for a treat.

Here are some photos of my HMS Fly for your consideration.

I am now building something totally different - Billings 1/144 RMS Titanic (there are a LOT of windows, but much less rigging).View attachment 414493

View attachment 414497

View attachment 414500

View attachment 414502

View attachment 414505

View attachment 414506

View attachment 414507

View attachment 414508

View attachment 414509

View attachment 414512

View attachment 414513
Magnificent! Three cheers.

IT'S GORGEOUS!!
I have one to finish for a family who's father was building it but passed away two years ago. Reading through his build journal I found out he hasn't worked on it since February of 2012 & he put 1,038 hours into it. Just need to complete the upper masting, bowsprit the rigging of those items and some deck details.
I bought Bob Hunt's College of model ship building bundle #1 which covers that ship and rigging. Hopefully, I'll get to it in 2024...
I've only built the A/L Swift and my rigging job was less than stellar, so I want to tackle something in between the swift and the Fly for a skill builder. Plus building a Dumas 30" span Mr. Mulligan to fly in summer after that a 1/16" scale dairy barn for a friends grandson. That will be built using scale framing, siding, roofing...... I think it will be an awesome gift!
Merry Christmas everyone!!
Steve

A fantastic job. I had David Antscherl’s plans and directions, but I never completed my model. You have done justice to all the research with a beautiful model.
phil

To KeithLyall: I’m also building Occre’s Endurance. How long have you been at it? I’m just completing the second planking over Christmas; will be glad to put the odour of contact cement behind.
phil

Back