Surgical / dental loupes

I’ve used a headband magnifier for years because I also need to wear glasses but find that it gets uncomfortable pretty quickly as it’s heavy and bulky. Also, I’m finding that the clarity isn’t great but that could be just old age…

IMG_0819.png

Has anyone upgraded to a surgical / dental loupe? The one’s I have seen are $$$. I have talked to my dentist and dental hygienist about the ones they use and theirs are even more $$$$. If anybody has experience with these can you share your thoughts? What power magnification are you using? With a built in lamp or without?

IMG_0820.jpeg
(Photo from a website to clarify what I’m talking about)

Hi. I long time as ignored our members advises that one must buy very expensive and cumbersome to wear magnifies from some reputable company. Some forum members were saying that those are only worth buying. I just bought one on the picture below. They cost me about CAD $25. They came with box of various sizes of magnification lenses. I use them now for many years. They are light, comfortable and most important they allow me to work in miniature scales. I admit that their brackets broke a few times. I repaired them at no cost with some wood planks and scotch tape. Decide yourself what you want to buy.

IMG_0375.jpeg

Hi. I long time as ignored our members advises that one must buy very expensive and cumbersome to wear magnifies from some reputable company. Some forum members were saying that those are only worth buying. I just bought one on the picture below. They cost me about CAD $25. They came with box of various sizes of magnification lenses. I use them now for many years. They are light, comfortable and most important they allow me to work in miniature scales. I admit that their brackets broke a few times. I repaired them at no cost with some wood planks and scotch tape. Decide yourself what you want to buy.

View attachment 428614
Thanks Y.T. Do you wear glasses with these? Since I wear glasses as well as hearing aids, I’m not sure these would work in my situation.

Thanks Y.T. Do you wear glasses with these?

With these I do not wear glasses. My sight is not perfect I wear glasses only for distance when driving or watching TV I do not wear glasses when work with computer. On this set of magnifiers I only wear 1.5X and sometimes 2X lenses. I never do any modeling assembly without these magnifiers.

I still use (they are very old and have been glued back together several times) the type you have pictured Oliver. Over the years I have tried a lot and those are the only ones I have found to work well. I tried the kind that Y.T. has and could never get the vison to work well, but I must wear glasses with them. That could be the reason I couldn't get them to work well.. I returned them to Amazon. Last week as was at my dentist who uses similar to your image above. His entire staff uses them. I put his on to try out. The problem was they are for looking in a persons mouth and are restricted to a very small area. To me they couldn't be used for ship building. dockatter is a dentist. He may add his comments on glasses.

I am blind. My computer is in Braille. It is a bit bumpy, but I will get there, eventually. You guy's crack me up!

I wear my old retired surgical loupes. They are Carl Zeiss and head mounted. No light but one can be attached.

I use x4 magnification, but you can get them in lower magnification and different focal lengths too.

I do all my modeling with them on, you can wear glasses or not, and also I wear a respirator mask when using CA glue, sanding or painting with solvents or enamels.

They are not cheap but this pair, which I used at work previously is over 30 years old. The newer versions are a bit more space age looking.

IMG_3008.jpeg

Hi Chestcutter (there's a unique name! :) ). Would the surgical lenses have a much wider field of vision from the dental type? Thank you.

I wear my old retired surgical loupes. They are Carl Zeiss and head mounted. No light but one can be attached.

I use x4 magnification, but you can get them in lower magnification and different focal lengths too.

I do all my modeling with them on, you can wear glasses or not, and also I wear a respirator mask when using CA glue, sanding or painting with solvents or enamels.

They are not cheap but this pair, which I used at work previously is over 30 years old. The newer versions are a bit more space age looking.

View attachment 428626
Don't go out on the street like that, people could get scared.

I tried all sorts of magnifiers during the years but I ended up using my set of glasses which is made bifocal for this very purpose and has a 3x magnification. This is completely enough so I realise that I am not even looking for those fancy magnifiers at all, so the bifocals are working.
János

Hi Chestcutter (there's a unique name! :) ). Would the surgical lenses have a much wider field of vision from the dental type? Thank you.
The Carl Zeiss loupes are used by dentists and other medical professionals. My field of view is about 40mm. There are some brands that have special wide FOV.

Designs for visions have an extensive range.

https://www.designsforvision.com/SurgHtml/S-Panoramic.htm

I personally don’t like the glasses mounted loupes, as they are heavy on the nose and ears. Head mounted are much better.

I ended up using my set of glasses which is made bifocal for this very purpose and has a 3x magnification.
Thank you for a great idea. I will just order 1.5X glasses at opticians. No bifocals. I recall that many years ago such glasses were sold in Walmart and cost just a few dollars.

Y.T. Those reading glasses are still available in a lot of places. Most drug stores. Walmart still has them. I have several sets ranging from 2.0 - 4.0

View attachment 428614
Just got myself a pair. Thanks for posting

Back