surface preparation

I am building the La Soleil Royal and the upper area of the ship call for Blue Paint My question is about the surface did they just paint over the planking or did they prep fill and sand the surface before painting

The wales of the ships were also painted - in black colour -> and the planking was visible, so I guess it was the same way on the blue surface areas of the Soleil Royal......
but it is a pure guess ....

maybe our member Marc alias @Hubac’s Historian can tell us more .....

The wales of the ships were also painted - in black colour -> and the planking was visible, so I guess it was the same way on the blue surface areas of the Soleil Royal......
but it is a pure guess ....

maybe our member Marc alias @Hubac’s Historian can tell us more .....

No, you are right I was just wondering thanks for the build article

1. There was no such thing as primer 300 years ago. They just painted whatever paint they had over the wood as it was
2. In particular, blue paint was VERY expensive. If they were fortunate to have blue paint, they used every drop. No such thing as painting it on an "sanding it off".

1. There was no such thing as primer 300 years ago. They just painted whatever paint they had over the wood as it was
2. In particular, blue paint was VERY expensive. If they were fortunate to have blue paint, they used every drop. No such thing as painting it on an "sanding it off".
I know they did not have sealer 300 years ago!!! and I am not talking about fishing boats but the Cadillacs of the Sea!! they had all the money in the world to invest in their ships they were statements to the country they were from!! I just thought they might have prepared the wood for the paint from what I understand the interiors were just beautiful!! as the exteriors were probably finished in some areas?

Back