Strange masting on USS President

Hello all. I need some help. I found an old painting of USS President ca. approx 1805 in a storm, anchored and fighting off wind and waves. I noticed that the mast doubling looks weird, with much more overlap than I have ever seen, as if they were jury rigged or something. Can anyone provide some insight on what I am looking at? Photo below, and thank you!Screenshot_20220630-211353_Chrome.jpg

Hi Bluemaxone!

P7020206.JPG
Source: "La belle aventure de ,L'Hermione", Gallimard 2016, page 98.

Lowering the upper masts and yards is still practiced today. In the photo of the "Hermione" as training at sea. It belongs with the sail away to reduce wind resistance and improve the center of gravity. The "Hermione" usually has to reduce its height to sail on rivers under low bridges.

Best regards
Thomas

Okay! Makes sense. Would explain why the upper shrouds are loose and bowed out in the painting. The ship was experiencing a bad storm, and so your explanation of wind resistance is right on. Thank you.

I attach a picture of a model of a frigate that seems to replicate the completion of the standing rigging, i.e., the model is finished but the ship is shown "in construction." The masts are retracted. I like the look, so intend to copy this look in my 3/16 in. President.

Screenshot_20220208-001932_Chrome.jpg

BTW Thomas, I meant to ask about the foremast in the painting. It looks like a large short mast is installed right behind it. I am puzzled by this. Was this a way of temporarily bracing the mast in preparation for a storm?

I'm not sure how a "big" model takes any longer, unless you consider there are more details visible, or noticeably absent on a larger model.
Lowering the the top hamper in expectation of, or even during a blow, is simply good seamanship. It also makes the model much easier to fit into the car when you take it to the lake.

Constellation 1:36 scale RC sloop of war, 1856:
con20161026za.jpg

Back